United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-01-2017, 02:23 AM
Cream

Football Wayne Rooney supporting cast grow tired of chasing records

Not my words, but those of top football journalist Paul Wilson.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...l-city-efl-cup

Quote:
Surpassing Sir Bobby Charlton has become a distraction in addition to making the Manchester United captain too easy to mark out of the game – as Hull City demonstrated in the EFL Cup semi-final first leg

He can still stick the ball away when given the chance, though perhaps not as acrobatically or as efficiently as Ibrahimovic, yet the trouble with this plan is that it transmits itself too readily to defenders. A Rooney waiting in the middle is a Rooney too easy to mark or, put another way, too difficult for his team-mates to find, which is why from the midpoint of the first half onwards the striker’s support cast began to take matters into their own hands. One by one United’s forwards tired of finding a way through a packed penalty area and tried potshots. Henrikh Mkhitaryan had three in a row, the first the best chance of all after neat work by Juan Mata, then Antonio Valencia, Paul Pogba, Rashford and Ander Herrera all tried and failed.

When half-time arrived Rooney was one of the few red-shirted players on the pitch still to have a shy at goal. His frustration led him to have a word with Kevin Friend at the end of the half, at which point a supportive crowd began chanting his name. He probably needed the encouragement. The only sniff he had had was right on the stroke of the interval following a thrilling break by Mkhitaryan but Rooney and Rashford managed to get in each other’s way to allow David Meyler to make a clearance.

Unread 11-01-2017, 02:55 AM
armchair

It's one goal and he's only playing in the cups ffs. Let's not get carried away.

Unread 11-01-2017, 03:03 AM
waynes ear's

Not really sure why he got hauled off on 60 minutes but he wasnt shite.

Unless Jose is saving him for the 96th minute penalty to score the winner on sunday

Unread 11-01-2017, 03:44 AM
Denis Irwell

We don't get penalties - esp against them.

Unread 11-01-2017, 04:17 AM
waynes ear's

Michael Oliver is the ref pal. Anything can happen. He's a shithouse. The crowd get on him early enough and he'll be throwing the ball into liverpools net himself

£#%&! it. 4-0 United. £#%&! Rooney. Smash these shit@#%&!s. All out attack from the off. OT rocking. Bring Rooney on after Zlatan secures the perfect hatrick. Rooney scores the fourth in the 96th minute to honour his fellow finished scousers and ends his united career as leading goalscorer, one of the most decorated english players to play the game, gets sold to Szechuan Chicken FC for 80 million teabags knowing Woody

What a week

Unread 11-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Stickman

what a load of shit.

You could say that of any forward that was at one time 1 goal off becoming all time top scorer at their club.

Unread 11-01-2017, 05:55 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
what a load of shit.

You could say that of any forward that was at one time 1 goal off becoming all time top scorer at their club.
Name them. No googling

Unread 11-01-2017, 06:05 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Michael Oliver is the ref pal. Anything can happen. He's a shithouse. The crowd get on him early enough and he'll be throwing the ball into liverpools net himself

£#%&! it. 4-0 United. £#%&! Rooney. Smash these shit@#%&!s. All out attack from the off. OT rocking. Bring Rooney on after Zlatan secures the perfect hatrick. Rooney scores the fourth in the 96th minute to honour his fellow finished scousers and ends his united career as leading goalscorer, one of the most decorated english players to play the game, gets sold to Szechuan Chicken FC for 80 million teabags knowing Woody

What a week

Didn't work vs Arsenal when he sent Marie off for plucking his shirt after he refused a stonewall (for arse or dippers, anyway) free kick just outside their box

Unread 11-01-2017, 06:43 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Name them. No googling
At one time or another:

Henry
Shearer
Ian Wright
Totti
Raul
Messi

Unread 11-01-2017, 07:15 AM
DuanePipe

I think he's essentially saying that a forward who is going out on the pitch trying, quite deliberately to score a goal is too predictable. Like, it's obvious. Cliché, even. He's trying to score on PURPOSE and he's standing in positions that might give him the chance to deliberately and purposely score a goal. This is why the world's great strikers, Van Basten, Batistuta, Klose, Trundle et al have such a great advantage. They don't make it too obvious to the opposition that they're attempting to score. Almost impossible to mark if you've got that sort of deception to your game.

Unread 11-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Mr_Ed

He had his chance and he missed... when he plays at 10 we're slow and there is little pace.

I'll be surprised if he's anywhere near the starting 11 on Sunday.

Unread 11-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Bunker Buster

Utter shite.

Just words spewed all over a page and called a think piece.

£#%&!ing bald mole...

He played well last night...it's a team game. As Jose said in the present match "he has years to get the record"

Not my words, words of a united manager...

A goal against those scouse @#%&!s and a new rolling contract..

Lifer.

Unread 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM
prunier

I am more concerned about the old hair transplant situation, hairline looking good, further back not so much.

Unread 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunier
I am more concerned about the old hair transplant situation, hairline looking good, further back not so much.
I'm going to shock you here mate....he's going bald.

Unread 11-01-2017, 09:56 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
I think he's essentially saying that a forward who is going out on the pitch trying, quite deliberately to score a goal is too predictable. Like, it's obvious. Cliché, even. He's trying to score on PURPOSE and he's standing in positions that might give him the chance to deliberately and purposely score a goal. This is why the world's great strikers, Van Basten, Batistuta, Klose, Trundle et al have such a great advantage. They don't make it too obvious to the opposition that they're attempting to score. Almost impossible to mark if you've got that sort of deception to your game.

Unread 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Spock

Quote:

Unread 11-01-2017, 10:09 AM
Zorg

Quote:

Maybe Van Gaal was right all that time.

Unread 11-01-2017, 10:13 AM
prunier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He was losing very aggressively and 2 transplants have made him look almost normal. But now the back's going. It's just interesting cause obviously he was pretty much bald as a coot in 2010. He's got unlimited cash and therefore is using the best surgeons and latest techniques. I won't be forking out 5 grand if it's just delaying the inevitable for another 3 years

Unread 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

I'm going to shock you here bunksy .... He's going balder than Sir Bob. Getting close to the baldness record tbf. Reckon Bobs comb over was better value tbh.

Unread 11-01-2017, 10:40 AM
Tumescent Throb

he was crap last night, nqat, but even at his worst he is nowhere near as shit at his job as paul wilson is at his.

looked like rooney was having a pop at the ref because the ref was £#%&!ing useless - 2 virtually identical tackles he gave theirs as a fk and didn't give us the pen on rashford...
Closed Thread