United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-06-2010, 09:32 PM
dunk

Default Re: Anyone been watching 'Football's Greatest' on Sky?

Van Basten finished at 28, one of the games tragedy's. What a £#%&!ing player he was.

Unread 29-06-2010, 09:37 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Van Basten finished at 28, one of the games tragedy's. What a £#%&!ing player he was.
Amen to that - sometimes life just isn't fair

Unread 29-06-2010, 11:27 PM
dunk

Just catching up with these on Sky player.

Worth getting into, the first one is about loads of players that nearly made the final 25.

Dr. Socrates as £#%&!.

The first one of the 25 is Sir Bobby.

Edit: Love Denis Law. Wonderful man and player.

'Say what you like about Barcelona and Real Madrid, nothing compares to the history of Manchester United.' - Bobby Charlton.

Unread 30-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Brenner

Thumbs up Re: Anyone been watching 'Football's Greatest' on Sky?

Watched the Van Basten & Maldini episodes last night

Marco's dad Joop with all his memorabilia in his old room, what a finisher he was, some of those goals for Ajax & Milan were pure class, 3 time balon d'or winner

Maldini, debut at 16, 2 European Cup's by age 21, 126 international caps, 5 EC's in total, at Meelan for 30 years

Mint

Unread 30-06-2010, 08:47 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
cheers - July 7 then for the Best man. Although all the others made an impact on the World Cup - George never played in it so maybe Bobby Charlton might have been a better shout for this type of programme.
Di Stefano didn't either though, it would be laughable if a Series called footballs greatest never featured either of these two in it.

Unread 01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
dunk

Watched the Gullit one on Sky Player. What a £#%&!ing player he was. I didn't see that much of him pre-Milan, but he was awesome. You know you are the shit, when you chip the opposing keeper and he just applauds a character with it, something football today lacks, imo.

Watching the Beckenbauer one now, again, what a player. Playing a WC semi with a dislocated shoulder

Unread 01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Ashley's Grime

Zidane tonight. Don't miss it.

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
The Watcher

Unhappy Re: Anyone been watching 'Football's Greatest' on Sky?

Quote:
Been enjoying the series so far
It' a good idea, but has been a bit rubbish really. Apart from some of the interviews. No new footage, no really insights to the players or how they played in their various teams. Richard Keys narration is pretty annoying too.

Good if you know little or nothing about the players, but otherwise lacking any real substance. Could probably do with a longer running time and bigger budget.

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
It' a good idea, but has been a bit rubbish really. Apart from some of the interviews. No new footage, no really insights to the players or how they played in their various teams. Richard Keys narration is pretty annoying too.

Good if you know little or nothing about the players, but otherwise lacking any real substance. Could probably do with a longer running time and bigger budget.
It's a nice refresher course on the ones you do know and new info on the ones you don't (didn't know a great deal about di Stefano for instance)

Agree about Keys though.

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
It's a nice refresher course on the ones you do know and new info on the ones you don't (didn't know a great deal about di Stefano for instance)

Agree about Keys though.
Van Bastens old man was jokes, threatening to kick his arse all the way back to the ground

Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard. Imagine seeing them turn out for your club every week? £#%&!ing unreal. Among my earliest football heros

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
dunk

Quote:
Van Bastens old man was jokes, threatening to kick his arse all the way back to the ground

Basten, Gullit and Rijkaard. Imagine seeing them turn out for your club every week? £#%&!ing unreal. Among my earliest football heros
I like Marco's dad. And the English guy that signed Ruud. They don't £#%&! about in Holland.

I would've been chuffed just to see them play, in the flesh, once.

My Dad was telling me about Paolo Maldini at OT in a friendly at 18 years old, he said he was convinced he had just seen the finest footballer ever

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
I like Marco's dad. And the English guy that signed Ruud. They don't £#%&! about in Holland.

I would've been chuffed just to see them play, in the flesh, once.

My Dad was telling me about Paolo Maldini at OT in a friendly at 18 years old, he said he was convinced he had just seen the finest footballer ever
Any Milan team from 1988 - 1995. I used to watch them every time they were on TV. Best club side of my lifetime, no doubt.

Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten, Massaro, Papin, Bagio, Boban, Savicevic...all these wonderful attacking players played in that era. Add the great defence of Tassotti, Costacurta, Maldini and Baresi...it was just an incredible era. The original "Invincibles" went over 50 games unbeaten, when Seri A was at its very peak.

Course, they were finally undone when fellow fredster Fountz went to watch them

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM
red in cumbria

The original "Invincibles" indeed - and far superior to any later, and much inferior, imitations

European Cup Final 1994........:mmmonkey:

Unread 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM
dunk

Used to tune in for Italian football every Sunday, I think it was the season Papin joined them, and Lentini.

Although, I remember staying up late to watch the game/highlights of them actually getting beat, at Roma I think, just to see if it was true .

TV on silent turning it off when I heard feet on the stairs as I was supposed to be sleeping.

Unread 01-07-2010, 09:16 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up Re: Anyone been watching 'Football's Greatest' on Sky?

Saachi's Milan (88 or 89) beating Maradona era Napoli in Naples 3-2

Unread 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
The Watcher

Then destroying Real Madrid 5-0 the following year in the European Cup sem-final!

Unread 01-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Saachi's Milan (88 or 89) beating Maradona era Napoli in Naples 3-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrbwFy5LHy0
Virdis , who scored two in that game scored two against United in the friendly at OT in 88.

I remember reading somwhere that the camorra threatened the Italian players in the Napoli team before this game because if Napoli had won the league, the camorra would have lost millions , as they ran an illegal gambling network in Naples.

Napoli fans had put loads of money on them to win the league again that season.

Unread 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley's Grime
I remember reading somwhere that the camorra threatened the Italian players in the Napoli team before this game because if Napoli had won the league, the camorra would have lost millions , as they ran an illegal gambling network in Naples.

Napoli fans had put loads of money on them to win the league again that season.
I've read and heard the same from a few sources...

Unread 03-07-2010, 12:59 AM
dunk

The Zidane one was a bit disappointing, the great man nowhere to be seen and very little in the way of footage.

Bit shit really.

Unread 03-07-2010, 01:03 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
The Zidane one was a bit disappointing, the great man nowhere to be seen and very little in the way of footage.

Bit shit really.
Absolute %@#$&!s. Keys would name the club he played for then they'd re-hash some famous footage. Then name the club he moved to, show a few clips...and so on. His international career was covered in much the same simplistic manner. Terrible stuff.

Zico one was't much better, only worth it for a few interesting insights from a couple of Brazilian journalists.
Closed Thread