United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Yes. That's exactly what's going to happen.
Commiserations re Boca

This is all a bit over the top anyway, isn't it? Surely trying to keep hold of the best player in the world should be the objective at the moment.

We've had players - some of the most popular, at that - consider moving before. We managed to convince them to stay; hopefully we'll do the same with Ronaldo.

Unread 06-06-2008, 12:35 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Commiserations re Boca

Unread 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
S/Side.Red

Who do you fancy in the final?

Unread 06-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Fountz

VDS
Neville
Ferdinand
Vidic
Evra
Hargreaves
Scholes
Anderson
Berbatov
Rooney
Tevez

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Serenity Now

Anyway, to be honest, it was disappointing, but I'm proud of the way the players performed. And to be contesting for trophies every year is still incredible, in my lifetime it's really only something that's been happening for the last decade, for the twenty years prior to that the highlight of the season was usually beating Riber Plei in the superclasico.

11 years without a major trophy between 1981 and 1992, and another 6 years after that, signings so stupid it was actually funny, lots of crap football. Relatively speaking, you'd have to say things still look pretty £#%&!ing good. Perhaps La Bombonera doesn't smell enough of the riachuelo these days anyway.

In terms of the final, when you look at the teams they've knocked out to get to the final, you'd have to say Fluminense are the favourites at this point. In terms of the combination of cup pedigree and sheer quality, there probably weren't any teams in the competition this year superior to Boca and Sao Paulo. They also don't look as vulnerable to being exploited by LDU's pace on the counter as the other teams that the Ecuadorians have faced so far. And they get to play the second leg at the Maracana again, which could be particularly important given the altitude factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
This is all a bit over the top anyway, isn't it? Surely trying to keep hold of the best player in the world should be the objective at the moment.

We've had players - some of the most popular, at that - consider moving before. We managed to convince them to stay; hopefully we'll do the same with Ronaldo.
Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit fed up with Ronaldo at the moment, but in purely footballing terms, I can't think of any signing we could make that would be better than keeping him. Assuming he would still be willing to show the same kind of dedication every day in training and every time he steps on the pitch, that is.

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Fountz

Lightbulb Serenity.

Have you read any of Simon Ingis's books ? They're primarily on football stadia [SIZE="1"]( which was unfortunately my anorak subject ) but also contain excellent potted histories of each club.

His Football Grounds of Europe is probably my favourite football related book ( closely followed by Brian Glanville's excellent history of the European Cup )

Anyway, Inglis also wrote a book called "Sightlines" where he indulges his fascination with sports grounds.. Big chunk is devoted to him treking around Buenos Aries going to as many grounds as he can. ( there's loads ).

For what it's worth, and I don't profess to be a fan of either, but I always prefered River Plate to Boca Juniors.

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Have you read any of Simon Ingis's books ? They're primarily on football stadia [SIZE="1"]( which was unfortunately my anorak subject ) but also contain excellent potted histories of each club.

His Football Grounds of Europe is probably my favourite football related book ( closely followed by Brian Glanville's excellent history of the European Cup )

Anyway, Inglis also wrote a book called "Sightlines" where he indulges his fascination with sports grounds.. Big chunk is devoted to him treking around Buenos Aries going to as many grounds as he can. ( there's loads ).
I haven't. But they sound interesting and I trust your taste, so I'll have a look. And yes, Buenos Aires has a lot of football clubs. I believe a higher concentration than any other city in the world. I actually have a map somewhere round here with the location of every club listed, I'd upload it if I could find it, although I'm not too optimistic my chances
Quote:
For what it's worth, and I don't profess to be a fan of either, but I always prefered River Plate to Boca Juniors.
I'm just going to ignore this part

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
I'm just going to ignore this part
Stems from Subbuteo.

My mate was ( and indeed still is ) a big United fan and would always play as them. He had several teams in all white ( and City ) for me to pick from I'd agree to be Real Madrid but he'd switch it over to Leeds mid way through.

His Mum was very arty and painted a Red Diagonal Stripe on one set for me. Funnily enough it was going to be Ajax but she got it wrong at the beginning.

Remember his Dad interjecting after she'd #@&%!ed up the first one, that with a bit of work she could make it into a diagonal stripe and I could be River Plate..

Unread 06-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Serenity Now

Nice story, and well told as always, just a shame about the ending

Unread 06-06-2008, 03:12 AM
RedArmy20

Default huh...

Foster
Oshea, Brown, Evans, Silvestre
Eagles, Fletcher, Possebon, Park
Haynes, Campbell

Unread 06-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
Edwin

Brown Rio Vidic Evra

Valencia Palacios Anderson Nani

Rooney Santa Cruz

What you reckon Thiago?
I would be gutted if that was the starting line up next season.

Can't believe people rate Santa Cruz so highly, He was dogshit for Bayern and would be a lumbering jackass for a side like United.

Unread 06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
puressence

im expecting a cheeky bid for etoo or ronaldhinho
Closed Thread