United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 27-04-2020, 09:43 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Appreciate you trying to put together a scale, can't be easy. I think it's safe to say Fred West can sleep soundly tonight knowing he hasn't posted a bellers.
Fred west when he opened the thread:

Unread 28-04-2020, 10:36 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Let Ronaldo off for some games when his dad died.

Telling OGS that hed have a big part to play in 98/99 as a sub.

There's loads. Log off ffs
There’s a comprehensive article on that match that says the contrary.

From Oles point of view Fergie told Teddy at half time If it was still 1-0 with 25-30 to go he’d be coming on. Ole who’d scored about 18 that seasons v Teddys 4 (rough figures) was pissed off.

Unread 28-04-2020, 10:38 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

From Oles point of view Fergie told Teddy at half time If it was still 1-0 with 25-30 to go he’d be coming on. Ole who’d scored about 18 that seasons v Teddys 4 (rough figures) was pissed off.
Very interesting......

Unread 28-04-2020, 10:44 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Very interesting......
Think he made it up for that match for effect.

Apparently SAF did have form for telling the dressing room settle down, if were still behind I’ll bring Ole on (paraphrased obviously) though at half time in games. Stays on here.

Unread 28-04-2020, 11:39 AM
dragflick

Quote:

Yeah I’m sure he was gutted after the match tbf.

Unread 28-04-2020, 11:57 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
The main reason that side didn’t win another European Cup in that period was because of the defence

Irwin was past his best and Silvestre his replacement was possibly the worst player Fergie signed who racked up over 200 appearances for us
Then you have the complete cluster f*** of the goalkeeping situation post Schmeichel

Not signing a top class CB meant Stam was practically holding the defence together on his own with a revolving cast of CBs partnering depending on who was fit

We could have done with another dribbling wide player as we only had Giggs to provide the match changing quality but the defence was the major factor that cost us
I think the last point is particularly important. Other than Giggs we had no one who could beat players, especially in central areas.

After 98/99 that famed quarter never dominated anyone and looked second best when we came up against quality opposition like Madrid and Bayern. To the extent where it even looked like they were bottling big games - Madrid away in 03 comes to mind, Van Nistelrooy aside.

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Stickman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yeah I’m sure he was gutted after the match tbf.
Good one mate.

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:07 PM
Norris Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
I think the last point is particularly important. Other than Giggs we had no one who could beat players, especially in central areas.

After 98/99 that famed quarter never dominated anyone and looked second best when we came up against quality opposition like Madrid and Bayern. To the extent where it even looked like they were bottling big games - Madrid away in 03 comes to mind, Van Nistelrooy aside.
Madrid 00 was a joke though. We were the better side in the Bernabau and got caught out by an own goal from nothing at home. Downhill from there...but Keane was like a man possessed that night, I’d never seen him have such an unlucky 90 minutes. Seething!

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle

Madrid in 00 we were unlucky.

We missed so many good chances to equalise at 1-0 and Ivan Campo or Karanka saved Andy Coles header with both hands on the goal line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Cole
Madrid 00 was a joke though. We were the better side in the Bernabau and got caught out by an own goal from nothing at home. Downhill from there...but Keane was like a man possessed that night, I’d never seen him have such an unlucky 90 minutes. Seething!
Not sure about being the better side away, sure Bosnich was MOTM.

Cole missed a point blank header though I’m sure he put over a relatively empty net.

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:29 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Good one mate.

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:38 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

The article on the match contradicts the assertion that Ferguson persuaded OGS to stay at the start of that season after Spurs had had a bid accepted?

Bizarre.

Unread 28-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Stickman

Quote:

Ole was allegedly “pissed off” at half time when he heard Sheringham was getting the nod ahead of him based on a conversation he heard between Teddy and SAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
The article on the match contradicts the assertion that Ferguson persuaded OGS to stay at the start of that season after Spurs had had a bid accepted?

Bizarre.
I misread your post

Unread 28-04-2020, 02:01 PM
poppy

Denis Law’s backheel goal didn’t send us down is actually the myth.

It did.

Unread 28-04-2020, 02:05 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Ole was allegedly “pissed off” at half time when he heard Sheringham was getting the nod ahead of him based on a conversation he heard between Teddy and SAF.

I misread your post
Easily done pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Denis Law’s backheel goal didn’t send us down is actually the myth.

It did.

Unread 28-04-2020, 02:15 PM
dragflick

Maine Road had a 3-inch thick £#%&!pile carpeted tv gantry..

Unread 28-04-2020, 02:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:

Unread 28-04-2020, 02:39 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:

Poppy’s gantry chat

Unread 28-04-2020, 03:32 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith

Poppy’s gantry chat
Thought it was welly?

Unread 28-04-2020, 03:49 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Thought it was welly?