United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
dunk

Default Are the majority of our support..

Now waiting impatiently to wax lyrical about the Giggs, Scholes & Neville they remember from their hay days, and as such are eager for them to retire in order to commence the reminiscing?

I just get the impression that ther are a lot of fans too eager to put Giggs and Scholes out to pasture.

Bergkamp, Sheringham, Di Canio and Zola are all players who have been said to be past it following a few rough performances, yet gone on at a good level for many years.

Unread 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Now waiting impatiently to wax lyrical about the Giggs, Scholes & Neville they remember from their hay days, and as such are eager for them to retire in order to commence the reminiscing?

I just get the impression that ther are a lot of fans too eager to put Giggs and Scholes out to pasture.

Bergkamp, Sheringham, Di Canio and Zola are all players who have been said to be past it following a few rough performances, yet gone on at a good level for many years.
Majority? No. a few £#%&!wits about these parts. confirmed. nft.

Unread 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
fergieslovechild

Giggs should only ever come on from the bench nowadays.

Scholes might just have another season in him.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Scholes has clearly "still got it" but Giggs as a player who has relied on pace for many a year just doesn't have anything left. He's just a body on the pitch at the moment-his experience should be passed on verbally because he's not showing the young lads anything whilst playing anymore. He should be benched most certainly

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Mr_Ed

What most of the above said.

Giggs = last 20 minutes of a game we are winning
Scholes = 1 more season after this.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:06 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergieslovechild
Giggs should only ever come on from the bench nowadays.

Scholes might just have another season in him.
Agree on Giggs, think he can still contribute well off the bench.

Scholes, well I'm more positive, I'm certain he has another season at least in him.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM
Zorg

I don't remember anyone ever saying Zola, Di Canio or Bergkamp were past it.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Rossobianchi

Giggs should be made into a impact player, I remember him coming of the bench against Reading earlier this season had a great impact on the game.

Scholes, can still do it just his injury set him back a bit this year.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Agree on Giggs, think he can still contribute well off the bench.

Scholes, well I'm more positive, I'm certain he has another season at least in him.
the season after next we will definatly have better starting options.

Anderson will continue to develop and I think Carrick will cement his place in the starting line up.

I think Scholes will become a game changing option from the bench as he has always been about opening up teams with a pass rather than 'running at defenders' type player where pace is a pre-requesite ala Giggs.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
the season after next we will definatly have better starting options.

Anderson will continue to develop and I think Carrick will cement his place in the starting line up.

I think Scholes will become a game changing option from the bench as he has always been about opening up teams with a pass rather than 'running at defenders' type player where pace is a pre-requesite ala Giggs.
I'd probbly agree with all of that.

Unread 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Scholes is clearly not finished. I do think age has caught up on Giggs though. His all round game has lost a lot of pace to it. Can't comment on GNev. He was fine up until his injury and defenders usually last longer.

Unread 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
dunk

I think all 3 still have a role to play, Giggs has been excellent at home this season, his influence is on the wane away, but I'd rather have him on the bench than not.

Scholes is now better in a midfield 3, the difference between him reaching this stage and Keane is that we don't have to change our usual shape to allow this, which should mean we don't suffer by accomodating him the way we did with Keane. Still a great player to have in your armoury, particularly when the team expects to see a lot of the ball.

I only ask the question because it seems the current fashion is to slag off the players who have been here a long time, I wonder if the fans are bored of the familiar and want new blood in, who they can then compare to the long servers in their pomp and give the new boys a good slagging, guilt free.

Unread 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
billy_costigan

scholes is still worth a place in the starting lineup esp when paired with carrick and nevile is yet to be judged as he aint played for a year, but i'm very very sad to say i think giggs is finished as a starter. I still don't like some of the shite he gets though of people with short memorys, its fergies fault he is still playing in the starting lineup.

by the way thats not a dig at fergie he just dont seem to want to see the truth.

Unread 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
I only ask the question because it seems the current fashion is to slag off the players who have been here a long time,
Nah, I slag O'shea, Fletcher, Silvestre and sometimes Brown off as well.

It's all about opinions.

It's my opinion you don't know what you are talking about.

Unread 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
borsuk

giggs has been mainly poor for months now but let's not forget how good he was last season as a mainstay of the midfield (with jos ffs). he needs to show that it is a (long) dip in form rather than the beginning of the end but he deserves another season. agree about mainly from the bench, though it is clear nani has come on in leaps and bounds (sorry) this year - giggs has surely had a part in that.

scholes is the best midfielder in the premiership, never mind our squad. it beggars belief that some united fans can't see this, tbh.

neville. well, we'll see. i have a horrible feeling brown will go and fergie will expect neville back, only for him to come down with another injury, or a series of small ones. we really need to get in a quality rb in the summer imo.

Unread 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
Nah, I slag O'shea, Fletcher, Silvestre and sometimes Brown off as well.

It's all about opinions.

It's my opinion you don't know what you are talking about.

Interestingly, they have all been here a long time.

Would you want them all replaced asap?

Or do you understand their importance in the scheme of all things United?

(Oh, and it's a well known fact I don't knowwhat I'm talking about, my confidence is so low, I can't bring myself to confirm. my own posts)

Unread 09-04-2008, 04:34 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
Interestingly, they have all been here a long time.

Would you want them all replaced asap? YES

Or do you understand their importance in the scheme of all things United? To give fans something to argue about?
(Oh, and it's a well known fact I don't knowwhat I'm talking about, my confidence is so low, I can't bring myself to confirm. my own posts)
"(Oh, and it's a well known fact I don't knowwhat I'm talking about, my confidence is so low, I can't bring myself to confirm. my own posts)"

Confirmed

Unread 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
MUFC

I feel that I am very lucky to have grown up in the era that I have and seen such wonderful players.

My old man used to tell me about Law, Best, Charlton and bits about Stiles and Crerand. I was old enough to see the later end of Robbo's career with United so he didn't have to tell me much about him.

However, when I am telling my future kids about United I could be there all day. Every day I will have a player that was the best I saw, then it would change.

Schmeichel, Hughes, Cantona, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham - then hopefully in the future Anderson, Nani etc.

The slating that Giggs gets is at times disgraceful, but I suppose football fans are fickle by nature. We all know that he won't go flying past full backs, but one of the finest sights in football was seeing Giggs in full flight running at defenders - particularly Juve defenders (Who he ALWAYS played well against) and that is what I will always remember. He is still a VITAL part of our squad and will play a major part in the run in.

Scholes is just a class apart. To think people on here said he is finished after he has 1 bad game is scandalous. Everyone has bad games - even forum favourites like Anderson.

I suppose I will have a special fondness for the class of '92 as I have grown up with them in my youth and it will be a shame when they have all retired or left, but the legacy will never be forgotten.

Unread 09-04-2008, 05:13 PM
dunk

Quote:
"(Oh, and it's a well known fact I don't knowwhat I'm talking about, my confidence is so low, I can't bring myself to confirm. my own posts)"

Confirmed

See, that's how it should work.

Confirmed by an independent adjudicator.

Unread 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Whip Hubley

scholes is still great, giggs is too old for first team appearances every week. he doesn't even look bothered.
Closed Thread