United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:08 AM
redhegemony

Default ETH - Game Management

What was really impressive yesterday was how he switched tactics mid second half by flooding the centre of midfield and giving Bruno and Eriksen more space to hit Arsenal on the counter.

Be interesting to see how he approaches the team and the formation for Thursday.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:15 AM
armchair

Honestly think it was more bad management by Arteta. Very immature choices.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:18 AM
dunk

Thought he had them managing the game on Thursday really well, yesterday was a bit more loose imo. But bringing Fred on was a top move. Shows how lacking we are in competent attacking options that we ended up with only 1 recognised forward on the pitch. If we’d had another couple of options to freshen it from the bench we might’ve scored 5 or 6..

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:22 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Thought he had them managing the game on Thursday really well, yesterday was a bit more loose imo. But bringing Fred on was a top move. Shows how lacking we are in competent attacking options that we ended up with only 1 recognised forward on the pitch. If we’d had another couple of options to freshen it from the bench we might’ve scored 5 or 6..
We have a half ready Antony and a not fit Anthony - and according to ETH Ronaldo is not fully fit.

A long term injury would be a problem.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Honestly think it was more bad management by Arteta. Very immature choices.
The third goal yes. Second goal was made before the subs changes. Fred came on and they didn’t have a sniff.

The best way I could describe it is the only time I can remember them actually attacking was martinellis header and the bit where saka dragged it wide and Arsenal wanted a penalty because he fell on malacia

We were in control, yes Arsenal were on the front foot for large periods of the game, but it wasn’t a case of “ they will score in the next 5 mins”

They are the team in form in the league too. It’s a bigger result than you think.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Wayne Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yeah I think Fred and The Scottish Player are decent options off the bench to close a game out.

We need to see more from VdB in terms of offering a further attacking option in midfield, but we badly need another forward to take the burden off the current lot, and provide us with another outlet.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:50 AM
Dr Stranger

We’ve seen our four wins out really well.

One of our biggest failings in recent years has been how £#%&!ing dumb we are at key moments.

We’ve added a real cynicism and cuteness in recent weeks. We run the clock down, slow the tempo and we’ve game managed really well. Different types of games and opponents too.

It’s the side of our game that has surprised me the most. I expected him to have style, but he’s a good ‘match play’ manager too.

Unread 05-09-2022, 10:54 AM
Mr_Ed

and he writes things down on a pad rather sitting in the stands staring gormlessly at a screen.

Unread 05-09-2022, 11:20 AM
Switching Off

Actually thought he left it a bit late, we were crying out for support in midfield before they equalised. Proper tutted when they did

Love him anyway obvs.

Unread 05-09-2022, 11:26 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Actually thought he left it a bit late, we were crying out for support in midfield before they equalised. Proper tutted when they did

Love him anyway obvs.
Same. We were under the cosh from the moment the 2nd half started and desperately needed more bodies in midfield.

No arguments whatsoever though - an absolute blissful match.

United Arsenal encounters were my favourites in the 90’s too. Proper matches with loads riding on them but not the devastation associated with losing to city or the rats.

Yesterday felt like one of them again.

Unread 05-09-2022, 11:57 AM
jem

I suppose it is natural, but results do seem to colour views on selections and tactics. we got away with it yesterday; it was no masterclass by the new bosh.

Unread 05-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I suppose it is natural, but results do seem to colour views on selections and tactics. we got away with it yesterday; it was no masterclass by the new bosh.
Got away with it - 3-1 against the unbeaten league leaders...

Unread 05-09-2022, 12:00 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
You’re right. The real masterclass would have been to resign Valencia and stick him in CM instead of Eriksen

Unread 05-09-2022, 12:11 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
really?

Unread 05-09-2022, 12:21 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Not having that.

Our tactic was we’re fine to let them play because our defence is (suddenly) exceptional but we know they’re weak at the back and tactically naive (because they play such a high line) so we’ll pick them off on the counter. That’s why Rashford started over Ronaldo. The fact that Arteta then committed suicide with some of the worst subs made in premiership history was a unexpected bonus.

Both Ten Hag and a few of the players confirmed that was our game plan.

And it worked almost perfectly.

Not sure we got away with anything.

Unread 05-09-2022, 01:46 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
You’re right. The real masterclass would have been to resign Valencia and stick him in CM instead of Eriksen
you don't have to try to seem ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Not having that.

Our tactic was we’re fine to let them play because our defence is (suddenly) exceptional but we know they’re weak at the back and tactically naive (because they play such a high line) so we’ll pick them off on the counter. That’s why Rashford started over Ronaldo. The fact that Arteta then committed suicide with some of the worst subs made in premiership history was a unexpected bonus.

Both Ten Hag and a few of the players confirmed that was our game plan.

And it worked almost perfectly.

Not sure we got away with anything.
yes, I understand the tactics (particularly playing rashford). however, I don't think the actual game rested on our brilliant (or desperate) defence so much as arsenal not being at all clinical.

Unread 05-09-2022, 01:58 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Jenkins
We need to see more from VdB .

Unread 05-09-2022, 06:03 PM
ragnorak

spoke to arsenal supporting mate today and he said it felt like the old days when we would let them play and then pick them off

i have to say it felt like that to me, was not often worried when they were attacking as our defence was solid. de gea made what, 2 or 3 proper saves? that mouth breathing drool addled menace saying we were getting ripped apart, arsenal looked much more ordinary in attack than previous motd highlights made me think
Closed Thread