United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Love United, Hate Glazer

Unread 23-01-2010, 11:58 AM
red @rmy

Default Today's Fergie programme notes

The full text from today's programme:-

"One for all, and all for one... its a terrible cliche, but nevertheless it does sum up one of the essentials for success in team sport.

The family of Manchester United is under pressure as a result of all the issues and controversies surrounding the ownership and financial situation of the club that have been stirred up in the media.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to express disapproval if the don't like what they see around them. Just as it has always been the right of the fans to let it be known if they are not happy with the way their team are playing.

I'm not slow to express disapproval myself if something I don't agree with - even in the boardroom with the directors. But once I walk out of the meeting I get on with my job as manager of the team.

Some of our fans are clearly unhappy with the financial position, but we mustn't allow the situation to become divisive. The danger, as I see it, is that we could be presented as being split, which would be harmful and inaccurate because I believe the vast majority of United fans are behind us and appreciate the importance of standing together in support of the team.

I could see our opponents rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of watching us fall out among ourselves if we don't all think carefully about what we are doing.

We must not lose our focus - which, from where I stand, is about building a strong football team that will win trophies. That's what we are about, or at least should be.

We must remain loyal to the cause of Manchester United. The staff and players should be quite one-eyed about that, and stay true to the history of the club and all the work done by Sir Matt Busby and the other managers who have contributed to creating the great club we have at Old Trafford today.

This is not about stifling criticism; it's simply a plea to stand together rather than take action that will damage ourselves more than anyone else.

Manchester United is bigger than me, the players, the directors, officials and the fans. And particularly at this critical stage of our season, we need to pull in the same direction.

It would be a shame to lose our concentration now because I can really see light at the end of the tunnel as we ready ourselves to push for the championship."

Unread 23-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Mr_Ed

Yeah - winning the title this season will make everything all right... :shakehead:

Unread 23-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by red @rmy
The full text from today's programme:-

"One for all, and all for one... its a terrible cliche, but nevertheless it does sum up one of the essentials for success in team sport.

The family of Manchester United is under pressure as a result of all the issues and controversies surrounding the ownership and financial situation of the club that have been stirred up in the media.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to express disapproval if the don't like what they see around them. Just as it has always been the right of the fans to let it be known if they are not happy with the way their team are playing.

I'm not slow to express disapproval myself if something I don't agree with - even in the boardroom with the directors. But once I walk out of the meeting I get on with my job as manager of the team.

Some of our fans are clearly unhappy with the financial position, but we mustn't allow the situation to become divisive. The danger, as I see it, is that we could be presented as being split, which would be harmful and inaccurate because I believe the vast majority of United fans are behind us and appreciate the importance of standing together in support of the team.

I could see our opponents rubbing their hands with glee at the thought of watching us fall out among ourselves if we don't all think carefully about what we are doing.

We must not lose our focus - which, from where I stand, is about building a strong football team that will win trophies. That's what we are about, or at least should be.

We must remain loyal to the cause of Manchester United. The staff and players should be quite one-eyed about that, and stay true to the history of the club and all the work done by Sir Matt Busby and the other managers who have contributed to creating the great club we have at Old Trafford today.

This is not about stifling criticism; it's simply a plea to stand together rather than take action that will damage ourselves more than anyone else.

Manchester United is bigger than me, the players, the directors, officials and the fans. And particularly at this critical stage of our season, we need to pull in the same direction.

It would be a shame to lose our concentration now because I can really see light at the end of the tunnel as we ready ourselves to push for the championship."
dont agree with that bit fergs

Unread 23-01-2010, 12:23 PM
42ndstreet irregular

He's been saying this type of shit for nearly 5 years now. People who think he is going to resign or even say a bad word against the Glazers. It is good that the staff appear to be letting their discontent known and the players seem to be supporting this if the Carrington thing is to go by. Fergie will be the last though I reckon. He says he doesn't want our support to be split £#%&! me Alex you help cause it with the shit you come out with. Again these notes could cause more arguments amongst reds. :shakehead:

He really is the football Tony Wilson. What he has done for Manchester and United is something that no one shall ever or should ever forget and he will go down (if he isn't already) as the greatest ever manager. However just like Tony Wilson everytime he opens his mouth I dread what will come of it.

It'll be interesting if the ground does have a lot of green and gold, whether he will criticise those fans. He'll probably tell them to go and support Norwich or something.

Unread 23-01-2010, 12:39 PM
believe

Thumbs up

there's nothing more divisive than telling your own fans to £#%&! off and watch chelsea.

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:03 PM
waynes ear's

if i could use my monitor to wipe my arse, i £#%&!ing would

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:21 PM
PaulParkers

Not much of that, that I dont agree with tbh.

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Zorg

"stirred up in the media."

Jesus £#%&!ing Christ.

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:28 PM
hopkins

nobody is bigger than the club that we love so much, which is why we feel so passionately about the issue, and talk of standing together to push for the £#%&!ing league is kind of missing the point

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:31 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndstreet irregular
He's been saying this type of shit for nearly 5 years now. People who think he is going to resign or even say a bad word against the Glazers. It is good that the staff appear to be letting their discontent known and the players seem to be supporting this if the Carrington thing is to go by. Fergie will be the last though I reckon. He says he doesn't want our support to be split £#%&! me Alex you help cause it with the shit you come out with. Again these notes could cause more arguments amongst reds. :shakehead:

He really is the football Tony Wilson. What he has done for Manchester and United is something that no one shall ever or should ever forget and he will go down (if he isn't already) as the greatest ever manager. However just like Tony Wilson everytime he opens his mouth I dread what will come of it.

It'll be interesting if the ground does have a lot of green and gold, whether he will criticise those fans. He'll probably tell them to go and support Norwich or something.

tbf honest if SAFO came out and said I hope the Glazers all die a slow painful death and so do all their descendants and eeveryone who walked away can get a free season ticket to come back and the Charlatans are the best band ever.....you'd stiill have a pop

Unread 23-01-2010, 01:52 PM
elephantstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
there's nothing more divisive than telling your own fans to £#%&! off and watch chelsea.
some deserve to

Unread 23-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Kwik

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...880102,00.html

Sir Alex Ferguson has called for unity around Manchester United after revelations of their financial worries sparked disharmony.

as part of the prospectus issued with the bond, it was revealed that options to raise cash include the sale of United's Carrington training base and their Old Trafford ground.

That has been enough to mobilise the anti-Glazer minority within the club's fan base.

Unread 23-01-2010, 05:33 PM
stax

So basically Fergie thinks we should just accept that, in five years, our club has been turned from a debt-free, cash rich one, to one wallowing in hundreds of millions of pounds of debt. And all this to line the pockets of an American businessman with no previous interest in football let alone Utd.

Ok Fergie. Let's carry on as normal.

Unread 23-01-2010, 05:34 PM
LaPaz

The fact the club thought it had to use Ferguson's program notes (Fergie doesn't write them himself) to try & tackle the anti Glazer campaign is a victory.

The number of times anti Glazer chants were sung today should have left them in no doubt about the fans feelings.

Unread 23-01-2010, 05:45 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPaz
The fact the club thought it had to use Ferguson's program notes (Fergie doesn't write them himself) to try & tackle the anti Glazer campaign is a victory.

The number of times anti Glazer chants were sung today should have left them in no doubt about the fans feelings.
long may it continue

Unread 23-01-2010, 06:17 PM
LaPaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
long may it continue
There were certainly lots more today than at any time during the last 5 years & from all parts of the ground, impressive even for an old cynic like me.

Unread 23-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Zorg

No idea who wrote this but I found it quoted somewhere. Sums it up for me.

Quote:
That is one of the most craven pieces of propaganda I've seen in a long time.

As I read it I found myself wondering at what point Sir Matt Busby and/or Munich would be brought into it, and sure enough he turned up. The Greeks taught us that rhetoric has three distinct parts- ethos (the character of the speaker), logos (the logic or reason behind the arguments) and pathos (an appeal to the emotions). Read that piece again with that in mind.

When faced with a distinct lack of credibility (for both the board and himself) or common sense arguments, all that is left is to appeal to the emotions; to invoke the ghost of Busby and all he stood for in this context is laughable and contemptible in equal measure.

Unread 23-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

and suddenly everyone wants to read the match programme

Unread 23-01-2010, 07:43 PM
eddie_red

They just mentioned it on SSN.

Quote:
The Glazers have brought much success to Old Trafford...

Unread 23-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_red
They just mentioned it on SSN.
I remember when we signed those three with uncle malc on a bosman. everyone said fergie were mad to sign three balding unfit american business men in their 40's and an octogeniariun. But christ they won us some trophies.

They really turned this club around .