United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Would keep Jones over smalling tbh. Can pass a ball, which helps.
Got a feeling Ole feels the same
He is always injured. Whenever he has had good form, its always ended by an injury.

Unread 03-08-2019, 02:57 PM
utd99

Quote:
You can’t. He could be Franco £#%&!ing Baresi, but if he’s only available 5 times a season what’s the point?

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Smalling had started every season in the last few years on the bench, various managers have wanted to go in a different direction, but the inability of others to stay fit and the truth that Smalling, flaws and all, is a pretty damn good defender, has brought him back into the team before too long.

Might be sold before the seasons starts, but if not I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again, partnering Maguire by Christmas. Especially if the midfield group stays as is, Maguire and Lindelöf looks a problem defending quick breaks to me.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Smalling had started every season in the last few years on the bench, various managers have wanted to go in a different direction, but the inability of others to stay fit and the truth that Smalling, flaws and all, is a pretty damn good defender, has brought him back into the team before too long.

Might be sold before the seasons starts, but if not I wouldn't be surprised if that happens again, partnering Maguire by Christmas. Especially if the midfield group stays as is, Maguire and Lindelöf looks a problem defending quick breaks to me.
Agreed.

Smalling is the most solid and reliable of all our defenders.

I dont want Jones as back up. He's too injury prone.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:27 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Agreed.

I think Ole might be happy to sell Smalling, committing to going in a different direction, prioritizing passing from the back. That is, at least, more of a plan than we have had in recent years. Somewhat like Fellaini, if you don't get rid of him, at some point during a season the effectiveness of what he can do is attractive and you end up relying on him again.

Also might be the most saleable out of the Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling. Add Tuanzebe and it is obvious that 2 need to be moved on.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Brucie

Quote:
Agreed.

I don't want Jones as back up. He's too shite

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
I think Ole might be happy to sell Smalling, committing to going in a different direction, prioritizing passing from the back. That is, at least, more of a plan than we have had in recent years. Somewhat like Fellaini, if you don't get rid of him, at some point during a season the effectiveness of what he can do is attractive and you end up relying on him again.

Also might be the most saleable out of the Rojo, Bailly, Jones, Smalling. Add Tuanzebe and it is obvious that 2 need to be moved on.
It's a real shit show. We have so many, need to ship a load, but need to keep some as back up....and I dont trust any of them.

Axel and Smalling would be my back up. I get your point re style and not reverting to 'fellaini', but I simply dont trust Jones to be fit when we need him.

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:40 PM
ZiggyStardust

Let’s be honest the only CBs who have the quality and attributes required are Lindelöf, Maguire and Axel

Sell any of the rest when we get a good offer for them
Doesn’t matter too much who first but just get rid of the mediocrity

Unread 03-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Let’s be honest the only CBs who have the quality and attributes required are Lindelöf, Maguire and Axel

Sell any of the rest when we get a good offer for them
Doesn’t matter too much who first but just get rid of the mediocrity
Aye. Guess we can't be too picky.

Unread 03-08-2019, 04:39 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Aye. Guess we can't be too picky.
And we've some how gone out of our way to golden handcuff a load of players to the club that literally no one else wants, FFS macari's chip shop is better managed

Unread 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM
TheFatGoth

Unread 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Yep, incredible.

Unread 04-08-2019, 07:29 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
He is always injured. Whenever he has had good form, its always ended by an injury.
Quite often a self-inflicted one too

Unread 29-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Vedder

How is he surviving the clear out ? Surely he’s only there now for comedy value?

Unread 29-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Ethers

Ffs opened this thread ready to celebrate another one going.

What a letdown.

Unread 29-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
How is he surviving the clear out ? Surely he’s only there now for comedy value?
No one wants him

Unread 29-08-2019, 03:22 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Ffs opened this thread ready to celebrate another one going.

What a letdown.
me too

Unread 29-08-2019, 04:17 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
No one wants him
That's ridiculous. Surely he could be put to good use on a farm?

Unread 29-08-2019, 04:35 PM
windy waffles

If Mike has gone, no way we let Jones go. Although can't see him doing well on the continent. Leaves is with just Axel, Jones and Bailly when fit.

Unread 29-08-2019, 05:31 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
If Mike has gone, no way we let Jones go. Although can't see him doing well on the continent. Leaves is with just Axel, Jones and Bailly when fit.
And Lindelöf, Maguire and Rojo too tbf.
Closed Thread