United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Should Manchester United look to sell Paul Pogba this Summer?
Yes 86 88.66%
No 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 11-08-2021, 10:49 AM
united8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yay. once or twice a season.

not even the same number of times he gives the ball away in our half in one game, then.
Agree, sadly, sell for what we can this summer otherwise release him next summer.

Unread 11-08-2021, 10:52 AM
Spock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
True. I like the lad and he’s clearly got all the talent in the World, I’ve just finally accepted that he’s never going to be the player he should be, the player we need, and he’s tied up with a mercenary £#%&!er who has no interest in United.

Unread 11-08-2021, 10:53 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
The rest is just noise and conjecture drummed up by fans and the gossip media. If he ends up leaving on a free then he will be treated accordingly, but until then, it's all speculation, and contrary to his actual behaviour, attitude, and feelings from those that work with him daily. I find it strange that he's labelled as a trouble-making problem child, when the evidence is the opposite. Wonder if the treatment he receives would be the same if he wasn't a confident black lad who likes a dance and puts himself out there on social media.
I'm willing to accept that your continued support of Pogba isn't a wum, but surely you cannot seriously believe any of that.

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:20 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Treating the club like what though? Isn't he just doing the standard practice of negotiating his contract?
Taking the club's pants down in public. Saying (through Raiola) is unhappy and wants to leave, that he can't express himself, etc, and turning down the offer of a new contract (I guess not for the first time). Basically, acting in a way that will only benefit himself, not the club that has trained him and spent a world record transfer fee bringing 'home'. I get that he's free to do what he wants and wants to make himself as much money as possible, but at the end of the day that's also a sign of pure greed and lacks any respect to MUFC, his fellow players - who he will also influence - and us, the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
If he ends up leaving on a free then he will be treated accordingly:
That's seemingly what he's angling for though, we can all see it. Turn down
the reportedly 100k a week contract extension and walk away for free next summer. Do we really need a circus hanging over our heads for the next 12 months??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Wonder if the treatment he receives would be the same if he wasn't a confident black lad who likes a dance and puts himself out there on social media. :koppas
WTF?

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:30 AM
tatty

I don’t get this idea that players should be expected to sign new contracts rather than let them expire and negotiate a free.

Doesn’t change the fact he’s been an appalling signing.

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
I don’t get this idea that players should be expected to sign new contracts rather than let them expire and negotiate a free.

Reckon it will only get more common with the mental transfer fees. Surprised more of them don't sign shorter term contracts tbh. But guess it is a guarantee of money over a longer period.

Let's hope he doesn't sign a new contract BTW.

We will spend this season trying to accommodate him into the team again, despite him not being a good fit anywhere in our system.

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Taking the club's pants down in public. Saying (through Raiola) is unhappy and wants to leave, that he can't express himself, etc, and turning down the offer of a new contract (I guess not for the first time). Basically, acting in a way that will only benefit himself, not the club that has trained him and spent a world record transfer fee bringing 'home'. I get that he's free to do what he wants and wants to make himself as much money as possible, but at the end of the day that's also a sign of pure greed and lacks any respect to MUFC, his fellow players - who he will also influence - and us, the fans.
I kinda get that, and he clearly hasn't delivered what we wanted when we signed him, but I just find it too simplistic to completely blame the player. Have we had a single player in the last half a decade who has consistently performed brilliantly? Bruno probably comes closest, and even he's had his critics.

I just think Pogba gets too much credit for being some sort of Machiavellian strategist. He's a bit of a simpleton IMO, a man-child who just gets easily manipulated by his agent, who, in turn, is simply doing his job of not letting a club have complete control over a player's affairs.

Quote:
That's seemingly what he's angling for though, we can all see it. Turn down the reportedly 100k a week contract extension and walk away for free next summer. Do we really need a circus hanging over our heads for the next 12 months??
It is what it is, though, and this is just standard process for a big player in a contract negotiation, especially when it's likely to be the most important contract of their career. The flip side is that he hasn't actually thrown his toys out of the pram, hasn't refused to show up, hasn't demanded a transfer. In fact, he's been the consummate professional, which is something that has been backed up by his manager and colleagues.

Even when he was benched by Mourinho I can't remember him causing any problems, or being particularly outspoken. This prima-donna tag he gets is not accurate IMO.

Quote:
WTF?
My point is, that he's an easy target because of the persona he has. He's brash and confident, so his personality is magnified, as is the 'controversy' that surrounds him. Reality is, that the controversy is largely smoke with little fire. Yes, he may end up leaving on a free, but he may also sign a contract extension because he loves it at United.

Hard to criticise him on trying to maximise his salary either when he's seen what's happened with the likes of Sanchez and De Gea in recent years, and with Raiola in his corner, they'll fight for the best deal possible.

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty

No, I guess the idea that a player, having been sold in a world record transfer fee at the time in which his Jabba the hut agent pockets a massive fee and the player himself secures amongst the highest wages in world football provides the club, who have invested such a colossal amount, with some security for that investment - especially given how poor the return has been..

Fanciful behaviour when you’re dealing with people of such poor integrity like Messi and Pogba etc.

Unread 11-08-2021, 11:47 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Treating the club like what though? Isn't he just doing the standard practice of negotiating his contract?

By all accounts, from his managers at club and international level, his teammates, and his coaches, he's a model pro with a great attitude who is universally liked. The pre-season evidence also shows him training, working hard, smiling. As I've mentioned before, imagine the reaction if he did anything like what Kane has done!

The rest is just noise and conjecture drummed up by fans and the gossip media. If he ends up leaving on a free then he will be treated accordingly, but until then, it's all speculation, and contrary to his actual behaviour, attitude, and feelings from those that work with him daily. I find it strange that he's labelled as a trouble-making problem child, when the evidence is the opposite. Wonder if the treatment he receives would be the same if he wasn't a confident black lad who likes a dance and puts himself out there on social media.
It's very simple. He receives the treatment he does because he behaves like an £85m player but doesn't play like one.

Unread 11-08-2021, 03:03 PM
jem

sign or don't sign. dance or don't dance. I don't care.

run your %@#$&!s off, track your man and don't give the ball away being a slug or trying stupid tricks in our half. otherwise, £#%&! off.

Unread 11-08-2021, 03:14 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
It's very simple. He receives the treatment he does because he behaves like an £85m player but doesn't play like one.
This is the thing, signing these mercenaries has never worked for us, Kanchelskis is the last one who was any good. If you don't want to play for utd, then don't, bribing these £#%&!s to wear the shirt is obscene and an insult to the fans and our heritage. I rather we just play in the utd way with everyone wanting to be here and giving it their all.

Unread 11-08-2021, 04:03 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
This is the thing, signing these mercenaries has never worked for us, Kanchelskis is the last one who was any good. If you don't want to play for utd, then don't, bribing these £#%&!s to wear the shirt is obscene and an insult to the fans and our heritage. I rather we just play in the utd way with everyone wanting to be here and giving it their all.
I don't have a problem with players not being fans, just being here for a while, etc., if they get the job done.

I'd suggest the last one that worked was Tevez though.

Unread 11-08-2021, 04:08 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
sign or don't sign. dance or don't dance. I don't care.

run your %@#$&!s off, track your man and don't give the ball away being a slug or trying stupid tricks in our half. otherwise, £#%&! off.
Yeah what jem said

Unread 11-08-2021, 04:21 PM
Bunker Buster

Should be Boo'd every game....

Unread 11-08-2021, 04:29 PM
BarryX

I get where you're coming from in the most part, Neo, but there comes a point when you need to show respect to your club, its management, your team mates and the fans. I've always wanted Pogba to succeed and keep thinking 'this will be his season'. But the noise coming from his representative suggesting that he wanted out and now seemingly intent on running out his contract is bad form. Maybe good on a personal finance level and for those of the people around him, but thats what represents a lot of what is bad about the world in general, along with the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
My point is, that he's an easy target because of the persona he has.
Thought you were saying it was about the colour of his skin, which it has absolutely nothing to do with (not from me, at least, and I seriously doubt from the vast majority of decent Fredsters).

Would love to see him turn it all around, of course, put in the season of his life, be part of this great new young Utd Ole's building, help us win a couple of major trophies, sign on the dotted line and repeat. Kinda think I'm asking for too much though...

Unread 11-08-2021, 04:40 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
I don't have a problem with players not being fans, just being here for a while, etc., if they get the job done.

I'd suggest the last one that worked was Tevez though.
I'd forgot he even played for us how many games did he play? I don't mind lads like him who just turn up and do their best, but these social media cretins, with their agents, having to be bribed to play and then not doing much of anything are pitiful. I'd rather see us line up with the U23s and see how it goes.

Think Ole is finding characters who genuinely want to play for utd and win stuff, so hopefully things will improve.

Unread 11-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Red_Rizla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
I'd forgot he even played for us how many games did he play? I don't mind lads like him who just turn up and do their best, but these social media cretins, with their agents, having to be bribed to play and then not doing much of anything are pitiful. I'd rather see us line up with the U23s and see how it goes.

Think Ole is finding characters who genuinely want to play for utd and win stuff, so hopefully things will improve.
I agree that Ole is trying to build a squad of players/characters who want to play for us and will give their all. This is as much ‘the United way’ as attacking intent and graft. I disagree with your U23 comment though in much the same way as those who used to say they would rather we were relegated as long as we did not play dull football - some of whom have now changed their agenda to OLE MUST GO COS WE HAVE NO SILVERWARE!

We are playing better football. We scored over 100 goals last season and our defensive record was good. We got rid of some of the dross and have recruited well. We finished 2nd and got to the final of the EL. We drew too many games, our home record once again was puzzling. We did not lose away from home. We have now signed Sancho and Varane. I like the way things are going.

Unread 11-08-2021, 05:41 PM
Whip Hubley

Cool

Red Rizla showing a few of the forum stalwarts up with his views imo.

Unread 11-08-2021, 05:57 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Rizla
I agree that Ole is trying to build a squad of players/characters who want to play for us and will give their all. This is as much ‘the United way’ as attacking intent and graft. I disagree with your U23 comment though in much the same way as those who used to say they would rather we were relegated as long as we did not play dull football - some of whom have now changed their agenda to OLE MUST GO COS WE HAVE NO SILVERWARE!

We are playing better football. We scored over 100 goals last season and our defensive record was good. We got rid of some of the dross and have recruited well. We finished 2nd and got to the final of the EL. We drew too many games, our home record once again was puzzling. We did not lose away from home. We have now signed Sancho and Varane. I like the way things are going.
The under 23s comment was a bit throw away. I also like the way it's going and when Ole has cleaned out the people who aren't bothered about playing for utd we'll be there or there abouts. He's had a lot to do, between the club structure and what he inherited in the playing staff, but it looks like he's on with it. I wonder how much time fergle is involved, assume it's quite a lot.

Unread 11-08-2021, 06:24 PM
JamesPolk

As I have said previously about Pogba if he wants be here he needs to sack that sorry asshole of an agent he has, however if doesn't want to be at United then United should have got him gone yesterday.
Closed Thread