United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-07-2021, 04:52 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
They beat teams convincingly this season. In 2012 it was riddled with luck from start to finish. So not very similar.

They lost an fa cup final unluckily to Leicester due to VAR. Even in that loss you saw what kind of a team Tuchel is progressing Chelsea towards. This was proven further in the CL final against even better opposition where they did get the win.

If you look back on our final loss to Villarreal it wasnt even the loss that was the issue. It was everything else going on in the match. Those problems aren't going away.

But I understand why we had to be quick to hand him a 3 year deal instead of letting him prove himself next season after spending another fat wedge. There is after all many big clubs ready to snap up Ole if we dont give him a new deal. Very sought after manager!
So being offside is unlucky ? Ok.

Unread 24-07-2021, 05:18 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Are we not arsed about winning trophies anymore lads? Fair enough.
yeah apparently we stopped being arsed about them right around the time we stopped winning them. Funny that.

Unread 24-07-2021, 05:52 PM
Hyman_Roth

Big season for ole. Needs to deliver something decent albeit the definition of what’s decent might change through the season.

Was a huge advocate initially but struggled as last season went on with what I saw as some tactical calamities.

Would love him to succeed more than any other manager I can think of but am less confident he will.

Unread 24-07-2021, 06:12 PM
jem

if city get kane and chelsea get haaland, it wouldn't be fair to expect ole to do better than third. it would be nice if we looked like a team that was coached, though, with a balanced midfield and changes made in reaction to what is happening on the pitch. is that too much to ask?

Unread 24-07-2021, 06:17 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if city get kane and chelsea get haaland, it wouldn't be fair to expect ole to do better than third. it would be nice if we looked like a team that was coached, though, with a balanced midfield and changes made in reaction to what is happening on the pitch. is that too much to ask?
Ultimately, you can’t control other teams. Look at last season: nobody expected Chelsea or Liverpool to be that poor. we can only improve. We have been doing that under Ole and need to keep doing it:

Game management.
Conceding from set pieces.
Slow tempo and predictable when teams sit back.
Playing well only in patches.
Conceding possession in our half when pressed.

There are the big, consistent issues in our game that stopped us going to that extra level of serous title challenge, getting out the CL groups and winning the Europa.

Improve those and we’ll have a much better chance at all three.

Unread 24-07-2021, 07:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Oh yes it’s going to be a tremendous season.
I would settle for "reasonably good with a trophy" tbh.

Unread 25-07-2021, 02:21 AM
Stickman

Saffers does make some good points but obviously leans too far towards sack the manager.

Many of the Ole backers do the same, he is just in the minority on here. It doesn’t have to be so polarised.

I do get the sense there’s some that would rather be unsuccessful with Ole than successful with someone else though. Could be wrong but it’s an underlying feeling I take from some of the threads.

Unread 25-07-2021, 02:30 AM
Neo

Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Saffers does make some good points but obviously leans too far towards sack the manager.

Many of the Ole backers do the same, he is just in the minority on here. It doesn’t have to be so polarised.

I do get the sense there’s some that would rather be unsuccessful with Ole than successful with someone else though. Could be wrong but it’s an underlying feeling I take from some of the threads.
I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's more that some (including me) would value success under Ole more than we'd value that same success under another manager.

If our first title after Fergie is won by an ex-player and club legend, it would be one of the greatest moments in United history, and far more satisfying than the same title being won by a fly-by-night 'Project' Manager like those hired by the oil clubs.

The argument should simply be whether Solskjaer is more likely to win us a title than anyone else, and I personally feel that the evidence leans in his favour, given the work he's done in improving the squad, and the improvements in league position since he joined. Based on these continuous improvements, I'm confident we'll challenge for the title in 2021/22.

Unread 25-07-2021, 03:01 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's more that some (including me) would value success under Ole more than we'd value that same success under another manager.

If our first title after Fergie is won by an ex-player and club legend, it would be one of the greatest moments in United history, and far more satisfying than the same title being won by a fly-by-night 'Project' Manager like those hired by the oil clubs.

The argument should simply be whether Solskjaer is more likely to win us a title than anyone else, and I personally feel that the evidence leans in his favour, given the work he's done in improving the squad, and the improvements in league position since he joined. Based on these continuous improvements, I'm confident we'll challenge for the title in 2021/22.
Good post.

I think he’s done a very good job and got the squad in the best shape it’s been in in years, he deserves huge credit for that. My personal doubt is that he can take us to the next level and get us competing for the big two prizes. I would love to see it but I’m innerly pessimistic at the prospect of him managing that. Not of course ignoring the obvious ownership issues he faces which is going to be a hindrance for whoever is in charge.

Unread 25-07-2021, 12:38 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Martyrs and cultists.

Transformation into rawk liverpool fans complete for some of these.

Man said WORKED MIRACLES.

BTW, behind the scenes there are many fed up with the cultists hounding anyone who doesnt tow the party line. Received this good rep message from a prominent fredster:

"Don't waste your time posting anything objective on here. It's like RAWK on here now, the bar here is now so low it's pitiful."

It is said that many others share these views. Something to consider for the cultists.

Unread 25-07-2021, 12:49 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Martyrs and cultists.

BTW, behind the scenes there are many fed up with the cultists hounding anyone who doesnt tow the party line. Received this good rep message from a prominent fredster:

"Don't waste your time posting anything objective on here. It's like RAWK on here now, the bar here is now so low it's pitiful."

It is said that many others share these views. Something to consider for the cultists.
Sounds like it’s all getting to you a bit mate. Hope you’re ok.

Unread 25-07-2021, 12:51 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Martyrs and cultists.

Objective

Unread 25-07-2021, 01:26 PM
jem

ole is adequate. I don't want him jomoing the likes of shaw... his approach clearly works for some. but I also don't want him saying wan b will learn every time he comes to the middle and the balls sails over his head to a free winger, unless we can see that he is being coached not to do it. also don't want to see a 2-man midfield or pogba in our half or wingers who can't wing, etc. we definitely need better players in midfield, though.

Unread 25-07-2021, 08:44 PM
Patty_b

Just finished binge-watching Chernobyl, fantastic series, one of the best I've seen, and I really wish it was longer than 5 episodes. But it's still only the second best meltdown I've seen unfold over the weekend.

Delighted for Ole, done a great job so far sorting this team out. Compare what it was when he came in with what it is now, it's night and day. Team scoring more goals than they have in years. Signings look like they have at least some thought put into them, even if though the odd one may not look convincing as we'd have hoped. Players look happy, and there's little absolute bullshit leaking out in the press from the dressing room anymore.

Some silverware now will be massive for the players and staff now, and I trust him to bring it home

Unread 25-07-2021, 11:51 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Just finished binge-watching Chernobyl, fantastic series, one of the best I've seen, and I really wish it was longer than 5 episodes. But it's still only the second best meltdown I've seen unfold over the weekend.

Delighted for Ole, done a great job so far sorting this team out. Compare what it was when he came in with what it is now, it's night and day. Team scoring more goals than they have in years. Signings look like they have at least some thought put into them, even if though the odd one may not look convincing as we'd have hoped. Players look happy, and there's little absolute bullshit leaking out in the press from the dressing room anymore.

Some silverware now will be massive for the players and staff now, and I trust him to bring it home
You trusted him before Villarreal and what did he do? He threw it all back in your face.

Think Stickers post is the one for this thread. He's hit on something that exposes the likes of you. Look at his post chief.....

Unread 26-07-2021, 12:05 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
You trusted him before Villarreal and what did he do? He threw it all back in your face.

Think Stickers post is the one for this thread. He's hit on something that exposes the likes of you. Look at his post chief.....

Unread 26-07-2021, 12:06 AM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly

Unread 26-07-2021, 12:23 AM
red in cumbria

As people may recall, I was angry after Villarreal.

My posts then are on the record and I have no interest in rewriting them.

But seeing something similar happen earlier this month - when I was just a *bit* less emotionally invested - has helped put things into some perspective.

People who wanted Southgate sacked after the final were idiots, simple as. So it is, too, with Ole

Unread 26-07-2021, 12:29 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
People who wanted Southgate sacked after the final were idiots, simple as. So it is, too, with Ole
southgate's caution, favouritism, failure to use the squad and poor subs cost england the euros. it's a no from me. not just after the final, but after every game.

Unread 26-07-2021, 12:32 AM
red in cumbria

Smile

As ever, you are entitled to your opinion.
Closed Thread