United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Second in the league thanks to a 39 year old with 1 and half knees, four points behind Premier League Rejects F.C.
I thought you were talking about united for a second, there.

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:21 PM
Vida_15

another draw where we pull a massive team in a cup....shocking

to stay focused onthe competition it's better to get a bigger team as the players will be excited by it...

long term for the league it sucks because we'll have to put more weight on the regular XI to play more matches

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:38 PM
elhombre

It's a sad state of affairs when we are talking about our chances/preference of cup competitions, but having to also factor in securing runner up place in the league....

If that makes sense.

Too much is made of the league, to the point that challenging to be runners up may affect us winning the FA cup.

It's skewing the whole domestic game, IMO, and i also think it devalues the Champions League.

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Vida_15

if you want a chance to win the league and cups you HAVE to be in the champions league because only way to attract top players is to be in that competition

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:48 PM
Bunker Buster

There is zero chance (not done the math) of us not qualifying for the champions league via the league position so win the FA cup and have a steady go at the MINGING Europa...

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:54 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
if you want a chance to win the league and cups you HAVE to be in the champions league because only way to attract top players is to be in that competition
but in our position as Bunks has pointed out, if you are almost certain or very likely to qualify - go for the cups.

i hope we're not battling for 2nd spot. that would make no sense.

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:54 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
There is zero chance (not done the math) of us not qualifying for the champions league via the league position so win the FA cup and have a steady go at the MINGING Europa...
there are 39 points left available in the league and 6 points between United and Chelsea in fifth which could be cut in half this weekend with a loss.

i'd say we are FAR from having a zero chance of us not qualifying for the CL via league position

Unread 26-02-2021, 04:58 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
there are 39 points left available in the league and 6 points between United and Chelsea in fifth which could be cut in half this weekend with a loss.

i'd say we are FAR from having a zero chance of us not qualifying for the CL via league position
Then so be it, qualifying through a Europa cup win is absolutely vile and should be canned anyway....

Ooo here comes the loser losers....

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:00 PM
20LEgend1999

West Ham aren't going to finish above us, and neither are Liverpool or anyone below them. We'll finish top 4.

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Time For Heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Don’t follow Serie A at all. How they looking these days?
Not on a great run of form, only won 2 of their last 8 and couldn't beat Red Star home or away even when they had 10 men for ages last night.

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Then so be it, qualifying through a Europa cup win is absolutely vile and should be canned anyway....

oh i agree...i think this is silly as well

i just don't think we are guaranteed of finishing in the top 4 right now so the league should be the priority

until we get a bit of better depth in the squad, we should keep the focus domestically. It's not easy playing Thursday/Sunday from europa to PL and then you include the FA Cup into midweek assignments

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:18 PM
Tronics

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:30 PM
windy waffles

Quote:

Would give the team huge confidence...

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:50 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Would give the team huge confidence...
It's bullshit mate, were having these conversations more and more recently because we are losers at staying in the champions league or qualifying....

When you lower your standards to a competition like the Europa you are on a slippery slope...

League and the FA cup....

£#%&! this competition..m

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:50 PM
jem

I hope it doesn't feel like a cl game. we're shit at those.

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:53 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
It's bullshit mate, were having these conversations more and more recently because we are losers at staying in the champions league or qualifying....

When you lower your standards to a competition like the Europa you are on a slippery slope...

f*** this competition..m
i'm right there with you on this one....League and FA Cup should be the priority

Europa cup is like winning the Carling Cup....it's a trophy but doesn't feel like a major trophy

i see though why Ole is pressing hard for these cups because it's a just and inexperienced team that is trying to learn how to win and how to have that winning mentality.

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:53 PM
elhombre

Quote:

£#%&! this competition..m
What would your opinion be on the European Cup Winners Cup be, then?

(no snide - genuine question)

Unread 26-02-2021, 05:58 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
What would your opinion be on the European Cup Winners Cup be, then?

(no snide - genuine question)
that was a competition for teams that had to win something to gain entry. the cl isn't even for champs any more. 3 runners-up get in. europa is for mediocrities. even calling it a plate is generous.

sure, it's better to win than to lose, though. as long as it doesn't hamper our chances in the league.

Unread 26-02-2021, 06:02 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
that was a competition for teams that had to win something to gain entry. the cl isn't even for champs any more. 3 runners-up get in. europa is for mediocrities. even calling it a plate is generous.

sure, it's better to win than to lose, though. as long as it doesn't hamper our chances in the league.
which is where this is going.

The UEFA Cup, call it what you will is bobbins.

Unread 26-02-2021, 06:29 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
which is where this is going.

The UEFA Cup, call it what you will is bobbins.
obvs, if the only way we can get into the cl is to win this, then it is worth winning. but it is a very precarious route to the cl... and focusing on it risks our league position, which should be the primary aim for its own sake, but also to get into the cl.

we should be trying to win both cups and finish second, though. we've got a squad.
Closed Thread