United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-10-2023, 12:39 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Even if the club were to sack him, it can’t be done until Ratcliffe has the new DOF in place. Hiring a manager without understanding the recruitment aspect will be pointless. Suspect Ratcliffe knows this.

The question really is what do we lose/gain by removal. Realistically can we come top 5? If so, then perhaps the tipping point comes soon as we move out of contention. If not, stick and hold until new way forward is identified.

City, Arsenal, Liverpool will not be caught. Tottenham & Newcastle debatable.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:01 PM
ZiggyStardust

He was a bit more revealing in his interview with Dutch media after the match

So he’s not even trying to get us to play like his Ajax
Then what’s the point of him being here as we appointed him because of his work at Ajax and wanted him to bring that here but he’s not even trying to do that

He’s really starting to lose me here

Quote:
We will never play the football we played at Ajax here,' he told ViaPlay after the defeat. 'I now have other players, that's not why I came here.'

'The player material you have determines how you will play. That's why we play here in a different way than I did at Ajax. That will have to be the case, because I can't play the same way here.

'That is not in the DNA of Manchester United at all. The football at Ajax is very typical, here we will play much more directly. We also have the players for that, especially at the forefront.'

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:02 PM
marlo

Quote:
Ten Hag is contradicting himself in front of 75,000 attendants and millions more tuning in weekly. It is well beyond the point where his half-time changes were decisive adjustments. Now they are desperate attempts at atonement.

Sofyan Amrabat started against City by default, with Casemiro still injured. Amrabat lasted only 45 minutes against Copenhagen on Tuesday and he did not re-emerge for the second half again against City.

Some at United foresaw this. One senior figure was dismissive of Morocco's World Cup performances and emphasised minnows tend to overperform at major tournaments with their focus reinforced amid the pride of representing their nation. For some, there is also the possibility of a post-tournament transfer. The one player Ten Hag recommended that United vetoed in his first summer was Hakim Ziyech, Amrabat's Morocco teammate.
how myopic is this man. Ziyech ffs.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:03 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

LVG already tried that and got bounced out. I doubt he was appointed to recreate the Ajax style here.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:04 PM
marlo

Quote:
Two of United's most expensive additions in successive summers - Antony and Mason Mount - have been at the cost of an obscene £146.3million. As Sir Jim Ratcliffe would say, dumb money.

Antony was a disgrace in the derby; needlessly truculent and fortunate to avoid expulsion during his cameo. The referee would have done United a favour depriving them of the one-paced and one-dimensional winger for three matches.

Mount emerged at half-time; a logical entrant to energise the midfield. Only United got worse. In the last month, two colleagues sat in front of this correspondent in the press box have asked: "What does Mason Mount do?" A supporter asked similarly yesterday. We still do not know.

United cut corners with Mount, into the last year of his contract at Chelsea. In a summer they required a dynamic midfielder, they invested £60m in someone who is not a midfielder.
It would be ridiculous to give him more money to spend

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:05 PM
believe

Tbf we’re doing a pretty decent job at replicating Ajax this season.

ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
LVG already tried that and got bounced out. I doubt he was appointed to recreate the Ajax style here.
So what’s the point of appointing him then
I assume the club like us fans saw the football and results his Ajax team produced and wanted him to bring that here

Instead he seems to want a more sophisticated Oleball style of play

Ethers

Who says we appointed him to make us play exactly the same as Ajax? That’s nonsense.

Iirc there was a lengthy recruitment process, part of which was he had to present his vision to the board, or whoever was in charge of making the decision. Presumably he would have mentioned this kind of thing at that point.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:06 PM
marlo

Quote:
What you see is what you get with Hojlund. He is performing as expected of a 20-year-old with a mediocre goalscoring record in Denmark, Austria and Italy. He should not be leading the line for United at such a raw age.

Hojlund is as much of a waste of money as Mount and Antony imo.

We can’t afford to be taking a punt on a 20 year old.

Especially given our limited budget.

Anthony , Mount and Hojlund is 210m and we are no better for it.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:06 PM
Bunker Buster

He wasn't employed to recreate Ajax 2.0 FFS

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:07 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Who says we appointed him to make us play exactly the same as Ajax? That’s nonsense.

Iirc there was a lengthy recruitment process, part of which was he had to present his vision to the board, or whoever was in charge of making the decision. Presumably he would have mentioned this kind of thing at that point.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...eadmore-target

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:07 PM
NedKelly

Pretty sure he’s saying the players are too shit to play how his Ajax team did.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
£#%&! sacking him. At some point these goons running our club have to stand by their convictions and see a job through.

it's like getting rid of your builders halfway through building your house because the roof isn't on yet whilst they're still laying concrete at the foundations.

At some point we're going to have to give someone 4 years to sort this mess out. There isn't another manager or coach out there who will come in and fix any of this mess in the timeframe that is apparently acceptable to modern football standards.

But if you insist , go on, sack him and go and get some gimp like Potter or everyone's latest pin up De Zerbi and drop them in with all this shit to deal with
  • Greenwood Suspension
  • Antony in trouble
  • uncertainty about ownership
  • Sancho situation
  • Ronaldo debacle
  • Players on enormous wages who think they're above being managed
  • Numerous last ditch loan signings that no other manager has to put up with
  • people above you are all new to the job and haven't a clue what they're doing

Add to that powder keg of circumstances the most scrutinised club in the country with the most expectations and watch them £#%&!ing melt in the hot seat after 6 months. Every other week one of your highly paid moron players steps out of line and you get grilled about it every week in pressers, you try and instil some discipline and standards and get met with petulance and apathy.

Yeah go on drop some untested herbert into all this and watch it swallow them up.
Unread 30-10-2023, 01:10 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
Cba scrolling through all the pop ups and shite, what were the 2 reasons?

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:15 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
He wasn't employed to recreate Ajax 2.0 FFS
Then why did he sign 3 of his former players at Ajax if he’s not trying to recreate his Ajax team
Surely you’d sign different players to suit a new style of play

Why sign a keeper like Onana if you’re not trying to create a possession style of play

Doesn’t make sense to me

Explains to me why we look like a team without a footballing identity

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:19 PM
believe

Surely the way Ajax played was his style of play so why wouldn’t he implement that here? I’m fact it would be pretty £#%&!ing worrying if he wasn’t trying to copy what he did at Ajax

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:21 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Cba scrolling through all the pop ups and shite, what were the 2 reasons?
Lacks charisma and language barrier!

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:22 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Surely the way Ajax played was his style of play so why wouldn’t he implement that here? I’m fact it would be pretty £#%&!ing worrying if he wasn’t trying to copy what he did at Ajax
Because Ajax historically have a certain style of play, from U11'S upwards for the last three decades, he did put his own stamp on it with more expansive press, but he wasn't employed to replicate that here...

We don't have the players or the style historically created through the youth systems....

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:22 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
They/Them are reaching the bottom of the excuses barrel.

Unread 30-10-2023, 01:28 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
They/Them are reaching the bottom of the excuses barrel.
Closed Thread