United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:23 PM
Hands of Scone

Quote:
Originally Posted by messhead
No I'm saying that there are some players of real quality who do not necessarily display "passion" and "enthusiasm" as clearly as other players. But way to misunderstand my point, it must take some effort to be so wilfully thick. I don't think our squad has improved massively from three years ago (Lindelof is coming good but our midfield, full backs and that damn right wing position needs some serious work done).

To be honest I think martial is an easy scapegoat because of the aforementioned lack of outward passion that seems to offend so many people. Reality is we arent that good a team and if you think martial is the biggest problem I feel bad for you son.
An unenthusiastic player is a waste of a shirt. Nobody is suggesting he needs to get all stuart pearce on us just running about a bit would be a start.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:23 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Sterling has been levels ahead of Martial for as long as I can remember tbh. Be objective about it.
I don't think he has been tbh. Have said it before but if you put martial in that City team he scores just as many if not more than Sterling. Up until a year or two ago every time I saw sterling play involved him holding on to the ball for far too long and running into trouble. Since guardiolas second season he's become a more complete and consistent player.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:24 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
An unenthusiastic player is a waste of a shirt. Nobody is suggesting he needs to get all stuart pearce on us just running about a bit would be a start.
This ffs

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:36 PM
guerreiro

Quote:
No I'm saying that there are some players of real quality who do not necessarily display "passion" and "enthusiasm" as clearly as other players. But way to misunderstand my point, it must take some effort to be so wilfully thick. I don't think our squad has improved massively from three years ago (Lindelof is coming good but our midfield, full backs and that damn right wing position needs some serious work done).

To be honest I think martial is an easy scapegoat because of the aforementioned lack of outward passion that seems to offend so many people. Reality is we arent that good a team and if you think martial is the biggest problem I feel bad for you son.
Don’t try and condescend me flower. Not sure how you conflate Martial being a bit crap to him being the biggest problem, or why I’m bothering to reply to your inane drivel tbh.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:37 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
That passive nature he has in his play holds him back so much
He has great attributes but far too easy to defend against when he’s like tonight

Ole should show him a video compilation of Mane’s performances and show him what is clearly missing in his game
If he doesn’t know by now, he’s either too thick to ever know, or too disinterested to do anything about it.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:38 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
Don’t try and condescend me flower. Not sure how you conflate Martial being a bit crap to him being the biggest problem, or why I’m bothering to reply to your inane drivel tbh.
Because I touched a nerve.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Willing to put good money on him being a beast for us by the time he's 25.
And then he’ll £#%&! off, like Ronaldo did.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:42 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Scone
Fair enough, just seems to me some people jump the gun far too quickly when it comes to him. He hasn't been playing regularly since ole came in has he? And as I recall his effort wasn't being called into question when he went on that wonderful run and lit up what was arguably our darkest period post-Ferguson. Give him a run of games under the new manager without any injuries and then we can call him out if he's still doing it game in game out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
And then he’ll £#%&! off, like Ronaldo did.
Well if we can win the CL before he £#%&!s off like Ronaldo then I won't be too unhappy. Would be nice to win one of the big ones again.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Sterling was just as inconsistent up until a year or so ago? All this talk of effort doesn't wash with me, some players aren't about the "Pashun" but you'd still want them on your team. The biggest, and no doubt a lazy example of this would be Messi. @#%&! strolls about the pitch every single game, even in the knockouts of big tournaments and yet we know what he can do.
Messi can go from strolling about to a quick burst into space in the blink of an eye. He’s always waiting for an attacking opportunity, ready to pounce. He shows his passion and enthusiasm. Martial just waits for it to feet.

He’ll be predictable and easy to play against until he adds runs into space behind the defender into his game. Something we’ve been saying for 3 years. At this point it looks like he never will.

The time to make a final judgement on martial is next season after Christmas, because if working with ole and our coaches for that length of time doesn’t improve his game it will never happen at united.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:48 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Messi can go from strolling about to a quick burst into space in the blink of an eye. He’s always waiting for an attacking opportunity, ready to pounce. He shows his passion and enthusiasm. Martial just waits for it to feet.

He’ll be predictable and easy to play against until he adds runs into space behind the defender into his game. Something we’ve been saying for 3 years. At this point it looks like he never will.
Well I did say the Messi example was a lazy one If anyone will get the best out of Martial it will be Ole; as an attacker himself he'll spot these things and more, let's hope that Martial listens.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:50 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Well I did say the Messi example was a lazy one If anyone will get the best out of Martial it will be Ole; as an attacker himself he'll spot these things and more, let's hope that Martial listens.
I agree. Just edited my previous post to say the time to judge martial is next season.

Unread 17-03-2019, 12:54 PM
AK14

Quote:
Yep, can’t argue with that.

He has the talent to be one of the best players in the league.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:24 PM
utd99

I’m not sure there’s a limit to the amount of excuses people will make for their preferred players; what does he have to do to warrant criticism, sit down?

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Sparky***

It’s alright for Martial to drift out of games and contribute nothing because Lionel Messi walks about sometimes? Am I reading that correctly?

Holy Christ.

Unread 17-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m not sure there’s a limit to the amount of excuses people will make for their preferred players; what does he have to do to warrant criticism, sit down?
Ridiculous isn't it?

I like Martial. I think he's class and he's the most entertaining player to watch in the squad.

We should be building our attack round him, Pogba and Rashford.

I also acknowledge that he can be lazy, his off the ball running is really poor and he needs more facets to his game when things aren't going his way.

He was shite last night. Utter shite.

Unread 17-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Tiberian

With Martial you have to question his desire for self improvement. At some point self awareness has to come into it, and looking around at his peers. Are guys like Sane/Mane/Sterling more talented ball players than Martial? No, but they are more active, vary their runs, keep the full backs guessing.

Martial with Lingard's energy and work rate is up there with Hazard.

Unread 17-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
With Martial you have to question his desire for self improvement. At some point self awareness has to come into it, and looking around at his peers. Are guys like Sane/Mane/Sterling more talented ball players than Martial? No, but they are more active, vary their runs, keep the full backs guessing.

Martial with Lingard's energy and work rate is up there with Hazard.
Yup.

Unread 17-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Sparky***

Part of the problem is that most of our players are under no pressure whatsoever for their places. None.

They’re all absolutely comfortable knowing there’s £#%&! all nobody to oust them from their starting position.

Unread 17-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Buck

Apparently that lad Foden has more goals than Lingard....he's only played about 20 minutes

Unread 17-03-2019, 02:48 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It’s alright for Martial to drift out of games and contribute nothing because Lionel Messi walks about sometimes? Am I reading that correctly?

Holy Christ.
Imagine taking that from what I said.
Closed Thread