Closed Thread

Unread 14-04-2015, 11:02 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
Posession : 38% (atletico) 62% (real)
Shots : 8 to 17 (2 to 8 on target)
Fouls : 19 to 11

And remember most of atletico's shots were from corners.

They are a very dirty cynical negative team. The only way they can win is by continuously fouling teams and try to nick of a corner. A much more organized and well coached 2004 greece team...
That's nonsense. True they love a scrap but they've got more than that in their locker.

Today though they left it too late to really get at Real. If the game had gone on another ten minutes they might have won it...

Unread 14-04-2015, 11:31 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
That's nonsense. True they love a scrap but they've got more than that in their locker.

Today though they left it too late to really get at Real. If the game had gone on another ten minutes they might have won it...
I didn't say they are stoke. They have some very good footballers like greizmann (sp?) and turan. But on the whoel they are an incredibly negative team.

You can admire them but I am not sure how as a neutral you would be willing on them to win a match while watching them kick their way through a match continuously and the whole game plan being based on trying to frustrate the opponent as much as they can and then get a goal from a corner. rinse and repeat.

A side like dortmund would get so much support against real. But not too many were disappointed when atletico didn't win last year CL finals.

Unread 15-04-2015, 03:06 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
But not too many were disappointed when atletico didn't win last year CL finals.
A lot of people hate Real Madrid, and a lot of people root for the underdog. I understand you're making a football-purist point, but I don't think most people fall into that category.

Unread 15-04-2015, 04:34 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
A lot of people hate Real Madrid, and a lot of people root for the underdog. I understand you're making a football-purist point, but I don't think most people fall into that category.
I understand that. But it seemed from media reports (and I watched it in a pub in europe) most of the neutrals weren't disappointed by real winning. Most in fact rejoiced it. Maybe simeone's antics at the end added on to the negative feelings...

Unread 17-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
serious question/point: the whole thing with barcelona's style and with their youth set-up is that they play the same way from a young age and the process brought a stream of players through to the 1st team. the development began well before pep was boss and these players were mixed with famous and very rich signings.

so even though pep was obviously excellent and was able to oversee that process' ultimate destiny as it were, surely he cannot and should not take or be given full credit for it? yes a famous and no doubt excellent manager. but legendary? it's an oft used word in football parlance, but he wasn't fully responsible for developing that system or those players, failed to defend the CL even though they were supposedly the best club side of all time, walked out and quit the game for a year, and then went back to the German champions and treble winners, a club who had paid off all competition in their own league btw, and failed to defend the CL there as well... and I'm a fan btw!
There have been a handful of teams which have dominated European football in their respective eras, but only a very few that achieved that success playing collectively at the level of Barcelona under Guardiola: a whole team moving as if it was one unit, manipulating space on the pitch; 11 players active at all times, both with and without the ball; every player, no matter how talented or renowned, willing to play with generosity and to sacrifice himself for his team-mates; each player willing to assume the risk of playing on the edge, because he understands the capabilities of his team-mates and knows that each of them will do the same; automatisms so well honed, so thoroughly drilled, that they could be performed blindfolded. The capacity, in short, for 11 players to impose their will on every opponent through the way they play together, as a team. Over the past five decades, I believe that Ajax in the early 1970s and Milan in the late 1980s are the only others to reach those same heights.

Bayern, for instance, had great players in the 1970s, the likes of Maier, Beckenbauer, Breitner, Muller. A phenomenal group. They won three European Cups in succession and their players formed the basis of the West Germany side that won the World Cup in 1974. But they didn't win because because their tactical structure created a multiplier effect on their individual abilities, as Sacchi talks about; rather, they won because they had outstanding players, good team organisation, and a fantastic mentality. There's a big difference, I think.

Barcelona themselves didn't manage it before Guardiola, even with the all the great players they've had, even with their youth system oriented from top to bottom around dominating the ball, even with coaches of the calibre of Cruyff and Van Gaal. (Cruyff is clearly the figure who played the biggest role in bringing this style to Barcelona, and he built a wonderful team, but they always left the door open for the opponent. Guardiola's Barca, at their peak, didn't.) And they haven't done it since, either. This season, for example, I'd say that the only time they've dominated in the way that they did under Guardiola, against a good side, was on the weekend against Sevilla. For the opening 30 minutes of the match. They played that level consistently, in a high percentage of matches, for most of Guardiola's tenure.

Guardiola clearly doesn't have the status of Michels or Sacchi, men who not only built teams that astonished the world, but also imposed new visions of how to play the game, visions that still shape football through to this very day; but he did manage to build a team that touched perfection, as those two did before him. This will - without question, in my view - mark him out as a special figure in football history; someone whose name will still be mentioned decades hence. And he has had an influence on the way the game is played, one as big, I think, as anyone since the turn of the millennium, and not just on football in Europe, but also on a lot of the new generation of coaches in South America.

I would also ask those who say that what he achieved at Barca was only to be expected, given the players he had and what not, what opinion they had about this beforehand. How many expected them to become one of the all time great sides when Guardiola took charge? I know I didn't. And I know for a fact that most of the people on here didn't. I remember Ginners starting a thread towards the end of 2008 stating that Barcelona were the best team in the world. Most people said that we or Chelsea were better. Again, this was not before the fact, but months into his tenure. And even before we played them in the final, a lot people still thought we were the better side. You certainly could've seen them becoming one of the top teams in Europe again, capable of winning the domestic league and challenging the likes of United and Chelsea in European competition, but that's a long way from what they actually went on to achieve.

(I've just had a look at my reply to Ginners's thread, by the way. I wrote, in November of that year, that they were: "[A]bsolutely £#%&!ing awesome right now. Unquestionably the best team in the world so far this season. A supremely talented group of individuals playing at the top of their respective games as individuals, but also with dedication, sacrifice and generosity on a collective basis." Think it's fair to say that Ginners and I saged the shit out of that )

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Venceremos

Hardly a sage call to say Barcelona were the best team in the first half of 08/09. United didn't get going until the second half of the season (not that we ever got back to 07/08 level) and Chelsea were nowhere either until Hiddink, after which they became the form team of Europe until the end of the season.

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venceremos
Hardly a sage call to say Barcelona were the best team in the first half of 08/09. United didn't get going until the second half of the season (not that we ever got back to 07/08 level) and Chelsea were nowhere either until Hiddink, after which they became the form team of Europe until the end of the season.

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:34 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
There have been a handful of teams which have dominated European football in their respective eras, but only a very few that achieved that success playing collectively at the level of Barcelona under Guardiola: a whole team moving as if it was one unit, manipulating space on the pitch; 11 players active at all times, both with and without the ball; every player, no matter how talented or renowned, willing to play with generosity and to sacrifice himself for his team-mates; each player willing to assume the risk of playing on the edge, because he understands the capabilities of his team-mates and knows that each of them will do the same; automatisms so well honed, so thoroughly drilled, that they could be performed blindfolded. The capacity, in short, for 11 players to impose their will on every opponent through the way they play together, as a team. Over the past five decades, I believe that Ajax in the early 1970s and Milan in the late 1980s are the only others to reach those same heights.

Bayern, for instance, had great players in the 1970s, the likes of Maier, Beckenbauer, Breitner, Muller. A phenomenal group. They won three European Cups in succession and their players formed the basis of the West Germany side that won the World Cup in 1974. But they didn't win because because their tactical structure created a multiplier effect on their individual abilities, as Sacchi talks about; rather, they won because they had outstanding players, good team organisation, and a fantastic mentality. There's a big difference, I think.

Barcelona themselves didn't manage it before Guardiola, even with the all the great players they've had, even with their youth system oriented from top to bottom around dominating the ball, even with coaches of the calibre of Cruyff and Van Gaal. (Cruyff is clearly the figure who played the biggest role in bringing this style to Barcelona, and he built a wonderful team, but they always left the door open for the opponent. Guardiola's Barca, at their peak, didn't.) And they haven't done it since, either. This season, for example, I'd say that the only time they've dominated in the way that they did under Guardiola, against a good side, was on the weekend against Sevilla. For the opening 30 minutes of the match. They played that level consistently, in a high percentage of matches, for most of Guardiola's tenure.

Guardiola clearly doesn't have the status of Michels or Sacchi, men who not only built teams that astonished the world, but also imposed new visions of how to play the game, visions that still shape football through to this very day; but he did manage to build a team that touched perfection, as those two did before him. This will - without question, in my view - mark him out as a special figure in football history; someone whose name will still be mentioned decades hence. And he has had an influence on the way the game is played, one as big, I think, as anyone since the turn of the millennium, and not just on football in Europe, but also on a lot of the new generation of coaches in South America.

I would also ask those who say that what he achieved at Barca was only to be expected, given the players he had and what not, what opinion they had about this beforehand. How many expected them to become one of the all time great sides when Guardiola took charge? I know I didn't. And I know for a fact that most of the people on here didn't. I remember Ginners starting a thread towards the end of 2008 stating that Barcelona were the best team in the world. Most people said that we or Chelsea were better. Again, this was not before the fact, but months into his tenure. And even before we played them in the final, a lot people still thought we were the better side. You certainly could've seen them becoming one of the top teams in Europe again, capable of winning the domestic league and challenging the likes of United and Chelsea in European competition, but that's a long way from what they actually went on to achieve.

(I've just had a look at my reply to Ginners's thread, by the way. I wrote, in November of that year, that they were: "[A]bsolutely £#%&!ing awesome right now. Unquestionably the best team in the world so far this season. A supremely talented group of individuals playing at the top of their respective games as individuals, but also with dedication, sacrifice and generosity on a collective basis." Think it's fair to say that Ginners and I saged the shit out of that )
Have you ever kissed a girl?

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Have you ever kissed a girl?
Have you ever looked in a mirror without standing on a chair?

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:38 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Very good.

I'll give you that one - but i'm going to be honest with you.

I think you're an absolute £#%&!ing cretin.

Stop posting long-winded shit that no one reads, whilst you live in your own little fantasy world, thinking it makes you look... well i don't know what you think it makes you look... but you come across as a @#%&!, and this forum is already full of them and they're funnier than you.

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:48 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Very good.

Stop posting long-winded shit that no one reads, whilst you live in your own little fantasy world, thinking it makes you look... well i don't know what you think it makes you look... but you come across as a @#%&!, and this forum is already full of them and they're funnier than you.
I read them, and they're very good.

Unread 17-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
There have been a handful of teams which have dominated European football...
Great post, and you're right of course - he will be remembered for the automatism of his side and the level they achieved doing it. But did they really dominate Europe? Barca didn't defend the European Cup and ultimately that is what they set out to achieve. Moreover they never looked like defending it, and even more tellingly they shouldn't even have been in the 2009 final. They also had fortune on their side on the way to the final in 2011, particularly in the tie against Arsenal, in which they had totally dominated the 1st leg for more than an hour only to let Arsenal back in and lose it, narrowly squeaking the 2nd leg.

The trio of Xavi, Iniesta and Messi is what set Barca apart from the rest; for all their excellent teamwork, not dissimilar to many of the greatest teams, without Messi they struggled (relatively speaking), and without Xavi they lost their brain (again relatively). I would also hold their snide against them.

The other sides you mentioned are greater than pep's Barca imho, with Ajax and Milan unquestionably so, not least by virtue of retaining the European Cup, and Bayern having a host of brilliant players which is often a far more intoxicating recipe as a fan - and is why United at their best have been such a joy down the years (which takes us back to Messi & Iniesta btw)... i'm off now to check my posts in that thread

Unread 17-04-2015, 05:19 PM
The Watcher

Quote:

Unread 17-04-2015, 05:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Very good.

Unread 17-04-2015, 05:38 PM
andyroo

What's the origin of elhombre's beef with big Serrers? One of the more left field forum feuds this.

Unread 17-04-2015, 05:44 PM
no fun

Quote:
. but you come across as a @#%&!, and this forum is already full of them and they're funnier than you.
Cheers pal

Unread 17-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
What's the origin of elhombre's beef with big Serrers? One of the more left field forum feuds this.
Good question, needs answering.

Unread 17-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Ethers

Elhombre seems to feel a bit threatened by the big guy.

Unread 17-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Blagger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

Looking forward to the further use of Star Wars gifs and references over the coming months, pal.

Unread 18-04-2015, 12:33 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
The other sides you mentioned are greater than pep's Barca imho, with Ajax and Milan unquestionably so, not least by virtue of retaining the European Cup
That's %@#$&!s, tbf. If it wasn't for a shitty offside decision in the 2nd leg against Inter, Barca would have got to the Champion's League final in 2010, and most likely beaten a fairly average Bayern Munich side. That would have made it three European Cup wins on the spin between 2009-2011, and they were comfortably the best side in the world during that period.

Milan also failed to defend their Serie A title in 1990, losing out to Napoli. Barcelona won three La Liga titles on the spin in the 2008/09, 2009/10 and 2010/11 seasons. This included the historic Treble they won in 2008/09, which was Guardiola's first season in charge.

It's utterly ridiculous to claim that Sacchi's Milan side were 'unquestionably' better than Pep's Barca. Yes, they may well have been better, but it's far from conclusive. I personally think Barca would have wiped the floor with them, particularly the 2011 side that gave United an education at Wembley.
Closed Thread