United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:01 AM
n48

Should work well with that other Dutch guy from Ajax who we signed.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:01 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
So the reality seems to be barca want rid because they think he's shit?
Do you watch any football ?

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:16 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Signing players who don't really don't want to be here. How's that worked out in the past?.
Not when you convince them by throwing huge amounts of money at them as the convincer. Offering the same money and having the manager convince them for the right reasons wouldn’t be much of an issue. And tbf, any player who’s happy at his current huge club should be reluctant to join united. I’’m a fan and I’d be having doubts about such a move in the current climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Music to our ears.

“Yeah, he doesn’t absolutely hate the idea quite as much as he did a few days ago, so well done there lads. If we work at this for a few weeks we could possibly have him down to completely indifferent about the move very soon”
I doubt he hated the idea in the first place. Could easily be his second favourite club in the world, and he’d still be right to have his doubts and want to stay at his favourite club.

If we’re pushing ahead with doing a deal, it’s pretty obvious he’s told ten hag in private he’d join united if Barca wanted him to leave. Anything public will be aimed at Barca fans and his contract situation, and it’s understandable he’d want to stay at Barca anyway. Will soon change if a deal is agreed between the clubs.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:24 AM
armchair

He's far from shit but he doesn't suit Barca imo. He suits English football. He's not a passer for passing's sake or a tiki-taka footballer. He drives forward with the ball. Dare I say it a bit like this

We're looking to get him for 50m, barca want 75. He will love it at United.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:28 AM
dunk

Quote:
So the reality seems to be barca want rid because they think he's shit?
Comparatively with the ridiculous abilities of Gavi and Pedri, maybe, but they thought Coutinho was worth £136m, so do you trust their judgement?

I don’t think FDJ has really got the fans on side, so there’ll be no complaints if he’s sold to drum up some funds, that’s the crux of it.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:29 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Just leave it lads, how many times does he have to knock us back
Once. He clearly hasn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Should offer around 45 plus 15 add ons max. f*** Barca f*** de jong. They have just sold ickle Phil for 18 million ffs they are desperate
If united offer more than Barca paid for him, or de jong more than Barca pay him, it will be a mistake. I probably wouldn’t even offer him what he’s on at Barca, given they’d want him to take a pay cut to stay, and he probably would. But he’s also one of the most saleable, disposable assets on big wages. So they’re desperate to sell.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:36 AM
utd99

Ten Hag hasn’t managed a game in anger yet and we’re already laying the groundwork painting him as a fool.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:36 AM
Ronny

Good test for Utd new transfer team here. No more than three clubs in Europe can afford to match de Jong’s current wages no other club seriously in for him Barca have cash flow issues.
Expect 70m then

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:40 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Not an economic decision

He likely would lose his place next season as well. He was subbed a lot last season. They want rid economically, and they’re not arsed about losing him as they already have replacements coming through. I also don’t think de jong is happy from a footballing perspective at barca.

£60m at most, and same wages he’s on at Barca or slightly less. Anything else and united are still useless.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:41 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Once. He clearly hasn’t.

This. Him not wanting to leave his boyhood dream club doesn’t equal us leaving undanswered voicemail after voicemail.

Twist Barca’s arm, get a deal agreed and then it’s a completely different proposition for him. If he doesn’t want to come, he won’t.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:41 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Ten Hag hasn’t managed a game in anger yet and we’re already laying the groundwork painting him as a fool.
If they get him for £50m +add ons without making him the highest paid player at the club, it will be a cracking deal.

£#%&! chasing him all summer and chucking the kitchen sink at him though.

The lack of any other midfielders being linked concerns me, a lot. We’ve lost 3, and were a couple short anyway, and the ones we’ve got aren’t good enough. There must be a couple out there that are full of potential and gettable ffs

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He's far from shit but he doesn't suit Barca imo. He suits English football. He's not a passer for passing's sake or a tiki-taka footballer. He drives forward with the ball. Dare I say it a bit like this
Depends how ten hag wants to use him. He can be used numerous ways. With a CDM next to him, he’ll start attacks from deep and go forward with that attack. With a box to box midfielder next to him, he’ll stay the deepest midfielder when we attack. I suspect ten hag will do both depending on the game and his midfield partner.

I don’t think he’s that happy at Barca in a footballing sense. They don’t play to his strengths, and he’s constantly being subbed. I think he’s less reluctant to join united than has been reported.

Dr Stranger

Quote:
Not an economic decision

He likely would lose his place next season as well. He was subbed a lot last season. They want rid economically, and they’re not arsed about losing him as they already have replacements coming through.

£60m at most, and same wages he’s on at Barca or slightly less. Anything else and united are still useless.
I can imagine a lot of our dealings this summer will be add ons, as we spend our £120m budget (or whatever it is) as frugally as possible.

dunk

What’s his long range passing like? Nobody at the club can play a long pass with any accuracy or consistency now Pogba has gone.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Coracao

Not convinced on this one.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:46 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Ability or likelihood?

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:49 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Ability or likelihood?
Whether he is the right signing to be making / chances of being a success.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:50 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
What’s his long range passing like? Nobody at the club can play a long pass with any accuracy or consistency now Pogba has gone.
Good. Timber and Torres also good with the long passing.

All three also very good at beating a high press.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:51 AM
Ronny

Quote:
Highlights the fact the club still has no targets of their own lined up.

Unread 03-06-2022, 11:54 AM
dunk

Quote:
Whether he is the right signing to be making / chances of being a success.
Hm, I think I know what you mean. I’d have had little doubt if he’d come straight from Ajax, but not massively convinced now. Obviously won’t complain should he arrive, but can’t help but feel we need more pace and physicality along with the ability to play, and need to find it while spending less and offering lower wages, in the grand scheme.

Quote:
Good. Timber and Torres also good with the long passing.

All three also very good at beating a high press.
Have to get Timber and Torres, for me. Getting Maguire and Lindelof out of that team has to be a priority. So should getting a young, progressive goalkeeper.

Midfield is a horror show though
Closed Thread