United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mull
But this is only our third defeat of the season and I would not be surprised if it is our last
I admire your optimism.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:13 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Who's your 3 up front?
Anyone.
But.
Lukaku.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:15 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I admire your optimism.
Thanks Riccers x

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:15 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Yes we got beat, and well in the end, but we responded well to the utter f***up at the start, with a bit of luck, maybe we would have snaffled an equaliser, but alas we couldn't and got stuffed, we deserved SFA.
But this is only our third defeat of the season and I would not be surprised if it is our last

UTFR.
4th.

UTFR.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:16 AM
AK14

Quote:
Yes we got beat, and well in the end, but we responded well to the utter £#%&!up at the start, with a bit of luck, maybe we would have snaffled an equaliser, but alas we couldn't and got stuffed, we deserved SFA.

UTFR.
4th defeat I think?

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:18 AM
armchair

pogba can play leftside of a three, martial can play left in a three up front - both were played out of position

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:30 AM
Sparky***

We had more than enough men in midfield, it's just that Pogba doesn't feel it's his job to do anything that he feels is beneath him. Like track runners, tackle, stay within 15 yards of his midfield partner, or generally pay any attention to how the game's going.

He plays like a self indulgent £#%&!ing child and the only good thing Mourinho did tonight was haul the @#%&! off in shame to let him know that Manchester United doesn't revolve around him.

Just because you're being asked to do things that maybe aren't your forte doesn't mean you can just £#%&! them off and decide to go walkabout and leave a chasm in the middle of the park. Absolutely unforgivable for even youngsters let alone a 90m pound player.

If we want to play 3 in the middle and let Pogba go walkies then a start would be getting another 2 central midfielders. Because Carrick is finished, Herrera isn't really that good and Mctommyknocker isn't really that good either. That leaves Matic.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:34 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Best solution is probably to £#%&! Lukaku off and have Martial or Rashford through the middle tbh.
Midfield issues notwithstanding, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:37 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Who's your 3 up front?
Lashing out after tonight I might even be tempted to slot Sanchez into the No. 9 role

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:38 AM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Lashing out after tonight I might even be tempted to slot Sanchez into the No. 9 role
How many big games has that £#%&!ing lump of shite wearing No.9 played for us to absolutely ZERO positive effect?

Good lord above.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:41 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
4th defeat I think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
4th.

UTFR.
Pollogees xx

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:47 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
We had more than enough men in midfield, it's just that Pogba doesn't feel it's his job to do anything that he feels is beneath him. Like track runners, tackle, stay within 15 yards of his midfield partner, or generally pay any attention to how the game's going.

He plays like a self indulgent £#%&!ing child and the only good thing Mourinho did tonight was haul the @#%&! off in shame to let him know that Manchester United doesn't revolve around him.

Just because you're being asked to do things that maybe aren't your forte doesn't mean you can just £#%&! them off and decide to go walkabout and leave a chasm in the middle of the park. Absolutely unforgivable for even youngsters let alone a 90m pound player.

Hmmmm. It does make you wonder if within the next couple of days the press will be covering a huge bust up between Mourinho and Pogba. The bad feeling between them was there for all to see tonight.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:47 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If we had 3 midfielders we could try it..
Quote:
Who's your 3 up front?
*sigh*

pogba should have a free role. so that only leaves room for sanchez and martial up front.

midfield three must be workers. valencia, matic and one other, preferably a hard bastard. carrick, if fit. tfm, if even at united. not fellaini. should have bought romeu.

Quote:
We had more than enough men in midfield, it's just that Pogba doesn't feel it's his job to do anything that he feels is beneath him.
he's not a defensive midfielder and he needs a free role. if we actually had a proper midfield, it wouldn't matter if sanchez and pogba didn't track back.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:54 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
*sigh*

pogba should have a free role. so that only leaves room for sanchez and martial up front.

midfield three must be workers. valencia, matic and one other, preferably a hard bastard. carrick, if fit. tfm, if even at united. not fellaini. should have bought romeu.

he's not a defensive midfielder and he needs a free role. if we actually had a proper midfield, it wouldn't matter if sanchez and pogba didn't track back.
Valencia isn't a right back
Young isn't a left back
Martial isn't a wide attacking player

yet somehow they all get on with their jobs and don't decide to just vacate their positions on a whim.

No, pogba isn't a 'defensive' midfielder but sometimes you have to reign yourself in and do a job for the team when you're under pressure.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:56 AM
jem

Quote:
Valencia isn't a right back
Young isn't a left back
Martial isn't a wide attacking player

yet somehow they all get on with their jobs and don't decide to just vacate their positions on a whim.

No, pogba isn't a 'defensive' midfielder but sometimes you have to reign yourself in and do a job for the team when you're under pressure.
yes, but we could play valencia on the right of midfield and young on the left, martial could play up front and pogba could have his free role. why are they all doing the wrong job?

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
yes, but we could play valencia on the right of midfield and young on the left, martial could play up front and pogba could have his free role. why are they all doing the wrong job?
Dunno mate. We're a big £#%&!ing mess.

Unread 01-02-2018, 12:57 AM
Tiberian

If Pogba was a reliable goalscorer Mourinho might commit to a 3 man midfield(which really isn't a 3 man midfield, it is 2 and Pogba roaming) He is not though, never exceeded 10 goals in a season, not a great finisher, unlikely to give you the production that a Lampard or Gerrard could with that freedom.

I hoped from the start that Pogba would not end up our Gerrard, in terms of being a constant positional question. Not as good as Gerrard yet, especially in big games, as irritating as that is to admit.

Unread 01-02-2018, 02:04 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentSeven
proof was in the pudding after the win at everton.

can lingard play as a cm?
Well he’s a big strong lad so it might work.

Unread 01-02-2018, 09:01 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
If Pogba was a reliable goalscorer Mourinho might commit to a 3 man midfield(which really isn't a 3 man midfield, it is 2 and Pogba roaming) He is not though, never exceeded 10 goals in a season, not a great finisher, unlikely to give you the production that a Lampard or Gerrard could with that freedom.

I hoped from the start that Pogba would not end up our Gerrard, in terms of being a constant positional question. Not as good as Gerrard yet, especially in big games, as irritating as that is to admit.
It's not massively unusual though, to be a midfielder who needs that freedom. The position Pogba played off the left at Juve was similar to the one Zidane often played. Pogba himself must know (unlike Gerrard) that running the game from deep isn't really his thing.

Mourinho clearly thought Pogba and Matic would overpower teams. That hasn't really worked out, but as a pragmatist I'd have thought he will change it. He's been known to throw out his plans and tear it all up if it isn't going as expected. Shouldn't be a problem.

Unread 01-02-2018, 09:13 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's not massively unusual though, to be a midfielder who needs that freedom. The position Pogba played off the left at Juve was similar to the one Zidane often played. Pogba himself must know (unlike Gerrard) that running the game from deep isn't really his thing.

Mourinho clearly thought Pogba and Matic would overpower teams. That hasn't really worked out, but as a pragmatist I'd have thought he will change it. He's been known to throw out his plans and tear it all up if it isn't going as expected. Shouldn't be a problem.
His 'tearing if up' seems to consist of bringing on Fellaini.

The troubling part is us getting overrun by in midfield isn't really a surprise. If we play any decent team with a combative 3 Man Midfield, we're in trouble.

The number of times spurs walked through our midfield last night was alarming and unsurprising.
Closed Thread