out 17 17.35%
in 81 82.65%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:44 AM
MagnificentSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
I think bigger concern is that he’s going to f*** up our chances of winning the league by January and end up in the Europa again, not that we’re top of the league after 4 games tbf.
let's just wait and see. we've just signed someone widely regarded to be the greatest footballer of all time, and added him to our strongest squad in years. it's hard to say if we'll win the league but i wouldn't be surprised if we were closer than people think.

tuesday was a truly dreadful result, no taking away from that, but two individual moments of stupidity were what ultimately cost us the game, and that was something ole couldn't have done much to prevent, even with his choice of subs. it's hardly uncommon for teams that go down to 10 men to lose games, and the defeat didn't see us knocked out of europe.

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:45 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Think you missed the part about the attacking players..

And the point I was making (experience being an excuse).
You didn't mention anything about attacking players

You're point about experience is valid, I agree with Dunk to an extent that it can certainly help, but it isn't essential. But you also included points about Leicesters squad depth and resources, comparing them to us. It's a ridiculous comparison to make because it was an absolute freak.

Top thread this though, all hell has broken loose because we lost a game with 10 men

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:49 AM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
They were up against City, another team who hadn’t won it.

Again, it was never close. I feel like you’re being deliberately obtuse. Unless you’re suggesting we should be 10 points clear by Christmas and anything less is a failure?
I’m just giving examples of experience not being important. If it is that important.. we have Cristiano Ronaldo and Raphael Varane that have won a bit.

Dias didn’t have experience of winning the Premier league, Van Dijk didn’t. Both were instrumental in winning it. I think we can put this excuse on the shelf.

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Telles was far from a waste of money. Provided genuine competition for Shaw who, miraculously, upped his game. Obviously we've not seen as much of him as we'd have liked but I think he'll have a big role to play this season. I think he's been very good when he's been fit and what was he, 15m?

Far from a waste of money.
Agree to disagree.

The 50m gassed on him and VDB should have been put towards a midfielder.

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:53 AM
Coracao

He's not really got an excuse not to mount a title challenge this season.

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:55 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
Think that's the scenario when we should be having this debate (worst case), not now, so early into his third full season.
Judging by the poll, that is the view of the big majority. Ole's work has been good so far, we'll see this season if he has topped out or whether he can produce the goods by way of improvement in the league and ECL, not necessarily winning either but seriously challenging.

ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You didn't mention anything about attacking players

You're point about experience is valid, I agree with Dunk to an extent that it can certainly help, but it isn't essential. But you also included points about Leicesters squad depth and resources, comparing them to us. It's a ridiculous comparison to make because it was an absolute freak.

Top thread this though, all hell has broken loose because we lost a game with 10 men
If you read the thread..

And I agree.

If ever there was a time to start a riot.. it’s after losing to a team called young boys. What a time to separate those that have seen enough of this shit and those that are full of excuses. What a way to separate the doers and the yeah but’ers.

atticusgrinch

I probably wouldn't actually sack him RIGHT NOW. I would have never appointed him full time.

RiGHT NOW! I would source the best and most progressive coach in world football and let him pick the rest of the coaches, and tell Ole he can keep one of his comfort blankets from Carrick, shorts etc. and sack the rest.

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:56 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What a load of shit you’ve listed half a billion pounds worth of transfers then say if he’d been backed when he wanted

Love this new stance of how he’ll be leaving us in such a good position too. Nobody likes the keeper and the back up options are useless. We definitely need an upgrade at right back, we’ve no midfield, even more so once Pogba leaves and we’ve got two forwards we’re relying on at the end of their careers. One who can’t seem to stay fit for more than a month

I imagine protests against the owners aren’t too far round the corner.
So he got everyone he wanted last season did he? He got a top class defensive midfielder and had cover for Rashford etc up front? Right - so where were these players last season when Rashford was flogged to death because we had no reliable or capable wingers/forwards of taking his place? Who was the top class defensive midfielder he was alright to buy or even bid for? Your absolute delusion that he ISN'T drip fed signings is what's bullshit, pal.

And I never mentioned about what state he'd leave us in, just that this team/squad is the best since SAF. Or is that not true either? The football is terrible, he hasn't done well to finish second against managers who've won the PL and league's across Europe? The same people that cream themselves on Saturday then come out to say how awful EVERYTHING is, when it isn't.

I have said that there has to be more progress this season but we've again dropped the baton by not getting a top class defensive midfielder in. Or was that Ole's choice do you reckon?

Unread 17-09-2021, 11:59 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
So he got everyone he wanted last season did he? He got a top class defensive midfielder and had cover for Rashford etc up front? Right - so where were these players last season when Rashford was flogged to death because we had no reliable or capable wingers/forwards of taking his place? Who was the top class defensive midfielder he was alright to buy or even bid for? Your absolute delusion that he ISN'T drip fed signings is what's bullshit, pal.

And I never mentioned about what state he'd leave us in, just that this team/squad is the best since SAF. Or is that not true either? The football is terrible, he hasn't done well to finish second against managers who've won the PL and league's across Europe? The same people that cream themselves on Saturday then come out to say how awful EVERYTHING is, when it isn't.

I have said that there has to be more progress this season but we've again dropped the baton by not getting a top class defensive midfielder in. Or was that Ole's choice do you reckon?
Do you think Ole wanted Sancho?

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:04 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Do you think Ole wanted Sancho?
Yes - last season.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:05 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
He's not really got an excuse not to mount a title challenge this season.
I'm sure plenty will be made if he doesn't though. By a lesser and lesser number of fredsters as each one clocks onto reality.

The same as happened with Moyes, just over a much longer period.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:07 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
I'm sure plenty will be made if he doesn't though. By a lesser and lesser number of fredsters as each one clocks onto reality.

The same as happened with Moyes, just over a much longer period.
No excuses can be made for not challenging imo. But we've massively £#%&!ed up by not getting a defensive midfielder in.

And how can you compare this team and the football to Moyes ffs?

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:20 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Yes - last season.

Was he too polite to tell Woodward he didn't want him anymore?

Quote:
No excuses can be made for not challenging imo. But we've massively £#%&!ed up by not getting a defensive midfielder in.

And how can you compare this team and the football to Moyes ffs?
It was a comparison of the reaction to the manager, but yeah, Moyes was a clueless bluffer in way out of his depth.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:24 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
If you read the thread..
I did, still have no idea what your reference to Leicester winning the League has to do with attacking players

Quote:
If ever there was a time to start a riot.. it’s after losing to a team called young boys. What a time to separate those that have seen enough of this shit and those that are full of excuses. What a way to separate the doers and the yeah but’ers.
What the £#%&! are you on about

We're only a month into the season and currently top of the league as it stands, and we exceeded expectations last season finishing second and reaching a final. We've also been able to strenghen the squad again this season. We should've won the Europa League, and really we shouldn't have been knocked out of the Champions League to even be able to get to the final, and we should've signed a midfielder. But describing our current circumstances as "...this shit..." because we lost a game with 10 men is a tad overdramatic.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:26 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

Was he too polite to tell Woodward he didn't want him anymore?

It was a comparison of the reaction to the manager, but yeah, Moyes was a clueless bluffer in way out of his depth.
No idea what you're on about with Sancho. But....

Ole finished second and has brought back quality football with a very talented team. He's been building from the aftermath of 3 horrendous managers, who did their best to ruin United.

Moyes played robotic football, was given a title winning side which he dismantled, along with the coaching staff, and proceeded to make every match day a nightmare of pure embarrassment and despair.

I don't feel any of that watching this United. Ole might be out of his depth, but he's done well to do what he has. It's baffling that some can't give him ANY credit whatsoever

Quote:
I did, still have no idea what your reference to Leicester winning the League has to do with attacking players

We're only a month into the season and currently top of the league as it stands, and we exceeded expectations last season finishing second and reaching a final. We've also been able to strenghen the squad again this season. We should've won the Europa League, and really we shouldn't have been knocked out of the Champions League to even be able to get to the final, and we should've signed a midfielder. But describing our current circumstances as "...this shit..." because we lost a game with 10 men is a tad overdramatic.
Spot on.

It's absolutely nuts.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:37 PM
dunk

Quote:

It’s going to be like this forever until he wins a league/CL, and then it will be thanks to Ronaldo despite Ole. It’s £#%&!ing boring. Every hiccup piles and piles of hysterical drivel from the usual suspects. Based on the standards apparently expected we should be changing manager 3 times a season.

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Medlock

Love how everyone on here is a tactical genius.
You should listen to yourselves

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:46 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
No idea what you're on about with Sancho. But....

Ole finished second and has brought back quality football with a very talented team. He's been building from the aftermath of 3 horrendous managers, who did their best to ruin United.

Moyes played robotic football, was given a title winning side which he dismantled, along with the coaching staff, and proceeded to make every match day a nightmare of pure embarrassment and despair.

I don't feel any of that watching this United. Ole might be out of his depth, but he's done well to do what he has. It's baffling that some can't give him ANY credit whatsoever

Spot on.

It's absolutely nuts.
What i'm going on about is your complaint that Ole hasn't been provided with a DM. He has been provided with a £75m winger that, in my opinion, given the level Greenwood is playing at, we don't actually need.

What i'm suggesting is that Ole wanted that £75m winger, and he prioritised that over getting a DM.

He could have said to Woodward, before the transfer window opened

"Hi Mr. Woodward, it's me.... Ole... O-L-E

Anyway, You know that i wanted Sancho last summer? Well i don't need him so much now, because I see Mason every day, and he's £#%&!ing amazing.

So rather than spending most of the transfer budget on Sancho, maybe we should look at getting a really good defensive midfielder instead? Because buying a player because we were trying to buy him a year ago would be £#%&!ing stupid wouldn't it?

Cheers Mr. Woodward. Bye"

Unread 17-09-2021, 12:53 PM
dunk

Sancho was available, and we need more than one option in each position, the DM they want, Rice, wasn’t available. The midfielder they wanted that was available chose Madrid.

The decision not to buy ‘for the sake of it’ is pretty clear, it’s option 1 or wait, or find another option 1, which takes time. We’re not exactly inundated with top quality defensive midfield playmakers in the European game at present. Signing players that ‘can do a job’ is the reason we’re in the predicament we are currently in.
Closed Thread