United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2021, 09:16 PM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
We were all young and foolish
As we all were at some point. We wanted this manager sacked.
Couldn’t see a team in any of these signings at the time.
Not saying it’s the same scenario but makes you think
Makes you drink too

Unread 26-10-2021, 10:11 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You've got to dream pal, especially with this shit show. Otherwise you end up like Saffers celebrating defeats, or the good Dr wearing out a keyboard every week.
How DARE you.

I’m offended.

And the reasons are 42-fold.

Reason 1:

….

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:11 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The taste of...
Makes you drink too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rLiVWTx20Us
Just as well really, there's a good chance that might be part of SAF's reasoning though.

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:17 PM
avocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Pages and pages of abuse in loads of threads.

All because of a differing view on football.

The ole doubters never ever abused him, hes a club legend. It was always constructive criticism. But the cult couldnt have any dissenting views.

Theres loads of threads like this.

Hard to take some of those guys seriously ever again. It wasnt just belief in Ole. It was pure delusion and complete hatred for anyone who disagreed. If you didnt post during a game we won you would be hunted downed, PMd and abused for not posting.

Cult.
Pot. Kettle. Have you ever re-read anything you have ever posted?

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:26 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Why cos I choose to back the manager. You want to try it you self entitled @#%&!

Rattled

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:30 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Makes you drink too

Not the same scenario in any way shape or form and untrue to suggest the fans wanted him sacked in 1989. Some did, most didn’t. Forest away (the crunch match for ferie) was greeted with universal support from the masses of reds from start to finish.

Unread 26-10-2021, 11:35 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Makes you drink too

I remember my old man telling his blue mate it didn’t matter because we got the best goal

Dick.

Unread 27-10-2021, 05:37 AM
Medlock

Quote:
Makes you drink too

Was quite similar. Was at that game and the aftermath was similar to this week. It felt impossible to see that team coming good at that point.

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:29 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I remember my old man telling his blue mate it didn’t matter because we got the best goal

Dick.
Your dad sounds class

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Drexl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Your dad sounds class
top wumming tbf

Unread 27-10-2021, 08:05 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Not the same scenario in any way shape or form and untrue to suggest the fans wanted him sacked in 1989. Some did, most didn’t. Forest away (the crunch match for ferie) was greeted with universal support from the masses of reds from start to finish.
That’s some revisionism, undermined by the fact Fergie wasn’t a ‘club legend’ and yet Ole is getting his P45. Pallister was like a confused Bambi that game and we’d not long paid top dollar for him. That Forest game was built up by the press as his sacking match and the universal support was us telling the media to £#%&! off, we would sack him when we were ready.

Like I said I’m not saying this is the same - I don’t think Ole has the gonads Frogson had.
(that we were yet to find out at the time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
Was quite similar. Was at that game and the aftermath was similar to this week. It felt impossible to see that team coming good at that point.
Seen it all before reds.

There’s a team here somewhere- something will turn, leaving Fred on a 2nd half yellow won’t turn any keys though

Squeaky bum time for Ole this team and the role the support plays

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:14 PM
red in cumbria

Yes, I would say the fans were at best split 50/50 over Ferg before *that* cup tie. The famous "THREE YEARS AND WE'VE BEEN CRAP" banner wasn't a fiction was it?

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Sparky***

Can we please for the love of £#%&!ing christ stop comparing this to 1990.

Those days are long £#%&!ing gone.

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:21 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Yes, I would say the fans were at best split 50/50 over Ferg before *that* cup tie. The famous "THREE YEARS AND WE'VE BEEN CRAP" banner wasn't a fiction was it?
Well, I went to practically every match that season home and away including the 5-1 and forest cup match and I say that’s bullshit. There were loud grumbles and a shitty bedsheet saying ta ra but the ground weren’t chanting for his sacking. Try Atkinson in 86 to hear a ground chant for a sacking.

It makes for a more romantic story though.

I do think that villareal could have been ole’s version of our 1990 cup win. To miss out on that will be looked at as a turning point - as I and many others pointed out on the night.

Would have been better if he hadn’t directly contributed to our £#%&! up that night. But that loss is on him.

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:31 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

“He might be Fergie”

He isn’t. He clearly isn’t. Fergie had done stuff to get the United job.

“His first few years mirror Klopp”

They don’t. Klopp always had a style and was one of the most sought after managers in Europe.

He’s not a top coach and never will be, that’s fine. But using Ferguson as the constant ‘give him time’ template is just lazy. Most managers don’t get better with time in a job if they nosedive after 3 years. Fergie is the exception, not the rule.

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:38 PM
avocado

Quote:
That’s some revisionism, undermined by the fact Fergie wasn’t a ‘club legend’ and yet Ole is getting his P45. Pallister was like a confused Bambi that game and we’d not long paid top dollar for him. That Forest game was built up by the press as his sacking match and the universal support was us telling the media to £#%&! off, we would sack him when we were ready.

Like I said I’m not saying this is the same - I don’t think Ole has the gonads Frogson had.
(that we were yet to find out at the time)

Seen it all before reds.

There’s a team here somewhere- something will turn, leaving Fred on a 2nd half yellow won’t turn any keys though

Squeaky bum time for Ole this team and the role the support plays
This post has the merit of factual accuracy.

Unread 27-10-2021, 07:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I do think that villareal could have been ole’s version of our 1990 cup win. To miss out on that will be looked at as a turning point - as I and many others pointed out on the night.

Would have been better if he hadn’t directly contributed to our £#%&! up that night. But that loss is on him.
I agree on that anyway. One reason it hurt so much is you instinctively realised just how significant it was.

Unread 27-10-2021, 09:24 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

This.

People are stuck in this Fergie vortex aren’t they. Anything happens at United - quick, consult the 1989 Ferguson Almanac. Ah yes, page 32 - this is what happens next.

Everyone and everything has moved on, except United.

Unread 27-10-2021, 09:27 PM
Hyman_Roth

Agreed, it’s a pointless, inaccurate and 100% unhelpful analogy.

Unread 27-10-2021, 09:28 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This.

People are stuck in this Fergie vortex
aren’t they. Anything happens at United - quick, consult the 1989 Ferguson Almanac. Ah yes, page 32 - this is what happens next.

Everyone and everything has moved on, except United.
That's why I am pushing Stephen Glass - ok his win stats at Aberdeen are only 30% but he's made of granite.

currently holding Rangers 2-2 away...
Closed Thread