United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:03 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Haven't seen enough of Dalot in that position to make a judgment, because we flogged Ashley Young to death

Be great to have a couple of 21 years olds battling it out for RB

As well they should. 3 years left on his contract. They don't need to sell. Young, English talent, 10-15 years ahead of him. It's a sellers market.

If you're a Palace fan, you're saying 'you want him? Pay it or £#%&! off'
Wonder if we’d have the sense to use the sell on fee we have for Zaha to negotiate a lower fee for this kid?

Tell them we’ll cancel the clause if they knock 10-20m off the fee meaning they get to keep all of the cash they make on Zaha.

I get we need competition for places but just seems a bit lazy going for this kid for so much money when you’d hope our scouts could find someone just as good/better for less?

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:04 PM
Ethers

Dalot is decent but too tall to be a modern attacking full-back, not surprised we’re looking at other options.

How tall is this Obi Wan Bissaka lad?

If he’s over 5ft 10 looks like we’re about to drop another %@#$&!. Shambles.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Dalot is decent but too tall to be a modern attacking full-back, not surprised we’re looking at other options.

How tall is this Obi Wan Bissaka lad?

If he’s over 5ft 10 looks like we’re about to drop another %@#$&!. Shambles.
5 9 i think so he just makes it...

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AK14

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
6ft..

£#%&! him off.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Great signing then if true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
6ft..

£#%&! him off.
Ffs. Knew I shouldn’t have trusted Sparky when it came to anything height related.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Wonder if we’d have the sense to use the sell on fee we have for Zaha to negotiate a lower fee for this kid?

Tell them we’ll cancel the clause if they knock 10-20m off the fee meaning they get to keep all of the cash they make on Zaha.

I get we need competition for places but just seems a bit lazy going for this kid for so much money when you’d hope our scouts could find someone just as good/better for less?
It doesn't seem to be a scouting issue.

The signing of James, the interest here and the likes of Madison seem to suggest a desire to get younger, English players on the rise.

That automatically comes at a premium.

The wages won't be as astronomical as the likes of Sanchez or a potential Bale. I think higher fees would be a fair trade off to get that wage bill back in to order and get some players in who are actually eager to restore United to something resembling a big club.

The question mark when you aren't going for names is whether or not they're worth it (I'm far from convinced by madison, for example), but I prefer these types of signings And this approach to what we've been doing.

I think we should be all over Zaha too tbh

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be a scouting issue.

The signing of James, the interest here and the likes of Madison seem to suggest a desire to get younger, English players on the rise.

That automatically comes at a premium.

The wages won't be as astronomical as the likes of Sanchez or a potential Bale. I think higher fees would be a fair trade off to get that wage bill back in to order and get some players in who are actually eager to restore United to something resembling a big club.
Didn’t Giggs recommend James?

Also Maddison went for 15-20m last summer yet here we are a year later looking to buy him for 60-70m.

I’ve not got a problem with the type of player we’re being linked to now and would much prefer this type of strategy than the galactico strategy we’ve had in the recent past.

The problem I have is we’re obviously working on a budget and spending 70m on a right back with one season under his belt or 70m on a player that went for 20m a year ago points to poor scouting and blowing our budget means certain positions won’t get sorted

Same when we were linked with Harry Maguire for 70m a year after he was sold for 20m last season. Good player and would improve us, but again just shows how poor our scouting is at the moment.

The days of being able to bully the smaller clubs into selling their best players for relatively cheap fees has gone so our scouting has to be on point.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:26 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Didn’t Giggs recommend James?

Also Maddison went for 15-20m last summer yet here we are a year later looking to buy him for 60-70m.

I’ve not got a problem with the type of player we’re being linked to now and would much prefer this type of strategy than the galactico strategy we’ve had in the recent past.

The problem I have is we’re obviously working on a budget and spending 70m on a right back with one season under his belt or 70m on a player that went for 20m a year ago points to poor scouting and blowing our budget means certain positions won’t get sorted

Same when we were linked with Harry Maguire for 70m a year after he was sold for 20m last season. Good player and would improve us, but again just shows how poor our scouting is at the moment.

The days of being able to bully the smaller clubs into selling their best players for relatively cheap fees has gone so our scouting has to be on point.
At the risk of repeating myself, I don't think it's a scouting issue. Part of the appeal is that they're English. They know the league, They know United more than Younger foreign players would. The price of that is a higher fee.

Madison went from the championship for 20m. He's had a good season, his stock has risen, his fee reflects that. And that's an asking price. It doesn't mean we'll pay it or they'll get it.

Palace and Leicester had good seasons and don't need to sell. They're well within their rights to ask for £50-£70m for their best players at good ages.

We're on no more of a budget than anyone outside of City . I expect us to be amongst the biggest spenders as usual.

Regardless of what we spend, we will be left short in some areas because we need about 8 new players. We all know this won't be sorted in one window.

The alternative is spending the same or more on 'established' players who don't fit any kind of plan. On huge wages that ensure they have to start every week and we can't shift them when it goes wrong.

Which is what we've done.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:54 PM
AK14

Quote:
At the risk of repeating myself, I don't think it's a scouting issue. Part of the appeal is that they're English. They know the league, They know United more than Younger foreign players would. The price of that is a higher fee.

Madison went from the championship for 20m. He's had a good season, his stock has risen, his fee reflects that. And that's an asking price. It doesn't mean we'll pay it or they'll get it.

Palace and Leicester had good seasons and don't need to sell. They're well within their rights to ask for £50-£70m for their best players at good ages.

We're on no more of a budget than anyone outside of City . I expect us to be amongst the biggest spenders as usual.

Regardless of what we spend, we will be left short in some areas because we need about 8 new players. We all know this won't be sorted in one window.

The alternative is spending the same or more on 'established' players who don't fit any kind of plan. On huge wages that ensure they have to start every week and we can't shift them when it goes wrong.

Which is what we've done.
Trying to sign a player for 70m a year after he moved clubs for 20m does point to poor scouting tbf. Where were we when Leicester bought Maddison and Maguire?

Is it only now our scouts have seen how good they are? Do we have to wait until these players sign for the likes of Leicester before we realise they’re good players?

Of course Palace and Leicester can demand what they want and that’s the reason our scouting needs to be better, because gone are the days when top clubs can cherry pick the best young talents from smaller clubs for peanuts.

There is another alternative and that’s to scout better and get these players before they make it big in the top league. Like we did with Daniel James and
hopefully he reaches his potential here.

Arrons and Godfrey at Norwich are two very exciting young players, we'll probably wait for Leicester or Watford to sign them before we realise they’re good players and then try to sign them for 70m each.

Unread 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM
sa7

Quote:
Haven't seen enough of Dalot in that position to make a judgment, because we flogged Ashley Young to death
If only

Unread 09-06-2019, 02:57 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:

Then it’s not really a lower fee.

Unread 09-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Trying to sign a player for 70m a year after he moved clubs for 20m does point to poor scouting tbf. Where were we when Leicester bought Maddison and Maguire?

Is it only now our scouts have seen how good they are? Do we have to wait until these players sign for the likes of Leicester before we realise they’re good players?

Of course Palace and Leicester can demand what they want and that’s the reason our scouting needs to be better, because gone are the days when top clubs can cherry pick the best young talents from smaller clubs for peanuts.

There is another alternative and that’s to scout better and get these players before they make it big in the top league. Like we did with Daniel James and
hopefully he reaches his potential here.

Arrons and Godfrey at Norwich are two very exciting young players, we'll probably wait for Leicester or Watford to sign them before we realise they’re good players and then try to sign them for 70m each.
I think that's a reflection of a lack of a plan rather than bad scouting (I'm not defending our scouting either btw).

Even I knew who James Madison was when he signed. He was one of the Championship's best players. At the time, our manager was Jose Mourinho and Madison is the antithesis of a Jose signing.

This apparent change in approach has come since Ole came in.

We're not slow off the mark to spot the likes of these players, we just have no consistent plan.

As you say, James is the kind of thing we should be doing. That is an Ole signing.

Unread 09-06-2019, 03:12 PM
dunk

Quote:

is that not true of absolutely every player?

Unread 09-06-2019, 04:18 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Dalot is better.....
is he £#%&!. Dalot can’t defend unfortunately which is a key requisite of a defender

Unread 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Vedder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
is he £#%&!. Dalot can’t defend unfortunately which is a key requisite of a defender
Dalot ffs let’s be honest he’s £#%&!ing bang average. Bissaka is miles better

Unread 09-06-2019, 07:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
50 million on walker
50 million on mendy
60 million on laporte
50 million on stones
32 million on Otamendi

240 million quid on just defenders.
And a load on the goalkeeper.

Helped that they had Fernandinho, KdB, Silva, Sterling and Aguero up the field.

We’d have seen spending most of our money on defenders too unglamorous I’d expect.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:01 AM
redhegemony

Should stick in a lowish bid for Stones - still think he's a decent player but doesn't get much game time.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:05 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Should stick in a lowish bid for Stones - still think he's a decent player but doesn't get much game time.
if you watched the England game the other night you'll probably know why that is.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:06 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
if you watched the England game the other night you'll probably know why that is.
No confidence and not playing and clearly not rated by his manager.

Unread 10-06-2019, 09:11 AM
puressence

Quote:
50 million on walker
50 million on mendy
60 million on laporte
50 million on stones
32 million on Otamendi

240 million quid on just defenders.
you missed mangala 42 million has played 4 games under pep i think
Closed Thread