United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 20-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantic Lisp
Looks like the BBC website is keen on and Liverpool for that matter - always the banner pic or a nice pen pic of Brent's shit-eating grin/face/head; always a positive spin...

Who knew the BBC were LSC
If the BBC website ever scores a goal for them, then we should be worried. Until then, who cares?

Unread 20-03-2015, 06:20 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Still obsessed with the BBC website I see

There's a whole world wide web out there pal

private companies can be as biased as they like as long as they keep within ofcom guidelines

the BBC is supposed to be neutral, hence they are and should be subject to greater scrutiny

Unread 20-03-2015, 06:29 PM
Grimson

Quote:

private companies can be as biased as they like as long as they keep within ofcom guidelines

the BBC is supposed to be neutral, hence they are and should be subject to greater scrutiny
Bet you anything actual scrutiny would show no demonstrable, long-term bias in favour of Liverpool or anyone else.

Unread 20-03-2015, 06:35 PM
eusker

Quote:

I think that applies to politics rather than football.

Unread 20-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Still obsessed with the BBC website I see

There's a whole world wide web out there pal

how come throb's rep is showing, but none of his posts can be repped?

Unread 20-03-2015, 07:04 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth

how come throb's rep is showing, but none of his posts can be repped?
That is throb?

Unread 20-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Bet you anything actual scrutiny would show no demonstrable, long-term bias in favour of Liverpool or anyone else.
I imagine that's right, that's my point. As this exchange demonstrates, most people don't care (at least for the purposes of their replies here) which is why the BBC know they aren't currently subject to scrutiny. However, use of pictures is a give away in the media, often betraying their slant. Rhetoric is very hard to quantify, also. Bias may not necessarily be for something in particular anyway, of course. It can also be against something else.

Obviously, "it was no more than Liverpool deserved" has passed some of you lot by completely, too. State of our £#%&!ing support :shakehead:

Unread 20-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Denis Irwell

Being as objective as you might, it's still hard to believe with the amount of ex players of theirs on Sky, BBC or anywhere else in the media, that there is no bias in their favour and of course, if they choose to replay incidents and discuss or even dismiss incidents in their favour, consistently, it can have an effect with authorities coming under their scrutiny.

Unread 20-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Denis Irwell

Fred doesn't do new threads pal

Unread 20-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Being as objective as you might, it's still hard to believe with the amount of ex players of theirs on Sky, BBC or anywhere else in the media, that there is no bias in their favour and of course, if they choose to replay incidents and discuss or even dismiss incidents in their favour, consistently, it can have an effect with authorities coming under their scrutiny.
There is a grain of truth to this; it's just that it makes almost no difference.

I would guess that weather conditions or bumps on the pitch have influenced more results over the years than media bias.

Unread 20-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Semantic Lisp

Quote:
There is a grain of truth to this; it's just that it makes almost no difference.

I would guess that weather conditions or bumps on the pitch have influenced more results over the years than media bias.
try telling the media that, we might get better quality sports reporting

Unread 20-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Grimson

Quote:
try telling the media that, we might get better quality sports reporting
No chance of that, they've got it too good. Some of them get treated like royalty at matches. I wonder if the post-match buffet is the source of bias sometimes.

Unread 20-03-2015, 08:05 PM
TheFatGoth

The BBC sites reporting has been going down hill for a while now. A lot of click bait style headlines creeping in and an absolute obsession with Twitter.

Unread 20-03-2015, 09:27 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

The fact that theyve been given more penalties than ant other team in premiership history and we are well behind in terms of penalties given, I find a bit strange when the success/lack of, would suggest the opposite should be the case, assuming the more successful team spends more time in the opposite penalty area. Christ Grimmers, if sheer wishful thinking could win titles, they'd've pissed it last season the way the media were going on. Contrast that to the funeral-like reaction that greets a United goal. You're not telling me it wasn't media pressure that got Rio an unprecedented ban allowing Arsenal in for the title and that's the tip of the iceberg. I know every fan believes they don't get a crack of the whip but come on...

Unread 20-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
The BBC sites reporting has been going down hill for a while now. A lot of click bait style headlines creeping in and an absolute obsession with Twitter.
Yup got to try and be sensationalist to keep up with Sky. Just ask Cliff Richard

Unread 20-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
The fact that theyve been given more penalties than ant other team in premiership history and we are well behind in terms of penalties given, I find a bit strange when the success/lack of, would suggest the opposite should be the case, assuming the more successful team spends more time in the opposite penalty area. Christ Grimmers, if sheer wishful thinking could win titles, they'd've pissed it last season the way the media were going on. Contrast that to the funeral-like reaction that greets a United goal. You're not telling me it wasn't media pressure that got Rio an unprecedented ban allowing Arsenal in for the title and that's the tip of the iceberg. I know every fan believes they don't get a crack of the whip but come on...
We were 8 penalties behind them after 20 years, coming into this season. That's less than half a penalty per season, basically a statistical difference of zero. Newcastle had more than Arsenal or Chelsea, too.

With the Rio ban, United can have no complaints - Rio handed the press a huge, unprecedented story. Of course they overreacted and ran with it. Look what they do when a nothing player like Balotelli gets a parking fine. It's in their interest to overhype everything.

If they were only interested in persecuting United, why do Liverpool fans think they ran Suarez out of the country? They are trying to sell papers. The bigger clubs are what drives that.

United does get more criticism than most, because two decades of success makes for a boring narrative. It's the same reason Tyler loses his nut when Burnley score a goal against us. What kind of narrative is he supposed to spin from us beating them? It's what everyone expects, and almost nobody wants.

Unread 20-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I imagine that's right, that's my point. As this exchange demonstrates, most people don't care (at least for the purposes of their replies here) which is why the BBC know they aren't currently subject to scrutiny. However, use of pictures is a give away in the media, often betraying their slant. Rhetoric is very hard to quantify, also. Bias may not necessarily be for something in particular anyway, of course. It can also be against something else.

Obviously, "it was no more than Liverpool deserved" has passed some of you lot by completely, too. State of our £#%&!ing support :shakehead:
Can you please £#%&! off again?

Quote:
We were 8 penalties behind them after 20 years, coming into this season. That's less than half a penalty per season, basically a statistical difference of zero. Newcastle had more than Arsenal or Chelsea, too.

With the Rio ban, United can have no complaints - Rio handed the press a huge, unprecedented story. Of course they overreacted and ran with it. Look what they do when a nothing player like Balotelli gets a parking fine. It's in their interest to overhype everything.

If they were only interested in persecuting United, why do Liverpool fans think they ran Suarez out of the country? They are trying to sell papers. The bigger clubs are what drives that.

United does get more criticism than most, because two decades of success makes for a boring narrative. It's the same reason Tyler loses his nut when Burnley score a goal against us. What kind of narrative is he supposed to spin from us beating them? It's what everyone expects, and almost nobody wants.
If you want to see the 'tyler' phenomenon in a nutshell, go back and watch Arsenal 3-2 Manchester United from November 1997. Listen to the utter glee with which Tyler greets arsenal's first 2 goals. Listen to it. Anelka scored a half decent shot which beat Schmeichel at his near post for the first, i thought big Pete should have done better - to listen to Tyler you'd think we'd seen another Diego Maradona vs England 1986 goal. "WHAT. A. GOAL." He shrieks. Really? A basic pot shot from 18 yards out and bad goalkeeping? What a goal?

Then there's the 2nd goal from Vieira. "ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!" He screams whilst presumably pleasuring himself with a rolled up copy of the matchday programme.

Contrast that with the morbid, dour way he treats Sheringham's brace in the same half. Like he's reading out his wife's shopping list.

Listen and tell me if I'm imagining it.

Unread 20-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Szekely

Quote:

this guy knows.

look at the reaction to city's nailed on penalty in the last minute that they were refused against Burnley. shown, everyone agrees it should have been a pen and we move on. No inquest, no hype.....because the story we hoped would unfold, then one that underlines the magic of the premier league, was the one that occurred.

now if it was Burnley who were denied in that fashion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Can you please £#%&! off again?

If you want to see the 'tyler' phenomenon in a nutshell, go back and watch Arsenal 3-2 Manchester United from November 1997. Listen to the utter glee with which Tyler greets arsenal's first 2 goals. Listen to it. Anelka scored a half decent shot which beat Schmeichel at his near post for the first, i thought big Pete should have done better - to listen to Tyler you'd think we'd seen another Diego Maradona vs England 1986 goal. "WHAT. A. GOAL." He shrieks. Really? A basic pot shot from 18 yards out and bad goalkeeping? What a goal?

Then there's the 2nd goal from Vieira. "ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!" He screams whilst presumably pleasuring himself with a rolled up copy of the matchday programme.

Contrast that with the morbid, dour way he treats Sheringham's brace in the same half. Like he's reading out his wife's shopping list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvmoe9Y43MQ
You're not, no.

arsenal beating the champions is the story though.

he's equally squealed over some of our goals. It's a wonderful run from GIGGS! .... Bruce! yes! yes for Manchester United! etc. that was the story then though.

In short, he's a #@&%!.

Unread 20-03-2015, 10:40 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvmoe9Y43MQ
You're not imagining it; I just think a lot of people are wrong when they imagine why he does it.

United losing is a better story - for now at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szekely
In short, he's a #@&%!.
That sums it up nicely.

Unread 20-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Szekely

his reaction to sheringham's second is actually pretty funny. just as good a strike as any of the arsenal goals. A comeback in five minutes. New United signing. ex spurs player....

pauses as the ball hits the net.

"he's got another one"

factual as £#%&!
Closed Thread