United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
BarryX

Default when would the scousers be knocked off their perch ?

Interested to know Fredsters opinions on this ? How can a perch be classified ??

Hypothetically of course, if we pull equal on Premier League/First Divison Titles this year, surely our greater number of FA cups would mean that 'domestically' we were the more succesful side ? Nobody would take the League Cup/Charity Shield as serious trophies ?

Barry's Perchometer (round 1 domestic): Winner Utd. Utd 1 : Scousers 0

In Europe the scouse record is slightly better (even if we were, still hypothetically speaking, to go on and win the CL, which I am not suggesting is likely in the slightlest). Despite their murderous antics and the fact they got everybody else banned (which by right should cost them some points on the perchometer) they do edge us in Europe.

Barry's Perchometer (round 2 European): Winner Scousers. Utd 1 : Liverpool 1

Therefore if we were to move on to the Global scale, surely our victories in the Intercontinental and World Club Cup, mean we would take the crown ? The scousers have done nothing on a global scale (or are these really nothing trophies - I for one don't think they are).

Barry's Perchometer (round 3 Global): Winner Utd. Utd 2: Liverpool 1.

That's my take....would you agree or do you think that until its 19:6 (PL:CL) we can't make that call ?????

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM
rubbernecker

Win ECL and Prem this year and repeat next year and the scousers have been well and truly knocked off

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
Win ECL and Prem this year and repeat next year and the scousers have been well and truly knocked off
yes, that would undisputed perch knocking at it's finest, however, based on that above facts would one more hypothetical PL give us any rights to make the claim ???

forzagarza

I don't think they've been knocked off their perch. I think someone has just put a cover over their cage.

wiganste

Tev - they're off their perch now and have been for a long time.

Their sucess is all in the past bar the odd cup (and 2005 ) here & there.

It'll be great to win more than they have but I'm enjoying the ride as it is at the moment. We can start worrying about who's got the bigger trophy haul in the next 10 years or so.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
ONESMARTBADGER

Their Crest has a pigeon on it. So technically it doesn't really perch so I'd agree with Ste and say they are already off it.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

It'll be great to win more than they have but I'm enjoying the ride as it is at the moment. We can start worrying about who's got the bigger trophy haul in the next 10 years or so.
They won't be off it until we have surpassed their achievements. When they have nothing to 'crow' about.

Our record in Europe is piss poor IMO and needs improving, which hopefully this squad will achieve.

Winning the title this season, leaves them with £#%&! all to go on about domestic wise, as we have equalled them, and havea better record in the FA Cup.

I can't £#%&!ing wait to see the 18+5 banners, when we're on 28+6.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Sparky***

Sure the European cup haul of theirs is greater than ours, but then our low points were much lower than theirs. We got relegated in the 70s - in the 90s they wobbled to about 8th in the premier league. We got nowhere near the european cup for 26 years, whereas they barely had to wait 15 years before being allowed in via the back door.

We've slowly chipped away at their trophy haul for the last 16 years and it has been that which has been the greatest pleasure. Over 20 years to watch their smirks and mocking laugher turn to spiteful jibes, and then the spiteful jibes turn to false bravado, and now finally today the bitter, paranoid, gibbering wrecks they are.

£#%&!ing priceless. They honestly thought their position as top dogs could never, ever be challenged.

That, rather than some numbers on a bit of paper - has been the greatest, sweetest pleasure for me.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
no fun

teville, shame on you for starting this thread

im having enough trouble sleeping at night thinking about whether their current league challenge is on or off without worrying if they are on or off their perch

be a bit more considerate next time

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:27 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. They have no claims to being the dominant force in England, and haven't had for many many years. Perhaps that is how we should view the perch. We are the ones that are well and truly on it.

In terms of waiting a while for the trophy count, I know where your coming from, but in terms of my latest little project (and its launch) it would be important to know whether or not we could taunt them with this stick this year (hypothetically, with the PL win)..

Will Ferguson's priority and goals have been fulfilled ????

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
denis lawless

Tev.....the Intercontinental and World Club Cup are glorified charity shields....

if you want a true decider then its got to be head to heads since the year dot......and we've beaten them more times than theyve beaten us...and that a FACT

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
The Watcher

Sparky*** - sport on

If we make it 18 this season, then go on and get 20 before them I think we can call ourselves top dogs. Yea, their European record is better (and ours woeful for a Club of our stature) but we've never gone on the rampage killing 39 innocent fans at a major final. For all their crowing about their five big cups, they're forever tarnished by the blood on their hands.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
teville, shame on you for starting this thread

im having enough trouble sleeping at night thinking about whether their current league challenge is on or off without worrying if they are on or off their perch

be a bit more considerate next time
I am sorry to have added to your sleep paterns woes, No Fun...however I don't want to waste several more hours of my life trying to do something that fellow users might not agree to. At the end of day, this board has become like the bench mark to me on the opinion of the average Utd fan. I do highly respect the opinions of most on here - Utd has been a major part in my life since the day I could talk, but there are much bigger reds here than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
Tev.....the Intercontinental and World Club Cup are glorified charity shields....

if you want a true decider then its got to be head to heads since the year dot......and we've beaten them more times than theyve beaten us...and that a FACT
And FACTS are always better than opinions. I do like the cut of your jib, Denis.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
believe

Thumbs up

Quote:

thank £#%&! finally. the way the World Club Cup has been talked about on heree has been embarrasing. weren't united 1/5 before the tournament started.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Over 20 years to watch their smirks and mocking laugher turn to spiteful jibes, and then the spiteful jibes turn to false bravado, and now finally today the bitter, paranoid, gibbering wrecks they are.
Fantastic

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville

And FACTS are always better than opinions. I do like the cut of your jib, Denis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
thank £#%&! finally. the way the World Club Cup has been talked about on heree has been embarrasing. weren't united 1/5 before the tournament started.

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I do see where your coming from, but its a real shame in the big scheme of things. Surely the champions of champions (of each of the continental clubs) is the cherry on top of a very tasty cake and the right to call yourself the best club in the world should have more meaning than it actually does..

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
I'm not having that denis – one of the main perks of winning the European Cups is the chance to go for the title of World Champions. It's downplayed (mainly by those scouse @#%&!s) because they could never manage it. Didn't they get dicked 4-0 in one final?

We have more World titles. They have more European titles. If we win the League and FA Cup, I think that puts us level on domestic titles?

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teville
I do see where your coming from, but its a real shame in the big scheme of things. Surely the champions of champions (of each of the continental clubs) is the cherry on top of a very tasty cake and the right to call yourself the best club in the world should have more meaning than it actually does..
i agree...but its just not taken seriously enough by europe...the hotbed of world football

you could say the same for the super cup.

theyre more showpeice than proper competitions .......sadly

Unread 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
denis lawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I'm not having that denis – one of the main perks of winning the European Cups is the chance to go for the title of World Champions. It's downplayed (mainly by those scouse @#%&!s) because they could never manage it. Didn't they get dicked 4-0 in one final?

We have more World titles. They have more European titles. If we win the League and FA Cup, I think that puts us level on domestic titles?
we're already way ahead in FA cups......just need that 18th league win

re the world titles, yes its a nice title to have but its not really a proper competition Watcher.....maybe in years to come it will be.....does anyone know whos won it the most or been in most finals.....or who won it 3 , 4 or 5 years ago ...thats the measure of it as a serious competition...you probably could recall the last 10 winners of the CL without googling it....
Closed Thread