Unread 04-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Patty_b

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Don't know enough about him to comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ni-lippi-conte

I'm not loving that.

I think the fact we've shipped out the likes of Lukaku, Smalling and Sanchez, while relegating the likes of Matic to emergency cover, is a pretty radical sign of intent.

It's a big change though. New players and youth promotions need time to bed in. We won't see real improvement until we've had at least another summer transfer window.

Regarding coaching:
Sometimes it just needs someone capable of making the big picture decisions. He's there to manage at the end of the day, and earning the respect of the players makes a huge difference.

He might even surprise us all and shake up the coaching staff.

Obviously a lot rides on the owners, and whether Ed can convince them to loosen the purse strings. As for his ability to actually sign players.... we're at his mercy no matter who is in charge.
FOTY for a reason.

On the last paragraph, I reckon we (and especially Ole) are screwed for this window. I half understand why, because it's January and there's no value to be had. But not bringing anyone in is going to ruin us for the rest of this season, and it's going to be a lot of pressure on Ole because of it. I hope he hangs tough and sees it through til next summer and we can actually sign some new players. Hope

And £#%&! all this Glazer stooge and Glazer puppet bullshit. It would be great for a manager to come in and say "screw the owners and the chief exec!", but it's never going to happen for the most obvious of frigging reasons, so I think people need to let that go.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
No, because you’re not discussing anything; you’re taking my honesty and scoring cheap points off it. £#%&! off.
No i asked you elaborate on something and all you gave me was vague ideological stuff about not sacking managers.

Now you're angry. Not my fault.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:13 PM
dunk

He's clearly identified the strengths in the squad and can get them to play to those strengths when possible; pacey counter attacking football.

Problem is, there's nothing beyond that due to the dearth of quality and bloated nature of the squad. No variety, no plan B. Can't play possession football as there is no quality on the ball in the middle of the park. Can't play defensively as the midfield is naive and the defence can be reduced to a shambles from a confidence POV. Can't go direct as there is no presence up top. Can't pin teams back and put them under consistent pressure as there is nobody with the quality to breakdown the oppositions low block. Can't cope with a muscular, fast press from the opposition because the squad is filled with slugs, midgets and shithouses who lack the requisite quality. We've seen the evidence of all of the above over the last 6 years.

He clearly has other ideas; messing with 3-5-2 etc. but as soon as anything changes the team goes to pieces because they lack the ability and confidence.

Must be a £#%&!ing nightmare trying to get anything out of this lot tbh.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:14 PM
Dr Stranger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
No i asked you elaborate on something and all you gave me was vague ideological stuff about not sacking managers.

Now you're angry. Not my fault.
Personally, I think he's changed things more in terms of the squad and the type of player we want/should be after, more than he has on the pitch.

I think itll end for him this season, but he'll leave the club more stable than when he found it.

Ridding the squad of dinosaurs and bringing some sanity back to the wage bill is much needed.

The lack of apparent Coaching is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He's clearly identified the strengths in the squad and can get them to play to those strengths when possible; pacey counter attacking football.

Problem is, there's nothing beyond that due to the dearth of quality and bloated nature of the squad. No variety, no plan B. Can't play possession football as there is no quality on the ball in the middle of the park. Can't play defensively as the midfield is naive and the defence can be reduced to a shambles from a confidence POV. Can't go direct as there is no presence up top. Can't pin teams back and put them under consistent pressure as there is nobody with the quality to breakdown the oppositions low block. Can't cope with a muscular, fast press from the opposition because the squad is filled with slugs, midgets and shithouses who lack the requisite quality. We've seen the evidence of all of the above over the last 6 years.

He clearly has other ideas; messing with 3-5-2 etc. but as soon as anything changes the team goes to pieces because they lack the ability and confidence.

Must be a f***ing nightmare trying to get anything out of this lot tbh.
Can't argue with much of that.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:23 PM
silv

Quote:
Don't know enough about him to comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ni-lippi-conte

I'm not loving that.

I think the fact we've shipped out the likes of Lukaku, Smalling and Sanchez, while relegating the likes of Matic to emergency cover, is a pretty radical sign of intent.

It's a big change though. New players and youth promotions need time to bed in. We won't see real improvement until we've had at least another summer transfer window.

Regarding coaching:
Sometimes it just needs someone capable of making the big picture decisions. He's there to manage at the end of the day, and earning the respect of the players makes a huge difference.

He might even surprise us all and shake up the coaching staff.

Obviously a lot rides on the owners, and whether Ed can convince them to loosen the purse strings. As for his ability to actually sign players.... we're at his mercy no matter who is in charge.
That’s the easy bit. It’s not hard to ship out players.

It’s whether you think he can coach the youngsters we have into world beaters and also manage the best players from around the world we should be signing.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:25 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger

The lack of apparent Coaching is an issue.
it’s at least possible that, with these players, it would look like this under anyone; we just don’t know until it’s his team. Guardiola has bought 31 players in his time at City. How many do you think Pochettino would assess he needs before we’re competing again?

The problem is not that it’s going to take 2 or 3 years and another possibly 4 windows to be where we want, it’s that people who accept that in theory cannot accept that in practice. The drip feed of shit is too much.

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:29 PM
armchair

the lack of "coaching" people should watch some of fergie's early teams

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:56 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
the lack of "coaching" people should watch some of fergie's early teams
Why?

Unread 04-01-2020, 10:59 PM
armchair

Quote:
Why?
to see what a squad of bad players with a good manager look like

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Why?
You know why. You being dishonest again?

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:03 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
FOTY for a reason.

On the last paragraph, I reckon we (and especially Ole) are screwed for this window. I half understand why, because it's January and there's no value to be had. But not bringing anyone in is going to ruin us for the rest of this season, and it's going to be a lot of pressure on Ole because of it. I hope he hangs tough and sees it through til next summer and we can actually sign some new players. Hope

And £#%&! all this Glazer stooge and Glazer puppet bullshit. It would be great for a manager to come in and say "screw the owners and the chief exec!", but it's never going to happen for the most obvious of frigging reasons, so I think people need to let that go.
Reprehensible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Must be a £#%&!ing nightmare trying to get anything out of this lot tbh.
Agreed.

LVG said the same thing about our forwards when questioned on why we couldn't score against teams who sat back, and he was right. The quality wasn't there. Doesn't mean he couldn't coach.

Quote:
Too true.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:07 PM
utd99

Quote:
LVG said the same thing about our forwards when questioned on why we couldn't score against teams who sat back, and he was right. The quality wasn't there. Doesn't mean he couldn't coach.
Right. The obvious difference though in his case, and subsequently Mourinho’s, is that they were also talking about players they bought and spent shitloads on.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Right. The obvious difference though in his case, and subsequently Mourinho’s, is that they were also talking about players they bought and spent shitloads on.
Mourinho exacerbated the issue with each and every signing and decision. Always felt LvG had the right idea with the attack that second season, cleared the decks, signed young (Memphis, Martial) but was clearly hamstrung and not afforded the time to get the best out of or add to what he had.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Right? And?

So we're still on the "give them long enough and history will repeat itself" schtick?

Ok.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:14 PM
utd99

Quote:
Funny isn’t it, how people forget just how bad we’ve been at times under managers who’ve won a combined 30 league titles and 5 european cups, yet Ole gets one window and they want him gone.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:21 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Funny isn’t it, how people forget just how bad we’ve been at times under managers who’ve won a combined 30 league titles and 5 european cups, yet Ole gets one window and they want him gone.
Surely you should just each case on it's merits.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
True, but it also illustrates the issue with signings and rushing to condemn a manager as not being able to identify the right player.

Sometimes it doesn't quite come off. And at United it seems to be really, really hard to find the right players.

All I know is that we desperately need someone capable of feeding the forwards. A Lingard that works, or a committed Pogba.

Imagine if Ole signed Kai Havertz, Bruno Fernandes or some £#%&!er and it actually worked. Throw in a plan B striker with better ball skills than Lukaku.

Upgrade Fred.

What a transformation.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:26 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
He only got the job because of a freaky run of wins in his first games. Its been utter dog shit since he was hired full time. Without that run of games, he'd have been no where near the job.

He's an ex player who stuck his leg out in the 90s and was managing a ski shops 5aside walking football team.

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:30 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
He only got the job because of a freaky run of wins in his first games. Its been utter dog shit since he was hired full time. Without that run of games, he'd have been no where near the job.

He's an ex player who stuck his leg out in the 90s and was managing a ski shops 5aside walking football team.
very interesting. keep the criticism coming. fergie had to weather the storm and he came out stronger. no reason ole should get a pass

Unread 04-01-2020, 11:32 PM
BarryX

Quote:
very interesting. keep the criticism coming. fergie had to weather the storm and he came out stronger. no reason ole should get a pass
Just hope he gets a similar amount of time to prove the naysayers wrong.
Closed Thread