United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2008, 01:53 PM
thatsfuctit

Default GB Football for London 2012

keeps still being mentioned

Bit of a hot potato, which of the Scots, Norn Irish, Welsh would get a game, really?

Scottish goalie fella has to have a chance (things you don't say very often)

if it was now - what would your Team GB FC be mofos?

Unread 25-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Probably Gordon, Hutton and the England team.

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:01 PM
denis lawless

id choose the team entirely from the 2nd, 3rd n 4th division (in old money)

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:02 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
id choose the team entirely from the 2nd, 3rd n 4th division (in old money)
go on then.

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Elsey

I'd love to see it, love to!

But all the FA's except the English FA are kicking off because it means (in their eyes) they'll lose their independance) so as a result are not looking likely to co-operate.

I say £#%&! em!

The non english players should be picked from the players registered with the English league. Not much the other fa's can do about that. Then it leaves them in a sticky situation having to explain and justify why they have denied their members an amazing opportunity.

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:05 PM
wee man

this is just daft - the games start in mid-July. Euro 2012 will just be over and those players will be resting for the new season.

People aren't doing their homework.

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Elsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
this is just daft - the games start in mid-July. Euro 2012 will just be over and those players will be resting for the new season.

Is the entire squad under 23?

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:08 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
go on then.
i will when they give me the job of coach.....would be daft to announce it now and give my rivals a head start

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:47 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:

it'll be kids who weren't involved at the euros plus beckham.

Unread 25-08-2008, 02:51 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsey
Is the entire squad under 23?
I know that - you know that. But the media are running all sorts of things picking a UK Team (2008 version) regardless of age or whether they would be playing for a full national team. Even on this thread we've had calls for 2 Scottish lads who as far as I know are over that age NOW.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Barney77

Why don't they just have a quota system...

7 from England
6 from Scotland
5 from N.I
5 from Wales

Get a non English coach in, O'Neil, Ferguson, Hughes for example with an English assistant, Pearce, Pat Rice, whatever and then it's a truly UK wide team with no one dominating representative.

I'm aware that the English have the highest number of players in my idea but it's only by one and when you consider the population split of the UK, I think this is a pretty minor issue.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:12 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney77
Why don't they just have a quota system...

7 from England
6 from Scotland
5 from N.I
5 from Wales

Get a non English coach in, O'Neil, Ferguson, Hughes for example with an English assistant, Pearce, Pat Rice, whatever and then it's a truly UK wide team with no one dominating representative.

I'm aware that the English have the highest number of players in my idea but it's only by one and when you consider the population split of the UK, I think this is a pretty minor issue.
don't do that in the other team sports - hockey, cycling, rowing etc. Why football ? And no manager would accept restrictions like that. Want to pick his own squad/team etc. I don't care whether the whole squad would be English. But as I said it's a waste of time. I loved the Olympics - but football, tennis and sports for which the Olympics ISN'T the pinnacle should not be there.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Barney77

Quote:
don't do that in the other team sports - hockey, cycling, rowing etc. Why football ? And no manager would accept restrictions like that. Want to pick his own squad/team etc. I don't care whether the whole squad would be English. But as I said it's a waste of time. I loved the Olympics - but football, tennis and sports for which the Olympics ISN'T the pinnacle should not be there.
I know they don't do it for other sports but it might work. You explain the restrictions before appointing the coach. He knows what he's working with then.

Seems straight forward enough to me though I agree that Tennis, Football etc, etc is misplaced at the Olympics for the reason you gave.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Northern Ireland wouldn't be part of the GB team. There's talk already of combining the NI team into an All Ireland type squad like the rugby and cricket.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:26 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
keeps still being mentioned

Bit of a hot potato, which of the Scots, Norn Irish, Welsh would get a game, really?

Scottish goalie fella has to have a chance (things you don't say very often)

if it was now - what would your Team GB FC be mofos?
The football is an U23 tournament with a couple of over age players allowed so trying to pick a team for 4 years time is futile.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:29 PM
wee man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Northern Ireland wouldn't be part of the GB team. There's talk already of combining the NI team into an All Ireland type squad like the rugby and cricket.
Don't be silly 1/10

And wouldn't want to be associated with a country that excuses blatant racism like Team Republic of Ireland. If that had been one of the more high profile countries like the UK there would have been an international incident. As it was the international scousers it's swept under the carpet as usual.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Don't be silly 1/10

And wouldn't want to be associated with a country that excuses blatant racism like Team Republic of Ireland. If that had been one of the more high profile countries like the UK there would have been an international incident. As it was the international scousers it's swept under the carpet as usual.
It wasn't a wum, was on the back of a few papers yesterday. Didn't read into it though as I had better things to be doing.

It's a real possibility though. And I can't see your problem reallly. We are both Irelands after all.

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:37 PM
wee man

Quote:
It wasn't a wum, was on the back of a few papers yesterday. Didn't read into it though as I had better things to be doing.

It's a real possibility though. And I can't see your problem reallly. We are both Irelands after all.
must try harder

btw forgot the actual racist quote in my earlier post

"But we're in China so what do you expect." Paddy Barnes, Republic of Ireland

racism at it's worst - a dark shadow over a great fortnights sport

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
must try harder

btw forgot the actual racist quote in my earlier post

"But we're in China so what do you expect." Paddy Barnes, Republic of Ireland

racism at it's worst - a dark shadow over a great fortnights sport
This coming from someone from Europe's equivelant of 1950s alabama. Great.

If you don't believe me and I find this article, will you apologise and admit your state is a parasite with no identity?

Unread 25-08-2008, 03:45 PM
wee man

Quote:
This coming from someone from Europe's equivelant of 1950s alabama. Great.

If you don't believe me and I find this article, will you apologise and admit your state is a parasite with no identity?
being silly now. Calm down. A thread about a 2012 football team and you are trying to turn it into the usual ould shite. Perhaps it would be better if we had a British Isles Team in the 2012 Olympics - in all sports - and youse could share in our glory. Apart from the drug cheat Michelle Smith I can't remember youse ever being on a podium.
Closed Thread