United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Serenity Now

Default Ronaldo - Every goal for Barca...

With the exception of his penalty in the Cup Winners' Cup final against PSG. Unstoppable.

Unread 29-11-2007, 11:46 AM
The Watcher

At the time, I thought he'd go on to match the likes of Maradona and Pele as one of the greatest ever. Around that time 96-98, he was £#%&!ing unplayable. Immense for Inter too in his first season there. Took the piss out of Lazio in the UEFA Cup final that year.

Did so well to come back from his injury nightmare and re-establish himself as a top quality striker. But he could have been so much more...

Wasn't his sudden "bulking up" at Inter partly blamed for his injuries? Seemed to put on a lot of muscle in a short period of time after leaving Barca.

Unread 29-11-2007, 11:52 AM
magic_cantona

Genuinely brilliant at Barca.

Sad to see how he went not long after he left.

Unread 29-11-2007, 12:57 PM
MJ Ramone

I'd still have him at the Club now...give him our number9 shirt in January & £#%&! Saha off.
I know he's more than past his best & is very injury prone....BUT I've always wanted to see him in the shirt.

Unread 29-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
At the time, I thought he'd go on to match the likes of Maradona and Pele as one of the greatest ever. Around that time 96-98, he was £#%&!ing unplayable. Immense for Inter too in his first season there. Took the piss out of Lazio in the UEFA Cup final that year.
Yep. At any moment, no matter where he was on the pitch or how many defenders were in his way, you felt like he was capable of scoring. Just picking the ball up and going at full tilt directly to the goal. You couldn't take your eyes off him. To watch him in real-time was an almost surreal experience. For me, the only other player in the past 25 years who produced that same sense of awe and incredible excitement was Maradona.
Quote:
Did so well to come back from his injury nightmare and re-establish himself as a top quality striker. But he could have been so much more...
It's a such a shame. We've really been robbed of the two greatest attacking talents of recent times - Ronaldo through injury and Ronaldinho because of his ridiculous lack of desire.

As it is, I think Ronaldo will go down as one of the top five strikers of all time, but were it not for his injury problems he could well have been one of the top five players in any position.

I don't think Ronaldinho has ever played at the kind of almost incomprehensible level that Ronaldo did for a few years, but he was certainly capable of establishing himself as one of the all-time greats and changing the face of football to an extent not seen in a long time. Instead he slackened off completely. Very, very disappointing.

Unread 29-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Yep. At any moment, no matter where he was on the pitch or how many defenders were in his way, you felt like he was capable of scoring. Just picking the ball up and going at full tilt directly to the goal. You couldn't take your eyes off him. To watch him in real-time was an almost surreal experience. For me, the only other player in the past 25 years who produced that same sense of awe and incredible excitement was Maradona.It's a such a shame. We've really been robbed of the two greatest attacking talents of recent times - Ronaldo through injury and Ronaldinho because of his ridiculous lack of desire.

As it is, I think Ronaldo will go down as one of the top five strikers of all time, but were it not for his injury problems he could well have been one of the top five players in any position.

I don't think Ronaldinho has ever played at the kind of almost incomprehensible level that Ronaldo did for a few years, but he was certainly capable of establishing himself as one of the all-time greats and changing the face of football to an extent not seen in a long time. Instead he slackened off completely. Very, very disappointing.
best striker of my generation. MOTWYW

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Wasn't his sudden "bulking up" at Inter partly blamed for his injuries? Seemed to put on a lot of muscle in a short period of time after leaving Barca.
Indeed. The Inter medical team put him on a special training and nutritional program. The @#%&!s.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Mr_Ed

He looked awesome for Barca... I think whoever engineered his move to Inter badly advised him IMHO.

Came back for the 2002 world cup but never fulfilled his potential to be one of the best footballers ever. Shame.

Incidentally, how bad was that Kappa Barca kit?

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:23 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
From around the time Davids joined Barca, up until the European Cup final in 2006, Ronaldinho's performances were consistently brilliant. I can't believe how far he's fallen since then. Seems almost like another player. It really looked like he was going to be the heir to Zidane - that game at the Bernabéu in 2005 seemed to all but confirm it.

Last season, he scored more goals then he's ever managed in La Liga, but only showed flashed of his undoubted brilliance. This season, Barca have been better without him in the side. Who'd have guessed that only a year or so before. A criminal waste of talent, his lack of desire and motivation is unforgivable.

Quote:
Indeed. The Inter medical team put him on a special training and nutritional program. The @#%&!s.
Just another reason to hate the Nerazzurri

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Part 36 Offer

[QUOTE=The Watcher;670730]From around the time Davids joined Barca, up until the European Cup final in 2006, Ronaldinho's performances were consistently brilliant. I can't believe how far he's fallen since then. Seems almost like another player. It really looked like he was going to be the heir to Zidane - that game at the Bernabéu in 2005 seemed to all but confirm it.

Last season, he scored more goals then he's ever managed in La Liga, but only showed flashed of his undoubted brilliance. This season, Barca have been better without him in the side. Who'd have guessed that only a year or so before. A criminal waste of talent, his lack of desire and motivation is unforgivable.

what a good £#%&!ing post that is. Have been saying the same thing to my mates for a while now (since Chelsea's supposed interest in him really) and getting merked...sorry mocked. He has looked piss poor by his standards in the last 12-14 months. It is no surprise that the murmurs coming out of the Nou Camp are that is he available for transfer. Messi is the new kid about town there and ronaldinho (despite still being a class act) has failed to stand up to the plate. I am glad you mentioned his great scoring record last year because that is obviously the most prevalent evidence for the contrary - but his talents are definitely on the wain.

Unread 29-11-2007, 02:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
what a good £#%&!ing post that is. Have been saying the same thing to my mates for a while now (since Chelsea's supposed interest in him really) and getting merked...sorry mocked. He has looked piss poor by his standards in the last 12-14 months. It is no surprise that the murmurs coming out of the Nou Camp are that is he available for transfer. Messi is the new kid about town there and ronaldinho (despite still being a class act) has failed to stand up to the plate. I am glad you mentioned his great scoring record last year because that is obviously the most prevalent evidence for the contrary - but his talents are definitely on the wain.
Thanks

I believe his scoring record (I think he got 18 ) last season helped hide the fact that his influence on the side was waning. During the League run in particularly, it was only when Messi regained match fitness that they even looked like winning it. It's thanks to the little Argie that they took it to the last day imo.

This season, Barca have been a lot slower with Ronaldinho in the side. Some of their best performances have come when he's been out injured (or pissed, depending on who you believe) or dropped.

I think he needs a new challenge and would be better of leaving. I'm surprised he decided to stay during the summer.

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:44 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Genuinely brilliant at Barca.

Sad to see how he went not long after he left.

FIFA World Cup
All-Time World Cup Goalscorer - 15 Goals in 19 games in 3 World Cups
2006 Bronze Boot - Third highest scorer (tied) - 3 goals and 1 assist
2002 Golden Boot - Top scorer - 8 goals
2002 Silver Ball - Second best player
2002 Winner
1998 Golden Ball - Best player
1998 Bronze Boot - Third highest scorer - 4 goals 4 assists
1998 Runner-up

Internazionale
UEFA Cup: 1998

Real Madrid
Intercontinental Cup: 2002
La Liga - Primera División champions: 2002/2003
Spanish Super Cup: 2003

Individual
FIFA World Player of the Year, 2002
World Soccer Player of the Year:, 2002
European Footballer of the Year (Ballon d'Or): 2002
Onze d'Or: 1997, 2002
UEFA Most Valuable Player - 1998
UEFA Club Football Awards: Best Forward - 1998
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1998, 2002
Copa América 1999: Top Scorer
Spanish League Top Scorer:, 2003-2004
Intercontinental Cup MVP: 2002
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Overseas Personality: 2002

BTW Are you the waiter who asked George Best "Where did it all go wrong" when George had Miss World and £30.000 on the bed

I'll always have a soft spot for the £#%&!er after I backed him in a double in 2002

Top Scorer/Brazil Win 140/1

Thanks for the £14k

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:48 PM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

£#%&!in awesome!

Shame some thick @#%&!s will remember him as a fat @#%&! who underacheived!

Unread 29-11-2007, 04:58 PM
SilverSurfer

Most of those awards relate to two years, 1998 and 2002.

He was awesome in his first year in Serie A, but as Magic Cantona said, it all tailed off after that because of those injuries. To everyone's surprise, pulled it out of the bag at the World Cup in 2002 and did well for a year at Real in 2003, but that aside, never really hit the Barca height.

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:23 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Most of those awards relate to two years, 1998 and 2002.

He was awesome in his first year in Serie A, but as Magic Cantona said, it all tailed off after that because of those injuries. To everyone's surprise, pulled it out of the bag at the World Cup in 2002 and did well for a year at Real in 2003, but that aside, never really hit the Barca height.

Not to mine

**smug grin**
tempered by the memory of how much shit I was in at the time

Unread 29-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Wrongly blamed, to be fair. Tendons rupture and tear because of unusual stresses, most often with no contact from another player, and usually after landing awkwardly. Any added stress from extra bodyweight is mitigated by added joint stability by muscular development.

Unread 29-11-2007, 06:54 PM
koppas

Probably the finest season performance by any player. Ever. Unstoppable that year.

Unread 29-11-2007, 07:21 PM
that boy ronaldo

ronaldinho at the bernabue? is that when the madridistas stood to clap him after he had literally walked it into the net twice?? i remember watching that and thinking £#%&!ing hell!!

Unread 29-11-2007, 07:43 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by that boy ronaldo
ronaldinho at the bernabue? is that when the madridistas stood to clap him after he had literally walked it into the net twice?? i remember watching that and thinking £#%&!ing hell!!
Yea. I think the only other times they've given a Barca player (or Barca itself) a standing ovation was in 1974, when Cruyff inspired Barcelona to a 5-0 victory there. Then again, in the mid 80's, when Maradona single handedly turned them over.

Unread 29-11-2007, 08:07 PM
S/Side.Red

Incredible to think that he was just 19 when he signed for Barca; turned twenty early in that season.

Says everything about his ability and potential for true greatness at that age that in the ten years since then he's played at the very highest level for some of the world's biggest clubs, won the World Cup, won La Liga, entered the top three in the all-time goals record for Brazil, but has still not come close to fulfilling his true potential.

He may well have gone on to be the greatest striker in the game's history.
Closed Thread