United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Cream

Default Is Jesse Lingard finally evolving into a star?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...tar-mkhitaryan

Jury still out according to JJ.

Quote:
The forward has overcome several false starts to shine but he needs to deliver over an extended period or risk going the way of Mkhitaryan
Off to Arsenal.

Some pearlers in this thread btw.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=Jesse

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
https://www.theguardian.com/football...tar-mkhitaryan

Jury still out according to JJ.

Off to Arsenal.

He's right. This could well be a purple patch.

His game does look to have evolved and if he continues in this way then he will be a better player than I ever thought he could be.

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:33 PM
Tiberian

Utd found the right role for him. Playing through the middle, off a striker, allows him to showcase his strengths, movement, energy, how direct he can be running with the ball, his tidy technique.

If Utd move to a 3 man midfield to allow Pogba greater freedom then that role will vanish, would have to perform from wide, not as good in that set up for me.

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:41 PM
utd99

No

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:41 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
No
Still not having It, no?

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
[url]

Some of the 'pearlers' in that thread will be locked into their positions now ,incapable of revising their opinion and recgonising that Linguard is a very good player.

Big thumbs up for Linguard from me BTW

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:44 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Still not having It, no?
Not yet. Form is not class.

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:45 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
As if by magic

Unread 09-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
What would be your cut off where form becomes genuine development?

Unread 09-02-2018, 07:02 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Needs to do it across a season. Same for Martial, Shaw etc. Football is so manic depressive these days, someone only has to play well for a fortnight and people switch them from being not good enough to having a great season.

Lingard needs to keep this going and then aim to get 15-20 goals next season.

Unread 09-02-2018, 07:12 PM
utd99

Quote:
There is no cast iron cut off point, it’s more of a feeling. I guess in a round about way it’s when you expect good things rather than are surprised by them.

Every academy product who’s been given a run in the team over the years has had good runs of form here or there. Welbeck had a few, Gibson had one, Richardson and so on. None of those ended up being good enough, and based on the larger part of his United career so far, I expect Lingard to go the same way. That said, I hope I’m wrong. I care more about United’s fortunes than I do about being right, but this run of form needs to add a bit of longevity to it before I change my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Needs to do it across a season. Same for Martial, Shaw etc. Football is so manic depressive these days, someone only has to play well for a fortnight and people switch them from being not good enough to having a great season.

Agreed. It’s not just us either, it’s across the whole league. We live in two week snapshots.

Unread 09-02-2018, 07:17 PM
red in cumbria

Jamie J kiss of death again?

Unread 09-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Clarkie

Quote:

Postage

Unread 09-02-2018, 11:54 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:

He's on 12 for the season now and made 5 assists

He'll get 15 + this season and if he gets the games will do again next season of this i;m pretty sure

The thread asked the question 'is he evolving' of which the answer is yes

Unread 09-02-2018, 11:55 PM
Kangared

Quote:

Spot on

Unread 10-02-2018, 03:26 AM
Luffy

he’s good at scoring crackers but smashing the ball at goal is actually quite easy.

But he typically screws up open goals, one on ones, passing and crossing opportunities, anything that requires focus, concentration or decision making generally goes wrong ie breaking through a stubborn defence.

Great players find answers to difficult questions and I think our team in general right now gets stuck quite easily.

Unread 10-02-2018, 03:54 AM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
he’s good at scoring crackers but smashing the ball at goal is actually quite easy.

But he typically screws up open goals, one on ones, passing and crossing opportunities, anything that requires focus, concentration or decision making generally goes wrong ie breaking through a stubborn defence.

Great players find answers to difficult questions and I think our team in general right now gets stuck quite easily.

Yeah legging it from your own half ,smashing volleys and scoring winners in an FA Cup Final is a piece of piss

Worth a watch before your next post .This is a £#%&!ing joy

https://youtu.be/Rdyab3Zz_k0?t=27

Unread 10-02-2018, 04:46 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
He's on 12 for the season now and made 5 assists

He'll get 15 + this season and if he gets the games will do again next season of this i;m pretty sure

The thread asked the question 'is he evolving' of which the answer is yes
Too right and the way he's going, into something quite special

Unread 10-02-2018, 06:05 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

Unread 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM
20 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Yeah legging it from your own half ,smashing volleys and scoring winners in an FA Cup Final is a piece of piss

Worth a watch before your next post .This is a £#%&!ing joy

https://youtu.be/Rdyab3Zz_k0?t=27
Enjoyed that video. A couple of goof headers in there too
Closed Thread