United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Neo

Football What Signings Do We Need to Make?

Regardless of who the manager will be, or the Director of Football, I think we need 4 new signings in the summer, with central midfield being the priority.

Centre-back - an experienced leader and organiser, who can marshal the entire defence. Looks like Lindelof could be a player, but he needs a partner, and ideally one who can command. Rojo and Smalling definitely need to be £#%&!ed off, along with potentially Jones. Jury is still out on Bailly, and we also need to promote youth, such as Tuanzebe.
Defensive midfielder - a young alternative to Matic, who can be rotated with the Serb, who will be 31 in August. This is a problem area, as when Matic is out, the only real alternatives are Pereira and Fellaini, both of whom need to be out the door in the summer.
Central midfielder - a conductor who can set and control the tempo of our play, and dictate games. Whilst Matic can screen the defence, and Pogba has the freedom to attack, we really need a central midfielder who can knit the play, and is very comfortable on the ball. Herrera is nowhere near good enough, and needs upgrading, and Fred hasn't looked the right fit at all.
Right-side attacker - a quick, highly-technical right-sided attacker that can give us natural width, balance and goals. This is the least important, IMO, as potentially one of Alexis or Rashford can nail down this spot, but if nobody can then we need a signing, as the alternative is that dancing #@&%! Lingard. Mata needs to be moved on.

Mourinho failed horrendously in addressing the defence, despite having a lot of money to spend, so hopefully we can learn from that and emulate how successful Liverpool have been with the Van Dijk signing.

Central midfield was the main problem for a long time during Ferguson's last few years, and there is a risk that if we don't invest smartly, the problem will return. Two high quality additions needed, and we should be looking to build that midfield around Pogba, who is easily the most talented player at the club.

Aside from the signings, there needs to be deadwood shifted, which is a recurring theme at the club. Grant, Darmian, Rojo, Smalling, Fellaini, Pereira and Mata all need their P45s, then there are big question marks around Valencia, Young, Jones and Herrera. That's 11 players that are nowhere near good enough, and we're wondering why we've failed in recent years. Obviously we can't get rid of everyone of these shit@#%&!s, but there needs to be a significant t#@&%! of the fat.

Just my two cents.

Unread 05-01-2019, 06:37 PM
dunk

In addition to the above we need to £#%&! Lukaku and Alexis off and get a couple of useful forwards, definitely someone for the right. Need someone as an alternative to Pogba as well.

Could do with a couple of full backs too.

Unread 05-01-2019, 06:39 PM
MagnificentSeven

probably bullshit, but i've read we've been linked with manolas from roma.

if that's actually true then . an experienced, world class, older head at cb. exactly what we need.

Unread 05-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
In addition to the above we need to £#%&! Lukaku and Alexis off and get a couple of useful forwards, definitely someone for the right. Need someone as an alternative to Pogba as well.

Could do with a couple of full backs too.
Not sure if he's always been like this but he was terrible when receiving the ball today. And trying to move with it. Can't argue with his goals ratio but I'd hoped for an improvement with the new manager. I don't remember him being this bad last season

Unread 05-01-2019, 07:33 PM
S/Side.Red

Wouldn't be surprised if one of the big clubs had a go at Doucoure this month. It's definitely an area we could do with someone asap.

Unread 05-01-2019, 07:35 PM
ScarFace

right-back !!!

centre-back !!!

i can deal with the rest but the above are needed as much as new owners

Unread 05-01-2019, 07:57 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Wouldn't be surprised if one of the big clubs had a go at Doucoure this month. It's definitely an area we could do with someone asap.
PSG sniffing aren't they? He looks a good 'un

Unread 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
ziggyman17

Just as important is tying down De Gea and Martial to new contracts..........

Unread 05-01-2019, 08:47 PM
AK14

Can’t see us doing anything this month tbh

Would be great if we get shot of Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Valencia, Young, Fellaini in the next few windows

Sign a couple of centre backs (depending whether or not Tuanzabe comes good), right back, left back, DM, Striker, RW.

Back four needs sorting first before anything though. The likes of Jones, Rojo and Smalling shouldn’t be starting every week for Manchester United (Lindelof and Bailey are still young and time to hopefully grow).

Would be great if the likes of Gomes, Chong, Garner, Greenwood etc break into the first team squad but there’s obviously no guarantee.

Unread 05-01-2019, 10:41 PM
Buck

Spurs will have to sell Eriksen in the summer if he does not sign a new contract (currently 18 months left)

Pogba and Eriksen pulling strings

Right back I'm fine with giving the two youngsters Dalot and TFM that position.

Unread 05-01-2019, 10:41 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Spurs will have to sell Eriksen in the summer if he does not sign a new contract (currently 18 months left)

Pogba and Eriksen pulling strings

Right back I'm fine with giving the two youngsters Dalot and TFM that position.
Eriksen is the most Barcelona bound player if there ever was one.

Unread 05-01-2019, 10:53 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Eriksen is the most Barcelona bound player if there ever was one.
Yeah you’d think so tbf.

Unread 05-01-2019, 10:53 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
Just as important is tying down De Gea and Martial to new contracts..........
Incredible that he is still here now, really.

Unread 05-01-2019, 11:11 PM
My Name is Heath

A centre back and a top midfielder is the priority.

Ideally we can get the lesbian trucker to play on the right - for that dosh he should be capable of playing in a slightly different attacking position ffs.

We need to lose Rojo and Jones probably, keep Killmonger and Philip Bailey as main back up.

Unread 05-01-2019, 11:35 PM
Whalefish

At least one CB and another full back.

Two midfield additions and a right sided 'winger' (or whatever the £#%&! they're called these days).

Midfield is as big a concern for me as the defence because atm beyond Matic, Pogba and Herrera there's £#%&! all there.

Clear out the dross rather than keeping hold of it to avoid buying replacements and get De Gea and Martial to sign new long term deals.

Unread 05-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Surfers do Charlie

We need to hang onto Pogba and de Gea.

Good as two new signings etc..

Unread 05-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Good shout.

Unread 05-01-2019, 11:57 PM
Lok

It was obvious as soon as Ole was appointed that we wont get anyone this month.

Ole has said not to expect signings.

So hopefully a busy summer with the new manager and DoF outlining their choices behind their current employers back (like Guardiola & City).

Centre Back is the most obvious position and we need someone world class who will come in and fit straight away. We can't £#%&! about with 'potential' in this position. We could probably do with a couple of midfielders. Herrera could do the job but Matic is a huge worry. He's played better under Ole but I don't trust him.

DDG
Dalot---Lindelof---New CB---Shaw
Herrera---New DM---Pogba
Lingard---Rashford---Martial

That team with a remit to play direct and at pace will compete on most fronts.

Unread 06-01-2019, 12:01 AM
dunk

I’m a fan of Jesseh, but we need a much better first choice option tbf.

Need better than Herrera too.

Unread 06-01-2019, 12:05 AM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I’m a fan of Jesseh, but we need a much better first choice option tbf.

Need better than Herrera too.
I think Lingard is fine. Every team needs a water carrier.

You're probably right about Herrera but under a good manager I think he'll improve greatly. I also fear that too many new players is going to upset the apple cart.
Closed Thread