Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:39 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Poch is a better manager than Ole.

That's all that matters imo.
So were LvG and Mourinho, which suggests that its more than just the manager.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
And that’s the only fact that matters. The rest is just opinion.
Definitely.

But I can see why some people’s want us to make a change for someone like Poch.

Not so much Allegri tbh.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:54 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I didn’t say he didn’t buy anyone, I said he improved players which he obviously did.

Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen were already at the club (I think?) and all improved under him. He also bought little known players and helped them become international players (Trippier, Ali, Dier).

He also went a couple of seasons without signing anyone(?) yet still helped spurs to a champions league final.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to all our problems, but he's shown he has the ability to turn a team that’s in transition into a team that can challenge (although ultimately fall short).

Edit- Also looks like he signed 27 players and not 41?

Not the best list of names though tbf
Not denying that he improved all of the other players you mentioned, but Dembele was always a great player and he never found a decent replacement for him.

I think Pochettino is a good manager, but if he was getting annoyed at Levy he’d be tearing his hair out with big Eddie running things.

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
I didn’t say he didn’t buy anyone, I said he improved players which he obviously did.

Rose, Dembele, Kane, Vertonghen were already at the club (I think?) and all improved under him. He also bought little known players and helped them become international players (Trippier, Ali, Dier).

He also went a couple of seasons without signing anyone(?) yet still helped spurs to a champions league final.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to all our problems, but he's shown he has the ability to turn a team that’s in transition into a team that can challenge (although ultimately fall short).

Edit- Also looks like he signed 27 players and not 41?

Not the best list of names though tbf
Fred, McTomminey and Greenwood have all improved under Ole. Williams and James will become full internationals soon (James already I think)...so what's your point ?

Unread 25-01-2020, 07:59 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Not denying that he improved all of the other players you mentioned, but Dembele was always a great player and he never found a decent replacement for him.

I think Pochettino is a good manager, but if he was getting annoyed at Levy he’d be tearing his hair out with big Eddie running things.
I’ll take your word for it regarding Dembele pal

Agree though that he’d struggle with woody and co and that’s why I think he’d ultimately fail in the long term.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:00 PM
Cream

What's all this 'how many has he improved?' malarky?

Since when was that ever a metric for assessing managerial performance at the top level?

It's all about the team and what it can win. Klopp has assembled a great team who are more than the sum of their parts. Was Milner shit at City and Klopp's turned him into Zidane? Does that mean Pep is shit?

Utter %@#$&!s.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:03 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Fred, McTomminey and Greenwood have all improved under Ole. Williams and James will become full internationals soon (James already I think)...so what's your point ?
They were already good players. Fred just needed a run of games.

The other players would play well whoever the manager is.

As for James....he's been shit for months.

Ole's coaching leaves a lot to be desired. That much is obvious from the shit we watch week in week out.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:04 PM
AK14

Quote:
That Poch has proven he can improve multiple players and turn a side from a transition to a team challenging. Obviously Ole could do the same (although to early to judge who he’s improved etc imo) which is why personally I’d stick with him (plus other reasons which I’ve stated), but I can understand why some supporters would want Poch over Ole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
What's all this 'how many has he improved?' malarky?

Since when was that ever a metric for assessing managerial performance at the top level?

It's all about the team and what it can win. Klopp has assembled a great team who are more than the sum of their parts. Was Milner shit at City and Klopp's turned him into Zidane? Does that mean Pep is shit?

Utter balls.
Milner left City before Guardiola joined tbf.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:07 PM
utd99

I want a manager making long term decisions in the best interests of the club, rather than someone making decisions in the best interests of keeping their job short term, and that may require some patience. It’s not easy, because no one likes what’s going on game by game and Ole is making some maddeningly iffy choices, but we have enough experience of these big money, ill-fitting quick fixes by now to know they’re not the way to go.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

The other players would play well whoever the manager is.

As for James....he's been shit for months.

Ole's coaching leaves a lot to be desired. That much is obvious from the shit we watch week in week out.
Using the bullshit concept of improvement, he has improved Fred, Rashford and The Scottish Player. Hasn't really helped much. Because it's bullshit.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:10 PM
AK14

Quote:
I want a manager making long term decisions in the best interests of the club, rather than someone making decisions in the best interests of keeping their job short term, and that may require some patience. It’s not easy, because no one likes what’s going on game by game and Ole is making some maddeningly iffy choices, but we have enough experience of these big money, ill-fitting quick fixes by now to know they’re not the way to go.
Completely agree with that.

BarryX

Quote:
And don't forget a certain Erling Haaland, who Ole signed as a young up-and-comer whilst at Molde, and who he was seemingly very keen on re-signing for United last month (flying over to personally talk to the lad, according to the press) and who then went on to score 5 goals in his first 2 games for Dormund. Whose fault it was that the deal didn't go through, we can only speculate, but it certainly looks like Ole wanted the kid and someone upstairs didn't sign off on the deal...

utd99

Quote:
You may not want Ole as manager but you have to give credit where it’s due; I don’t think anyone thought Fred had it in him. To say he just needed some games, as though that was obvious, is a bit disingenuous.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:14 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Using the bullshit concept of improvement, he has improved Fred, Rashford and The Scottish Player. Hasn't really helped much. Because it's bullshit.
Erm...

Ok.

Quote:
You may not want Ole as manager but you have to give credit where it’s due; I don’t think anyone thought Fred had it in him. To say he just needed some games, as though that was obvious, is a bit disingenuous.
Is it that obvious?

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:17 PM
utd99

Quote:
Is it that obvious?
There are some tells.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:17 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
And don't forget a certain Erling Haaland, who Ole signed as a young up-and-comer whilst at Molde, and who he was seemingly very keen on re-signing for United last month (flying over to personally talk to the lad, according to the press) and who then went on to score 5 goals in his first 2 games for Dormund. Whose fault it was that the deal didn't go through, we can only speculate, but it certainly looks like Ole wanted the kid and someone upstairs didn't sign off on the deal...
Yeah but would he have improved him?

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:18 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Yeah but would he have improved him again?
Corrected for you, champ

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
We couldn’t do that deal mate. I rarely agree with club decisions, but this one was an absolute must. It was a horrendous deal, no matter how good the kid is or can be.

Unread 25-01-2020, 08:22 PM
BarryX

Thumbs up

Quote:
We couldn’t do that deal mate. I rarely agree with club decisions, but this one was an absolute must. It was a horrendous deal, no matter how good the kid is or can be.
Oh aye, I don't disagree with us not giving that fat £#%&! of an agent more power over us than he already has (I just wanted to add Haaland to the name of players/youngsters who Ole's already worked with and clearly had a hand in shaping).

Unread 25-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Pepe le Pew

Quote:
Poch is a proper manager. We would have a better chance of improving under him. He's done it everywhere he has been in a very small amount of time.

Ole basically won the prize in a raffle because we were too tight to stump up the cash. In the summer we wont have to...
Poch has done what exactly? Finished third in a two horse race? Brilliant, get him in.
Closed Thread