United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 27-03-2024, 08:54 PM
larry

Cool Eric

It was one of the most baffling utterances ever made by a footballer.

When Eric Cantona said at a 1995 press conference: “When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea,” everyone was left scratching their heads.

What on earth did it mean? Was Cantona not only a star striker but a philosopher to boot? All he would say by way of explanation was: it meant what it meant.

Now, after decades of speculation and analysis, the 57-year-old has said it was just the first thing that came into his head after he was forced to speak to journalists. And his almost 30-year silence on the subject was a sort of revenge against the press who he said had “destroyed” him.
Eric Cantona lounging on a couch and resting his legs on a classical guitar
‘I can do everything but be humble’: Eric Cantona on his surprise new music career
Read more

The former footballer turned photographer, actor, documentary maker, sports’ coach, poet and now singer made his supposedly profound seagulls and sardines statement after being ordered to speak to the press to explain his notorious kung-£#%&!ick on an abusive Crystal Palace fan at an away game at Selhurst Park in January 1995.

Cantona was banned until the end of the season and narrowly avoided being sent to jail for assault after a two-week prison sentence was reduced to community service. However, the press had a field day.

Manchester United were criticised for taking 36 hours to ban him, while the Mirror described it as “the night football died of shame” and called Cantona “the madman” and the Express accused him of “absolute thuggery in front of children”. Brian Clough, the outspoken former Nottingham Forest manager, said of the player that he would have “cut his balls off”.

The kick was shown 93 times on television over the following two days. Cantona would later say he had just one regret: “I would have loved to have kicked him harder.”

Appearing this week on the popular French chatshow C dans l’air to perform a song from his new album, Cantona laughed as he recalled how the phrase had thrown the British press into a frenzy.

“After the [court] judgment they [Manchester United] absolutely wanted me to speak to the press. I didn’t want to but they said it’s important you have to speak to the press. So I said, OK I will speak to the press, in the sense that they want me to speak – I’ll say any old thing.

“They wanted me to speak, I spoke. It just came out and then I left. And the press, they all tried to find a sense to it and make it all philosophical. You know, it just came out like that; maybe it came from my subconscious and maybe unconsciously it created a sense, but the best sense of it was, you make me speak, I speak and who cares whether the words make sense.”

Cantona – who scored 82 goals for United and won four league titles and two doubles – added: “You know, they [the press] destroyed me. But in a way I have had my revenge. They were all trying to find a meaning and they all asked me to explain and I said nothing.”

The seagulls feature in his song I Love You So Much from his recently released album, Cantona Sings Eric. The song is dedicated to Manchester and he performed it to a rapturous audience in the city last October at his first official concert.

“The people of Manchester gave me so much, I wanted to give something back. Manchester in the 1990s was Manchester United,” Cantona told C dans l’air, adding: “We were rock stars. I grew up, spent time with the club that succeeded and won after 26 years without titles, it was such a hopeful town and still is now.”

The star, who played himself in the 2009 Ken Loach film Looking for Eric and has never knowingly undersold himself, added: “I sing ‘then the press called me the greatest philosopher … and I think they were completely right’. And they were right.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football...chester-united

Unread 27-03-2024, 08:58 PM
est.1878

Was blatantly obvious to everyone but the press what it meant...

Unread 27-03-2024, 09:13 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Was blatantly obvious to everyone but the press what it meant...
Exactly. Had to be a bit of a thicko to not get it ffs

Unread 27-03-2024, 09:28 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic View Post
Exactly. Had to be a bit of a thicko to not get it ffs
Weren't sports journalists at the time basically the job that the thickest of the old boys network public schoolboys got

Unread 27-03-2024, 09:29 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878 View Post
Weren't sports journalists at the time basically the job that the thickest of the old boys network public schoolboys got
These days, only the first part is essential.