United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2018, 11:01 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
United are winning matches under Jose Mourinho but still not looking great.
Nothing controversial about that statement tbh.

Unread 02-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Bunker Buster

Crook’o’ pretty much spot on there.....

Unread 02-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Nothing controversial about that statement tbh.
Really isn't is there?
Although, first half on Saturday we looked great

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Really isn't is there?
Steady on. We looked competent for about 20 minutes.

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Really isn't is there?
Big part of that was Pogba actually playing like a serious footballer. Moved the ball quickly, kept it simple, stepped forward when it was on, used his brain, played within the flow of the game. It bores him though, does it for a spell then wants to amuse himself trying the difficult, looking for highlights.

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Big part of that was Pogba actually playing like a serious footballer. Moved the ball quickly, kept it simple, stepped forward when it was on, used his brain, played within the flow of the game. It bores him though, does it for a spell then wants to amuse himself trying the difficult, looking for highlights.
Looked bored out of his mind and barely out of second gear throughout. Almost played at walking pace it was that easy for him. A waste.

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Looked bored out of his mind and barely out of second gear throughout. Almost played at walking pace it was that easy for him. A waste.
I still hold to the idea that if he is going to become the player he is hyped to be he has a better chance of doing that in a deeper, more orthodox role than in some bastardized half way position where he can avoid any real responsibility.

He might want to play higher up with more freedom but you can always find players who can do that and give more goals than Pogba will. Discovering a midfielder with the range of game that he has is much more difficult. I criticize Mourinho a lot but trying to get Pogba to adapt to a more disciplined role is the best route for him.

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Cream

Quote:
He was ty-ty after his international game.

Watch him dominate City within the sound tactical plan laid out by our legendary manager and be grateful.

Unread 02-04-2018, 02:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
I still hold to the idea that if he is going to become the player he is hyped to be he has a better chance of doing that in a deeper, more orthodox role than in some bastardized half way position where he can avoid any real responsibility.

He might want to play higher up with more freedom but you can always find players who can do that and give more goals than Pogba will. Discovering a midfielder with the range of game that he has is much more difficult. I criticize Mourinho a lot but trying to get Pogba to adapt to a more disciplined role is the best route for him.
He needs to do the disciplined stuff nqat, he looked like I felt watching them tbh. Not sure quite what we do with him, he doesn’t relish the simple, or the battle and doesn’t want to let others take charge by the looks of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
He was ty-ty after his international game.

Watch him dominate City within the sound tactical plan laid out by our legendary manager and be grateful.
good to see you showing some comedy chops for once.

Unread 02-04-2018, 10:13 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
At what point has Jose "tried to use lingard sparingly"?

Guy can't help dropping in a completely unnecessary Jose snide in every single paragraph about united. Hence the siders comparison
He’s accidentally kept picking him it seems. Bit like on FIFA when you forget to alter your starting line up.

All for giving the Portuguese @#%&! a kicking, but Crooks is a #@&%!ed man child.

Unread 03-04-2018, 02:23 AM
Kangared

Quote:

Absolutely. 2 of his greatest assets are his long passing game & ability to get up & down the pitch quickly. Both are lost when he plays too high up . As long as Matic sits he can still go forward, but with more freedom

Unread 03-04-2018, 08:04 AM
jem

Quote:

cannot play in a midfield 2 (like anyone) and, even in a 3, will require a lot more discipline (or ability to read the game).

Unread 03-04-2018, 11:46 AM
guerreiro

Quote:
good to see you showing some comedy chops for once.
I actually remember when Cream was funny. Before he went all weird.

Unread 03-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
I actually remember when Cream was funny. Before he went all weird.
Same.

Got angry lately. Not nice to see.

Unread 03-04-2018, 01:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Does he have the brain for it though? We can talk technical and physical qualities but if you don’t understand how to play that role then it’s pointless. At 25 it’s getting hard to see that lightbulb just going off out of the blue. There’s been no sign of it during his time here.

Unread 03-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Does he have the brain for it though? We can talk technical and physical qualities but if you don’t understand how to play that role then it’s pointless. At 25 it’s getting hard to see that lightbulb just going off out of the blue. There’s been no sign of it during his time here.
Absolutely, but if not where do you play him. In a 4-2-3-1 he is not really suited to any of the attacking spots, off a striker he would slow the game down too much and his finishing is poor, and a wider role is a non starter. A 4-3-3 is basically committing to building around Pogba and his attacking contribution, 2 midfielders to babysit him and he as the main creative force. Even in that role, against good teams, he can not avoid defensive responsibility. It might be the role that gets the most out of him, but does it fit what the team need, difficult balancing act.

Just needs to grow up, France have the same problem with him, finding a role for him that does not compromise other areas. Too talented to not try though.

Unread 03-04-2018, 04:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Absolutely, but if not where do you play him. In a 4-2-3-1 he is not really suited to any of the attacking spots, off a striker he would slow the game down too much and his finishing is poor, and a wider role is a non starter. A 4-3-3 is basically committing to building around Pogba and his attacking contribution, 2 midfielders to babysit him and he as the main creative force. Even in that role, against good teams, he can not avoid defensive responsibility. It might be the role that gets the most out of him, but does it fit what the team need, difficult balancing act.

Just needs to grow up, France have the same problem with him, finding a role for him that does not compromise other areas. Too talented to not try though.
I think you do have to go back to the best moment of his career, which was in a floating attacking role off the left. Back then he looked someone who could score a lot of goals; his shooting from outside the box was very high quality.

I dunno, it does feel like fitting him in is a bit of a headache, which hardly speaks well of him. Would be tough to dispute that his most effective performance in recent memory was at Everton off the left where he seemed to find the balance.

Unread 03-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
I think you do have to go back to the best moment of his career, which was in a floating attacking role off the left. Back then he looked someone who could score a lot of goals; his shooting from outside the box was very high quality.

I dunno, it does feel like fitting him in is a bit of a headache, which hardly speaks well of him. Would be tough to dispute that his most effective performance in recent memory was at Everton off the left where he seemed to find the balance.

Bought on a Gif

Unread 03-04-2018, 05:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Bought on a Gif
Knew you were going to post that

He banged like that almost weekly for a while.

Unread 03-04-2018, 05:20 PM
RemisMoses

Quote:

He was sublime against Everton but they were heartless. Everything starts with a base of hard work Pogba seems to have forgotten that or maybe he’s never had to do it before. I love watching the boy I really think a lot of him but if he doesn’t want to work when we haven’t got the ball he can sod off. Talent and dedication you need both to be at the top.
Closed Thread