United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 09-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel
you have the spine of a jellyfish.

wtf? it was stonewall he moved his upperbody to the ball, realised it wasn't enough and got a bicep on it.

relax chaps, liverpool won't beat chelsea tomorrow and i don't think we'll concede a +14 goal difference in 2 matches.

Unread 09-05-2015, 11:11 PM
ZiggyStardust

The problem with Utd this season is that it seems everything has to be perfect for us to play good slick football
When some things start going against us like Carrick getting injuried our football seems to fall apart

Too often this season we have looked completely impotent in attack and all at sea at the back
Yes he doesn't have a squad to compare with Barca or Madrid but he has a good enough squad to produce better football than we've seen this season

He's achieved the minimum requirment this season of top 4 but this dysfunctional tedious football won't be tolerated next season

Unread 09-05-2015, 11:17 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
One step closer to a competition we won't win next season
You £#%&!ing sad @#%&! :shakehead:

Unread 09-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by erian
I agree, he is intensely pragmatic at this stage of his career, the Dutch style of play in the WC showcased this approach.

I have a feeling that some are so infatuated with the idea of what they hope to see from a LVG side that they are choosing to ignore/whitewash some of his more questionable decisions.

I am hoping for a massive improvement next season, results and style, if the rumours are correct Utd will be close to matching last summers spending, which will be close to a £300 million outlay in 12 months.
I think we need to think pragmatically. The aim this season was top four. last year was so utterly horrendous that we desperately needed to get top four back and some semblance of a direction.

We have both.

I think it's clear to see how LVG wants us to play. its not as pure as people think : it's creative in a very disciplined way. It relies massively on confidence and taking responsibility. Both are short at this stage, particularly the latter.

many of our circumstances have meant the players have to think and act for themselves. ....and some of them just can't do it.

LVG's has made two big errors in my opinion and has more or less admitted as much. he's underestimated the tenacity and energy of smaller teams- it's not as easy to pass them to death as he thought. And he's overestimated the players ability to adapt to his system. Some are just too damn thick and not technically good enough.

so he's made many of his problems. But he's also solved them. through any means. many of these tossers will still be £#%&!ed off or at least marginalised. fellaini being the best example: he's been really important to us....but I expect him to be a squad player next year.

finishing top four was the be all and end all whether we like it or not. If we were going nowhere, I'd worry, but it's clear where the shortcomings are, clear what we need to progress and we're in and good position now and this summer to do it.

Unless you had some stupid notion that we were going to win the league, this season will give us what we need. not much more.

Unread 10-05-2015, 01:05 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
I think we need to think pragmatically. The aim this season was top four. last year was so utterly horrendous that we desperately needed to get top four back and some semblance of a direction.

We have both.

I think it's clear to see how LVG wants us to play. its not as pure as people think : it's creative in a very disciplined way. It relies massively on confidence and taking responsibility. Both are short at this stage, particularly the latter.

many of our circumstances have meant the players have to think and act for themselves. ....and some of them just can't do it.

LVG's has made two big errors in my opinion and has more or less admitted as much. he's underestimated the tenacity and energy of smaller teams- it's not as easy to pass them to death as he thought. And he's overestimated the players ability to adapt to his system. Some are just too damn thick and not technically good enough.

so he's made many of his problems. But he's also solved them. through any means. many of these tossers will still be £#%&!ed off or at least marginalised. fellaini being the best example: he's been really important to us....but I expect him to be a squad player next year.

finishing top four was the be all and end all whether we like it or not. If we were going nowhere, I'd worry, but it's clear where the shortcomings are, clear what we need to progress and we're in and good position now and this summer to do it.

Unless you had some stupid notion that we were going to win the league, this season will give us what we need. not much more.
Innit.

Mourinho was coming into a far more settled team last season, had managed in the league before and even managed some of the same players before - he finished 3rd.

Rome wasn't built in a day. We've seen glimpses at the likes of Juanfield and against City. We're on the right track.

Can see a right back, centre back, defensive midfielder and a left sided central midfielder coming in as well as Depay. Maybe a striker too if RVP can be sold.

I actually think we'll surprise a lot of people in the CL next season as well.

Unread 10-05-2015, 03:02 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel

wtf? it was stonewall he moved his upperbody to the ball, realised it wasn't enough and got a bicep on it.
cba reading etc but anyone see Rednapp half time? Basically...

Yes clearly handball I agree but I would question if the referee had a clear enough view of it to have been able to give it....

Unread 10-05-2015, 07:01 AM
puressence

huge result tbh dug in 1st half was good totally in control then palace become all barca for 20 mins then it was even ..evans seriously shouldn't be allowed near the 1st team again big shout to young and the fro and dave at last ....

Unread 10-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Vedder

Louis

Unread 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
The problem with Utd this season is that it seems everything has to be perfect for us to play good slick football
When some things start going against us like Carrick getting injuried our football seems to fall apart
i think question's have to be asked about the team's character. we went to stamford bridge without carrick and several others and were still able to play good football because the team was full of confidence. losing that should have been considered a minor blip but as soon as we conceded early against everton, their heads went again.

united score first, we win. united concede first, we lose.

how many points have we won from losing positions this season? city at home and i can think of 2 blind equalisers. it didn't used to be that way.

Unread 10-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder

Louis
thunder thighs at the end would get serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
i think question's have to be asked about the team's character. we went to stamford bridge without carrick and several others and were still able to play good football because the team was full of confidence. losing that should have been considered a minor blip but as soon as we conceded early against everton, their heads went again.

united score first, we win. united concede first, we lose.

how many points have we won from losing positions this season? city at home and i can think of 2 blind equalisers. it didn't used to be that way.
100% agree. Aside from vs. city, we look about as effective as pure on countdown when we go a goal behind. And that was probs because it was a very early goal.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface

We have both.

Spot on

4th place with all our injuries is a decent achievement

Just look at yesterday we even got 3 more during the match thus disrupting the team and along with carrick and rojo missing we have had yet more injured defenders and our best DM to deal with AGAIN
And as LVG has not got everything right I'm sure he's got his targets lined up to correct the teams problems next season(he's already started with Depay)

Even chelski,Bertie's and the arse would have found it difficult with our problems this season and before anyone says about the £150 million Liverpool did £100 million and are 7 points behind us.

It's been far from perfect but top 4 this season was the target and bar a disaster it looks a target that has been achieved.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:13 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Innit.

Mourinho was coming into a far more settled team last season, had managed in the league before and even managed some of the same players before - he finished 3rd.

Rome wasn't built in a day. We've seen glimpses at the likes of Juanfield and against City. We're on the right track.

Can see a right back, centre back, defensive midfielder and a left sided central midfielder coming in as well as Depay. Maybe a striker too if RVP can be sold.

I actually think we'll surprise a lot of people in the CL next season as well.
Balls out from atticus

A good sign.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
dragflick

If the dippers beat the renters today, then we lose to arsenal... they'll probably be a point behind on the final day- meaning we'd need to beat a hull side fighting to stay up...

They won't win today though so it's fine

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:25 AM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
If the dippers beat the renters today, then we lose to arsenal... they'll probably be a point behind on the final day- meaning we'd need to beat a hull side fighting to stay up...

Probably. Haha have you had a rough night? Not too confident with your maths there. I can confirm you are probably right.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:25 AM
saffers

Quote:

They'd also need to beat Stoke away who haven't gone on holiday, just whalloped Spurs 3-0 yesterday.

But yeah, suspect our result will take motivation away from what has been a shocking liverpool side who were lucky to beat 10 man qpr at anfield last week.

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:26 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChip
Probably. Haha have you had a rough night? Not too confident with your maths there. I can confirm you are probably right.
Still pissed tbh pal. What was the error?

Unread 10-05-2015, 09:48 AM
HotChip

Quote:
Still pissed tbh pal. What was the error?
Just putting probably in, when the answer was finite. Amused me anyway.

My number crunchers have been working on it, and they confirm we would be 1 point in front should that scenario occur.

Unread 10-05-2015, 10:41 AM
The taste of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder

Louis
With his real assistant manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Cellulite thighs at the end would get serviced.
Corrected

Unread 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Vedder

Love her big thighs tbh. Would love them wrapped around my head.

Unread 10-05-2015, 12:21 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Balls out from atticus
too soon?