United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-03-2019, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Your flounce?
As they used to caption in Batman - KERPOW!

Unread 18-03-2019, 11:31 PM
20LEgend1999

Some people seem to have quickly forgotten where we were this time four months ago. While there have been worrying signs, I'm surprised how many people are already having serious doubts after two bad results. It's a testament to what he's done with this squad (that most would agree has plenty of issues) that he's raised the expectation levels this high. If he hadn't started with such overachievement, nobody would be surprised by these last couple of performances.

It feels like some people were waiting for any blip to revert to their initial position, and are happy to ignore the fact we're three points off third and in the Champions League quarter final, during a season most people wrote off in September. Of course if the trend continues it's a worry, but it's disingenuous to jump on these performances at this point and draw conclusions from it.

The switch in intensity since Ole took over (which the stats back up) was always going to have an effect at some point, be it through injuries or the drop off we've seen over the last couple of weeks. But if people are judging Solskjaer off these last two games (and a few other questionable performances, from which we got good results), it's suggests to me people were never going to give him the chance and were waiting for any excuse to criticise him.

Moreover, I don't see how anybody could not just want to see him given a chance. The idea that we wouldn't have had games like this with any other manager is absurd, and if Poch had took over in December - and we'd put in some of the performances his Spurs side have put in since then - people would be calling for his head already. Beyond that, the fact that there is a genuine connection between Ole and the club, at the risk of sounding RAWK-ish, should matter. I'd certainly rather see Ole given the opportunity he's earned, rather than Pochettino (my initial first choice) who appears to have made it clear he'd much rather be at Real Madrid.

Given that he already has the job, and the understanding Solskjaer appears to have of what it takes to play for United, I'm intrigued to see who he will target in the Summer.

Unread 18-03-2019, 11:59 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Some people seem to have quickly forgotten where we were this time four months ago. While there have been worrying signs, I'm surprised how many people are already having serious doubts after two bad results. It's a testament to what he's done with this squad (that most would agree has plenty of issues) that he's raised the expectation levels this high. If he hadn't started with such overachievement, nobody would be surprised by these last couple of performances.

It feels like some people were waiting for any blip to revert to their initial position, and are happy to ignore the fact we're three points off third and in the Champions League quarter final, during a season most people wrote off in September. Of course if the trend continues it's a worry, but it's disingenuous to jump on these performances at this point and draw conclusions from it.

The switch in intensity since Ole took over (which the stats back up) was always going to have an effect at some point, be it through injuries or the drop off we've seen over the last couple of weeks. But if people are judging Solskjaer off these last two games (and a few other questionable performances, from which we got good results), it's suggests to me people were never going to give him the chance and were waiting for any excuse to criticise him.

Moreover, I don't see how anybody could not just want to see him given a chance. The idea that we wouldn't have had games like this with any other manager is absurd, and if Poch had took over in December - and we'd put in some of the performances his Spurs side have put in since then - people would be calling for his head already. Beyond that, the fact that there is a genuine connection between Ole and the club, at the risk of sounding RAWK-ish, should matter. I'd certainly rather see Ole given the opportunity he's earned, rather than Pochettino (my initial first choice) who appears to have made it clear he'd much rather be at Real Madrid.

Given that he already has the job, and the understanding Solskjaer appears to have of what it takes to play for United, I'm intrigued to see who he will target in the Summer.
You suggesting people might be approaching this topic with some bias, 20LEgend1999?

Fair points, though. There's still quite a way to go this season. Nobody in their right mind is expecting anything from the Barca tie, but we will need to see another upturn to quell the doubts. If this turns into a slump it has us a little back at square one.

More focus on the players, though. Even if it turns out Ole comes up a little short as a manager, the top four is important to United and you expect some of these lads to pull their finger out. He's not a hard manager to play for in the short term. They need to react.

Unread 19-03-2019, 12:08 AM
20LEgend1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
You suggesting people might be approaching this topic with some bias, 20LEgend1999?

Unread 19-03-2019, 02:37 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It’s not me doing it pal. It’s you doing it to yourself
And on you go.

Unread 22-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Part 36 Offer

Has there ever been a more United appointment?!!

I'm in Christchurch at the moment and it's awful but Man Utd still rise to the top, £#%&!ing love United

Unread 22-03-2019, 10:54 AM
windy waffles

Poch 12/1 for the gig atm.

Worth a score.

Unread 22-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Has there ever been a more United appointment?!!

I'm in Christchurch at the moment and it's awful but Man Utd still rise to the top, £#%&!ing love United

Should’ve gone to Bournemouth. Altogether classier.

Unread 02-04-2019, 08:45 PM
saffers

Not exactly a great reaction to him getting the job.

Could and probably should have lost at home to Watford as well.

Unread 02-04-2019, 08:47 PM
MartialLaw

What the £#%&! was he thinking starting young at centre back?

Unread 02-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Red Santos

Good luck Ole. You're gonna need it

Unread 02-04-2019, 08:59 PM
ZiggyStardust

Won’t be judged until next season but let’s be honest he still has much to prove as a manager

Would like to see a better coached team than what I’m seeing atm
Don’t see enough clear structure to our play
Hard to implement things mid season tbf

We’ll learn much more about how Ole is going to develop this side from preseason on

I have to say those new contracts for Jones and Young worry me more and more every time I think about them
The squad needs a purge

Unread 02-04-2019, 09:52 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Won’t be judged until next season but let’s be honest he still has much to prove as a manager

Would like to see a better coached team than what I’m seeing atm
We do need to remember just how bad everything had got when he came in, that wasn't *just* because of Mou going mental.

Unread 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I have to say those new contracts for Jones and Young worry me more and more every time I think about them
The squad needs a purge
The moment they were announced I think most of us were sickened and knew who was behind it. Smalling aswell, 5 year deal only a week or two before Mou got sacked....

Unread 02-04-2019, 09:55 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Should’ve gone to Bournemouth. Altogether classier.
I assume he's in NZ but just for the avoidance of doubt with anyone planning on visiting the South Coast...Bournemouth is NOT classier than Christchurch.

Both are a bit rough though it must be said.

Unread 02-04-2019, 09:57 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
The moment they were announced I think most of us were sickened and knew who was behind it. Smalling aswell, 5 year deal only a week or two before Mou got sacked....
He’ll be 34 when that expires...

Imagine signing off on a deal that will keep Chris Smalling at the club until he’s 34.

Unread 02-04-2019, 10:11 PM
tatty

It will be interesting to see what sort of budget Ole gets this summer.

I find it hard to believe he was intended to be anything other than a stop-gap and if the Glazer's feel they were bounced in to the appointment I can see them being less than generous.

Regardless, we desperately need a knowledgeable DoF to put a stop to the contract/signings stupidity that has made us a laughing stock since fergie left.

Unread 03-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I assume he's in NZ but just for the avoidance of doubt with anyone planning on visiting the South Coast...Bournemouth is NOT classier than Christchurch.

Both are a bit rough though it must be said.
Jem lives in Bournmouth....actually he doesn't... technically

Unread 03-04-2019, 07:28 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

this is going to end in tears.

Unread 03-04-2019, 07:44 AM
windy waffles

I wonder if there is a 14 day cooling off period in the contract?

Closed Thread