United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:14 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
his place stopped being guaranteed he showed himself up as totally unprofesional and a bad influence in the squad.
Thats my contention with him, and it's easy to be gracious after a title win, it cuts no ice with me. Would he have said that if Barca had pipped 'em to the league ?

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:16 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Thats my contention with him, and it's easy to be gracious after a title win, it cuts no ice with me. Would he have said that if Barca had pipped 'em to the league ?
In the end I'm far too excited by our current players to want to live in a past that had such a downside to it. Seems others aren't.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Really? I wouldn't, though he wasa great goalscorer. He was a generally poor all round footballer though, who demanded a certain style of play from the team in order to service him. This was a style of play that more and more didn't suit our team and as this became clear and his place stopped being guaranteed he showed himself up as totally unprofesional and a bad influence in the squad. As it is we've moved on to better football, a happier squad and aPL title and he's won La Liga so the move worked out for everyone. Ruud is the past and should be left there for me, I prefer to look forward to our exciting pacy squad.
I think that's pretty much spot on.

He has a brilliant knack of being in the right place at the right time, but the fact that he never scores outside the box is telling. No, it doesn't mean he was crap, but if you look at the way he hits the ball his technique isn't all that great. He's got one trick - nabbing goals accurately - and he's extremely good at it. For some teams that is more than enough, but United needed more at the time. It's all very well scoring 30 odd goals but if your team wins nothing at the end of it what's the point?

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:18 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I think that's pretty much spot on.

He has a brilliant knack of being in the right place at the right time, but the fact that he never scores outside the box is telling. No, it doesn't mean he was crap, but if you look at the way he hits the ball his technique isn't all that great. He's got one trick - nabbing goals accurately - and he's extremely good at it. For some teams that is more than enough, but United needed more at the time. It's all very well scoring 30 odd goals but if your team wins nothing at the end of it what's the point?

Exactly, towards the end it just reminded me of Ian Wrights time at the arse.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Ether

In his first couple of seasons with us he was much more than just a goal poacher to be fair.

I just don't understand why this argument about him keeps coming up though. As someone's already said, both sides have done well from him leaving, and we certainly play better stuff without him. What's to argue about?

Stan may want him back, but Stan thinks Carrick was shite all season too, so his footballing opinions could probably be best described as eccentric.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Tronics

Any guy.

Couldn't care less what he had to say after his conduct.

Good riddance.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:24 PM
TheNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
In his first couple of seasons with us he was much more than just a goal poacher to be fair.

I just don't understand why this argument about him keeps coming up though. As someone's already said, both sides have done well from him leaving, and we certainly play better stuff without him. What's to argue about?

Stan may want him back, but Stan thinks Carrick was shite all season too, so his footballing opinions could probably be best described as eccentric.
Excellent post Ether.

I'm delighted for Ruud, and he's a legend in my eyes, despite what he may or may not have said about us in the past. I think the comments that were attributed to him smacked of a proud man who had been hurt by being dropped and subsequently sold.

I think it meant a hell of a lot to Ruud to play for Manchester United. Now the dust has settled and he's proved himself again, and he's had time to contemplate what happened, it seems like he's realised the move was best for everyone.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_Tier2
why level the blame at him?

it was the rest of the squad playing poorly round him

he was scoring goals despite the rest of team playing poorly

Stop it now, Stan.

WUM over.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether

I just don't understand why this argument about him keeps coming up though. As someone's already said, both sides have done well from him leaving, and we certainly play better stuff without him. What's to argue about?.
I think it's because quite a lot of people see a guy scoring 30 goals a season and think that's all that matters in football. Well Newcastle with Andy Cole won £#%&! all. It's a team game, and one guy scoring a bagful only means something if you win trophies, otherwise it's pointless.

It's weird how United have never been suited to prolific goalscorers. The nearest we've had in my lifetime and probably since Dennis Viollet was Ruud, and that ended on a sour note.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:26 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
ruud . after becomig a champion in spain ruud went on to say

"it broke my heart to leave utd " legend nft
if he is united legend then what is Andy Cole who did much more than ruud could ever dream!

pathetic lazy dutch @#%&!.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Big Barry Fat Baps

heart bleeds for poor Ruud. poor poor Ruud.

Unread 19-06-2007, 12:31 PM
sharath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Barry Fat Baps
heart bleeds for poor Ruud. poor poor Ruud.

Unread 19-06-2007, 02:36 PM
TreeFiddy

I think Ruud is an easy scapegoat for some and because him leaving coincided with us winning the title, people assume he was holding us back. Perhaps his style of play didn't suit the knd of flowing, attacking football we've seen this season but there are bigger reasons why we were shit for a few seasons prior to this one. Last season, Scholes was out injured and we had Fletcher and O'Shea starting in midfield for many games. Evra and Vidic had not yet settled in and we were lacking in many departments. If anything, Ruud should be admired for still playing well with so much shit around him. Having said that, I'm not pissed off we sold him because that's clearly worked out well for both parties. I am, however, sad that so many United fans freely call him a @#%&!. I'm also annoyed that we couldn't get more money for him considering he's the best goalscorer in football.

Unread 19-06-2007, 02:43 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Perhaps his style of play didn't suit the knd of flowing, attacking football we've seen this season but there are bigger reasons why we were shit for a few seasons prior to this one. Last season, Scholes was out injured and we had Fletcher and O'Shea starting in midfield for many games. Evra and Vidic had not yet settled in and we were lacking in many departments. If anything, Ruud should be admired for still playing well with so much shit around him. .
How does this one-eyed view of last season account for the improvement in our play after he was dropped for Saha? Suddenly we started playing much more attacking free-flowing football, Ronnie looked happier, in fact I think it was a great help in our positive start this season.

Unread 19-06-2007, 02:53 PM
TreeFiddy

Do Real Madrid play crap, one dimensional football with Ruud in the side? I don't think they do. So how has this terrible team cancer been able to play in their side without a problem? Maybe Ferguson wasn't able to get the most out of Ruud and fit him into the team's play? Ferguson knew what he was getting when he signed Ruud. Ruud delivered by scoring goals galore.

Unread 19-06-2007, 02:57 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Do Real Madrid play crap, one dimensional football with Ruud in the side? I don't think they do. So how has this terrible team cancer been able to play in their side without a problem? Maybe Ferguson wasn't able to get the most out of Ruud and fit him into the team's play? Ferguson knew what he was getting when he signed Ruud. Ruud delivered by scoring goals galore.
So you are just not gonna answer? You don't have one so instead you're going on some rant about Real. Well actually Real were a fairly dull side for most of the season yes, rather one dimensional too. Just look at their goals scored compared to arather poor Barca side. Anyway, I'll let you continue living in the past or Madrid if you choose, I'm gonna enjoy our fast exciting team.

Unread 19-06-2007, 03:04 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Do Real Madrid play crap, one dimensional football with Ruud in the side? I don't think they do.
Yes they do. Limped to the league thanks mainly to Barca's languid performances before Christmas. Great form on the run in but other than that they were turd. Still, I wouldn't blame Ruud for the dull football, (Capello should take that accolade) but it does negate the point you are trying to make.

Unread 19-06-2007, 03:09 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Anyway, I'll let you continue living in the past or Madrid if you choose, I'm gonna enjoy our fast exciting team.
There's your problem! Right there! You're trying to paint me as some Ruud obsessed, Madrid fan who hates United and would rather have Ruud than win the title. You really do need to look at things with a degree of moderation and not take everything as black and white because it makes you look stupid. If you disagree with what I've said then fair enough, but there's no need to go overboard and portray me as having some kind of extreme viewpoint.

Maybe you missed these bits...

Quote:
Perhaps his style of play didn't suit the kind of flowing, attacking football we've seen this season...

Having said that, I'm not pissed off we sold him because that's clearly worked out well for both parties. I am, however, sad that so many United fans freely call him a @#%&!. I'm also annoyed that we couldn't get more money for him considering he's the best goalscorer in football.

Unread 19-06-2007, 03:13 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
There's your problem! Right there! You're trying to paint me as some Ruud obsessed, Madrid fan who hates United and would rather have Ruud than win the title. You really do need to look at things with a degree of moderation and not take everything as black and white because it makes you look stupid. If you disagree with what I've said then fair enough, but there's no need to go overboard and portray me as having some kind of extreme viewpoint.

Maybe you missed these bits...
I am looking at it in moderation, as I said he was a great goalscorer who in his last 18 months didn't suit the football we were moving to. He left we played better football and won a PL he moved and won La Liga, good move for both parties. You were the one seeing it in B&W, stating our poor form was everyone but Ruuds fault. I'd never say it was allhis fault, just that the move was correct for United and seemingly Ruud too.

Unread 19-06-2007, 03:20 PM
TreeFiddy

I never said none of it was his fault either!

"Perhaps his style of play didn't suit the kind of flowing, attacking football we've seen this season"

Not sure if that's really something to blame him for though. He is what he is. If he wasn't suited to our game then that's not necessarily his fault. As I said, Ferguson knew what he was getting when he signed him. IMO he never failed to deliver what was expected of him.
Closed Thread