United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Whip Hubley

Exclamation Solskjaer laments - selfish & greedy fans to blame for poor performance

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57143621

Manchester United players have been affected by the fan protests about the club's ownership, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Last week, Solskjaer's side were beaten by Leicester and Liverpool in the space of 50 hours as a congested fixture list combined with fan discontent to disrupt their planning.

United's players spent hours in the stadium and beds were delivered so they could rest ahead of the Liverpool game amid fears of major demonstrations.

"I didn't want to use it as an excuse because we lost two games, but surely it's reason behind the performances," he said.

"Physically it's impossible to play at the intensity that's required because of the amount of games. Then you look at the preparation in between and we haven't had the recovery and the same routine as we normally would and we haven't done the tactical preparation."

Victory against Fulham, whose relegation was confirmed over a week ago, will cement United's status as runners-up for only the second time since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.

That would allow Solskjaer to leave all his main players out of the final-day trip to Wolves, which comes four days before his side's Europa League final with Villarreal in Gdansk.

And he is hoping the return of fans can bring some positivity back to the club.

"It's never nice to see a club that is not united. We're hoping Tuesday is going to be a positive day and that we move together.

"The mood in any club and the relationship between the team and the fans is vital to what happens on the pitch. Hopefully the players will give the fans a reason to cheer. That's what we have to focus on.

"It's a big game for us in that respect."

Unread 17-05-2021, 01:48 PM
utd99

My man.

Unread 17-05-2021, 01:53 PM
ScarFace

So he isn't going to click on any google ads then !

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:07 PM
20LEgend1999

Question: I’d say we’ve all been waiting for this occasion for when fans come in but because of what’s happened over the past week or so, it’s slightly different in the mood and tone. I’m just wondering what your message would be to the Manchester United fans, because clearly it’s not the day we all hoped to see, it’s wrapped in different material, if you like…

“Well, we’ve been waiting for a long, long time to welcome the fans back and of course the last couple of home games – especially the Liverpool ones, with the protests… it’s never nice to see a club that is not united, the fans and the team. So of course, we’re hoping that Tuesday is going to be a positive day, that we move together, that we play a good game of football, because that’s my job – to prepare the team, to play well and that they enjoy the day. That’s important now, that we get back and enjoy being together.”

Question: You talked about the professionalism of your players but they’re only human, as you said. Isn’t it natural that even subconsciously they maybe affected by what’s happening off the pitch? They had their routine changed for the game against Liverpool. These kind of things can surely impact on them?

“Yeah, surely. I just didn’t want to use that as an excuse. We lost the two games, but surely it’s reason behind the performances and the results we’ve had. Physically, it’s impossible for them to turn up and play at the intensity and the level that’s required because of the amount of games. Then you look at the preparation in-between. You haven’t had the recovery in-between, you haven’t had the same routine as you normally do. We haven’t done the tactical prep in the same way as we’ve had. Of course, I’m not saying that it didn’t affect them, but was impressed with how professional they were in the way they went about it. There was none of them who complained. That’s one of the big things, for me, that we never complain. We never look outwards, we just look at what we can do. How can we maximise the situation? We tried to do that but we couldn’t get the results. The players have been good as gold, now they’ve had a couple of days off to refresh and be ready and we prepare as normal for these last two games.”

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:17 PM
utd99

He’s handled a no-win situation very well.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:19 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
No mate, he’s a stooge and he should be dead to any self-respecting United fan. And Saffers.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
No mate, he’s a stooge and he should be dead to any self-respecting United fan. And Saffers.
The ones who love to tell everyone else what to think you mean?

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:22 PM
dunk

Quote:

I can't see what's not to like. Still one or two large questions to be answered, but probably a year or two for those answers to be properly judged and to determine whether he is the man for future, but everything he's done thus far has been top notch, while not without mistakes, imo.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:23 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The ones who love to tell everyone else what to think you mean?
And feel. Don’t forget feel.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:26 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Yep. Much better response. Said pretty much what I suggested a few weeks ago - no negativity, wants the club and fans to be united again, our job is to win matches, etc.

Maybe he lurks on here.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:28 PM
Ethers

Can’t believe he called the protesters, and I quote, “never nice”.

Difficult situation for anyone tbf but I think he’s made a bit of a mess of the whole thing, right down to the team selection for the 2 games.

Unread 17-05-2021, 02:44 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

I can't see what's not to like. Still one or two large questions to be answered, but probably a year or two for those answers to be properly judged and to determine whether he is the man for future, but everything he's done thus far has been top notch, while not without mistakes, imo.
Fergie wasn't without mistakes, rode his luck a little with signings too.
Missed out on Glenn Hysen, "ended up" with Pally.
Missed out on David Hirst, "ended up" with Eric.

Far from Ole being Sir Alex's stock, but he's had a chance to learn from the best, no doubt seeks his counsel and is clearly to learn, improve the team and squad balance. Compare to Moyes who didn't listen and LvG/Jose who both wanted infinite funds. LvG did, though, make a good point that we should have been spending more in the transfer market (more of a dig at the owners and Woowar) given the size of us. Felt like we were one of four megaclubs along with Bayern, Barca and Real and we were the only club not acting like one.

That's all without a pandemic, an unexplainable significant drop in De Gea's standards and the state of the club owners and management above him to negotiate around/with.

Unread 17-05-2021, 03:25 PM
jem

did anyone ask him how come none of united's players made garth crooks's team of the week?

Unread 17-05-2021, 04:35 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
a no-win situation
Our home form.

Unread 17-05-2021, 05:27 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Can’t believe he called the protesters, and I quote, “never nice”.

Difficult situation for anyone tbf but I think he’s made a bit of a mess of the whole thing, right down to the team selection for the 2 games.
Easy to say with hindsight that we should have played a stronger team against Leicester - but yes, "with hindsight".

Unread 17-05-2021, 06:14 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Our home form.

Unread 17-05-2021, 06:29 PM
Matt6677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57143621

"I didn't want to use it as an excuse because we lost two games, but surely it's reason behind the performances," he said.
Orite enough of that!

Wth is wrong with him? Before he was moaning about the lack of crowd in the stadium and using it to justify the poor performances and now it's the protests.

Just rubbish. Truth is Ole that your not a very good manager and like to play your favourites no matter how crap they are playing

Go away please

Unread 17-05-2021, 07:40 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt6677
Go away please
Well, you said it.

Unread 17-05-2021, 07:43 PM
dragflick

Thumbs up

Unread 17-05-2021, 08:07 PM
Matt6677