United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Old 21-02-2017, 10:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
well yeah we can make up all the scenarios we like i suppose...

what mourinho has actually said is probably a better place to start though, and what he's actually said is that manchester united play differently to chelsea, more technically and creatively, more focus on trying to win with style rather than just getting results, making mata a perfect fit for us moreso than for chelsea...

it's an interesting point you make about greizman taking his place, but isn't that just moving the goalposts to make the same argument? greizman and mata seems a decent prospect together to me. throw in mhiki and pogba and if jose could get the balance right off the other side as well we could be peaking in some kind of cruyffian footballing nirvana sometime not long from now

If you want, by all means.

This United side is fairly typical Mourinho. Even at Blackburn we were focused on transitional opportunities.

Old 21-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Oscar is (or was) also quite a hard-working and tactical player. So he balanced Hazard better than Mata would.

It's why you won't often in a big game - or even tricky away games like Everton, West Ham - see Mata and Martial start. Usually it'll be one or the other. Mourinho will always, in England, have that degree of caution when it comes to carrying defensively suspect players.
in other words, mata is not the best option if you expect to be playing on the counter against a team missing out midfield quite a bit.

Quote:

If you want, by all means.

This United side is fairly typical Mourinho. Even at Blackburn we were focused on transitional opportunities.
no offence, but i'd rather listen to him than your danny murphy impression.

the team at blackburn was fairly typical man united

Old 21-02-2017, 10:11 AM
Sizlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

that's very reasonable. it just doesn't apply to most of the times he's subbed mata on 60/70 mins.

Mata is a lot of things but he isn't an athlete, he looks like to has to work really hard just to keep up the fitness he has. Whether we are chasing the game or sitting on a lead hes usually the first change, as we are looking for more pace in attack or for defensive cover. He always looks knackered tbf so fresh legs for him always looks a decent option after an hour or so.

Old 21-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
in other words, mata is not the best option if you expect to be playing on the counter against a team missing out midfield quite a bit.

the team at blackburn was fairly typical man united
Why Danny Murphy?

Old 21-02-2017, 10:17 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Maybe go and reply to him on a forum then, pal.

Old 21-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Maybe go and reply to him on a forum then, pal.
i thought i was

seriously though, there were people queuing up to sack mata the minute jose was appointed and the back peddling is pretty funny.

you saying that maybe he did fully intend to sack him but has changed his mind is exactly that. it's also pretty much what murphy now says.

fwiw i'm far from mata's biggest fan any more than i was berbatov's. but quality is quality and these are the players I pay to go and see - especially when the team isn't exactly packed with the stuff in certain other positions.

Old 21-02-2017, 11:00 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizlack
Mata is a lot of things but he isn't an athlete, he looks like to has to work really hard just to keep up the fitness he has. Whether we are chasing the game or sitting on a lead hes usually the first change, as we are looking for more pace in attack or for defensive cover. He always looks knackered tbf so fresh legs for him always looks a decent option after an hour or so.
yes, he's little and slow. but ibra is big and slow and mourinho keeps him on irrespective of his performance and the state of the game. mourinho clearly doesn't trust mata late in the game. but it doesn't seem particularly related to the way mata is playing, the energy he is showing or whether we need to attack to win or defend to hold a lead. it's just a preset. the fact is that mata is as likely to score as anyone in the team. and he will always be useless defensively, whether in the first minute or the last. you might as well say that bringing fellaini on for the last 20 minutes is a tactical move. it never is.

Last edited by jem; 21-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Old 21-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Do you read out all the posts aloud?

Old 21-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Do you read out all the posts aloud?
yes, i give you all different voices as well.

Old 21-02-2017, 12:37 PM
jem

Quote:
well yeah we can make up all the scenarios we like i suppose...

what mourinho has actually said is probably a better place to start though
you don't apply this to mrs may and brexit.
Closed Thread