Closed Thread

Unread 25-03-2017, 02:22 PM
woody78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Imagine if we had a proper goalkeeper in those those years
Might have won another European Cup

Midget French c***
I remember the year after barthez. We had Tim Howard in goal.
I thought he would make the difference.

I was waxing lyrical about him during the Porto game at OT.

The last minute......

Unread 25-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Clarkie

The Juventus 3-2 in the 97/98 season was a great game.

The opening 40 seconds though

Unread 25-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
The Juventus 3-2 in the 97/98 season was a great game.

The opening 40 seconds though
I arrived on minute 3 to find us losing. Gutted. The atmos that night was something else.

Unread 25-03-2017, 05:56 PM
LFOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Leverkusen
we never were behind.still f@@ks me off.

Unread 25-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
He obviously didn't see di Maria play for us

Unread 25-03-2017, 11:45 PM
goldfinger II

Actually thought Barthez would be a good signing for us, despite the fact he always had a clanger in him. He seemed like a big character when playing for France and also seemed to make a lot of saves.

He made hardly any saves for us - any decent shot was beyond his reach - and seemed to save his biggest £#%&!-ups for the biggest games. A clown keeper if ever there was one.

Unread 26-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Stickman

Speaking of lost games. Was hopping youtube a few days back and came across this. Has to be the only United Liverpool game of the premier league era i have absolute zero recollection of happening.

United fans booing Barnes...

I also don't ever recall the goals from this match ever been showing in united Liverpool build ups over the years. Assuming it wasn't televised.

Unread 26-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Do people think we would have beaten Madrid in the final in 2002 had we reached the final?

Bar RVN, the team seemed to completely bottle it against them in the away leg a year later.

Until 2007 we never seemed to be good enough in the latter stages, with ties coming down to away goals or referee decisions (although the Porto call was terrible). Suspect mentality perhaps. After 99, knocked out by Madrid, Bayern, Leverkusen, Madrid, Porto, Milan.

Weak/under protected defences also an explanation as well perhaps. Also, apart from Giggs we had no one who could take on players.

Unread 26-03-2017, 03:10 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Do people think we would have beaten Madrid in the final in 2002 had we reached the final?
No.

As a club we're scared of them.

Unread 26-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle

Bar RVN, the team seemed to completely bottle it against them in the away leg a year later.

Until 2007 we never seemed to be good enough in the latter stages, with ties coming down to away goals or referee decisions (although the Porto call was terrible). Suspect mentality perhaps. After 99, knocked out by Madrid, Bayern, Leverkusen, Madrid, Porto, Milan.

Weak/under protected defences also an explanation as well perhaps. Also, apart from Giggs we had no one who could take on players.
Did we really beat any better sides than them during the 08-11 period?

Barcelona was arguably our best win, and they were well out of sorts that year, which led to Rijkaard leaving. During that period ourselves and Barca were the two standout sides. Madrid were in a spell where they barely got beyond the quarters and the rest of the opposition was pretty mediocre. Bayern very much in transitional phase, though they still knocked us out the one time we played them.

Unread 26-03-2017, 06:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
No.

As a club we're scared of them.
There is truth in that. Though as I have said before we probably had more chance against them in a one off game rather than two legs (whilst Barca may well be the opposite)

Unread 27-03-2017, 02:58 AM
Stickman

Quote:
There is truth in that. Though as I have said before we probably had more chance against them in a one off game rather than two legs (whilst Barca may well be the opposite)
agree with that.

Unread 28-03-2017, 12:01 AM
AnthonyMartial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Speaking of lost games. Was hopping youtube a few days back and came across this. Has to be the only United Liverpool game of the premier league era i have absolute zero recollection of happening.

United fans booing Barnes...

https://youtu.be/TCfQdFYGRPE

I also don't ever recall the goals from this match ever been showing in united Liverpool build ups over the years. Assuming it wasn't televised.

The forward six contains 2 strikers and 3 wingers. Brilliant.

Unread 29-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Dunno riccers. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Haven't played RM in a final but always get done over two legs

Beaten Barca yonks ago over two legs but lost two finals

But I reckon if anyone can shake any inferiority, it's Jose

Unread 29-03-2017, 10:10 AM
S/Side.Red

We were in absolute control of the game at OT against Madrid before Nani's red. For all their quality, we nullified them expertly. Who knows what would have happened in that last half hour, but there was no evidence of any complex. We were patently superior.
Closed Thread