United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-03-2008, 01:48 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Agree on that, Always the first one I look out for when fixture list is done and always the one I have trouble sleeping before and will be thinking about more than anything else. It's the one I enjoy winning the most too. 2-0 Rio from a corner and Rooney to finish it on the break when they decide to attack for the last 10 minutes.
Exactly.

It's the best fixture (home or away) to win & equally the worst to lose.

They've been pretty pathetic against us now for the last 4 or 5 seasons running.
They must be 'due' against us & that, plus Torres' form is concerning me more than anything else.
Hopefully Rio is ok because we'll need him.

If we really turn it on in that game, start taking our chances then I think it'll give us the confidence to go on & win the Title.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:03 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
4 points from the next 3 games IMO. Long way to go yet and I've not been impressed with our form, our finishing in particular. Against a half decent defence (like next week) I think we'll come unstuck.

In fact I fear the worst next week, not doom for doom sake, but we're struggling to find the net the scousers aren't.
doommonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
If both 'SUPER SUNDAY' games finish as draws I think I'd take that too.
sky don't fix the fixtures do they? :mmmonkey:

-------

but knowing United, we never do it the easy way. I predict a bumpy ride till end last away match at wigan against bruce.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Sparky***

Liverpool had a spell against us at OT from 2000-2005 where they only lost ONCE.

We've had the upper hand on them for the last couple of years but I don't think they're due anything at all.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:10 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899
Liverpool had a spell against us at OT from 2000-2005 where they only lost ONCE.

We've had the upper hand on them for the last couple of years but I don't think they're due anything at all.
I don't mean "Due" as in they've been unlucky against us and are due a bit of luck.
I'm just saying that you can't keep beating your fiercest rivals forever.
'Law of Averages' is always ready to pounce.

I don't think they've scored a Legue goal against us for 5 years (only an O'Shea own goal at OT in that time)

That level of dominance can't last.

I'd take any kind of win next Sunday.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:18 PM
MUFC One Love

Weirdly I don't get nervous about the Scouse at home, we always beat them. We always out fight them, work harder and take our chances.

We'll beat them.

Bolton/Villa are my worries.

Especially Villa.

Whaley made some good points regarding bad finishing. I think if we come up against a stubborn outfit we'll struggle.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I don't mean "Due" as in they've been unlucky against us and are due a bit of luck.

I don't think they've scored a Legue goal against us for 5 years (only an O'Shea own goal at OT in that time)

Word.

Unread 16-03-2008, 02:55 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:

Benitez has a poor record against us, only 1 goal his team have scored against us and that was in FA Cup.

Here's a stat for you.

Torres has scored 20 goals this season, only 2 away.

We have to beat them, no matter what.

Unread 16-03-2008, 03:03 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Weirdly I don't get nervous about the Scouse at home, we always beat them. We always out fight them, work harder and take our chances.

We'll beat them.

Especially Villa.

Whaley made some good points regarding bad finishing. I think if we come up against a stubborn outfit we'll struggle.
thankfully villa look like they are running out of gas. against boro and portsmouth, they were gash. I think mentally they have given up on this season knowing they can't finish in 5th place for the european place.

Unread 16-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:

We'll beat them.

Especially Villa.

Good thing Davies is out for Villa, now Zat Knight has to play.

Unread 16-03-2008, 03:35 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
If we get 9pts from these 3 home games I think we'll win it.

The game against Liverpool next Sunday is a horrible fixture.
We need to really turn it on it that game.

If both 'SUPER SUNDAY' games finish as draws I think I'd take that too.
Leaving things 'as is' with less games to play.

I'm not looking forward to that LIverpool game at all. It's the one fixture each season that I get the most nervous about.

3pts on Wednesday followed by a win over the dippers will be absolutely huge for us.

I've litterally got the old butterflies in overdrive as I'm typing this & thinking about this time next week.
I share your concerns. We need to show our true colours on Sunday. It won't be pretty, the stakes are high and it'll be bad tempered as £#%&!, but we usually rise to the occasion and I hope we step up a level and nick it 1-0 - we definitey need to step up a level.

But before that there is a Bolton game we can't take for granted and Chelsea go to Spurs. That's a real toughy for them. If they can win there and then beat Arsenal then they will really fancy their chances this season.

We know an awful lot more in 8 days time.

Unread 16-03-2008, 03:37 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
thankfully villa look like they are running out of gas. against boro and portsmouth, they were gash. I think mentally they have given up on this season knowing they can't finish in 5th place for the european place.
I agree. I know they've done well this season, but they still strike me as a soft touch and they have a very small squad.

I think that's looking too far ahead too. I hope the players and staff aren't doing this, Bolton should be all that's on their minds for now.

Unread 16-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6899

spot on. and before that little run they'd not won in a decade of trying at OT. They're due £#%&! all.

Quote:

Especially Villa.

Agree on Villa; long overdue, much like City.

Not sure about the finishing tbh. 2 goals in 3 games yes, despite plenty of decent chances. But 10 in the last 5, and 15 in the last 7.

In the cups we've hit 24 in 13 games. In the league it's 59 goals in 29.

Season average is a smidge off 2 goals per game in all comps, and that's what we're hitting still.

Unread 16-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
4 points from the next 3 games IMO. Long way to go yet and I've not been impressed with our form, our finishing in particular. Against a half decent defence (like next week) I think we'll come unstuck.

In fact I fear the worst next week, not doom for doom sake, but we're struggling to find the net the scousers aren't.
I share your fear.

Unread 17-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
I share your fear.

Unread 18-03-2008, 02:08 AM
revanoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
i'm actually quite glad we've got arsenal, chelsea and liverpool to go. i think we'll do fine against the big/motivating teams. it's the boros and boltons that i'm worried about, tbh. too much temptation to rotate, too much lackadaisical play.

nice to see how much it meant to ronnie and wayne yesterday, though. real desire and will there.
Well there is only one Bolton and one Boro so don't worry too much.

Unread 18-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Luffy

if there's one thing to learn from Arsenal drawing 4 in a row and losing what looked like a huge lead - its that anything can very easily happen. Making predictions is just too hard, we're as likely to crush Liverpool 4-0 as we are to lose or draw to Bolton.

One thing I'm thinking is that in recent weeks, Arsenal have started to look like a young side at the end of a hard season, nothing surprising about their form tbh. And we've looked like a side who is over relying on our own young players and our experienced players are either the wrong side of 32 or are relatively new to the club. Disjointed, sloppy, jaded, inconsistent, unsettled.

How many new partnerships have we seen this season? we've done remarkably well to be top. Tevez-Rooney. Anyone + Saha is hardly a settled duo, Ronaldo up front a bit. Hargreaves, Anderson mixing it with Carrick and Scholes, how many times has our league winning midfield actually played this season? Again, our form isn't surprising (unless you mean surprisingly good).

Chelsea however are very settled. There's a good amount of experience there and not much youth or older players at all. That means they're going to be a major force.

Chelsea are like pure efficiency and very little flair while we're almost all flair and raw talent and have a distinct lack of efficiency borne from the problems above.

will be interesting how it plays out, very hard to call. I do think we deserve it and we ARE the best squad in Europe, lets hope our boys deliver.

Unread 18-03-2008, 03:55 AM
TreeFiddy

I'm officially shitting bricks about the run in. Reading this thread has only made it worse.

Wouldn't have it any other way though. March and April are always thrilling months for United fans.

Unread 18-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
if there's one thing to learn from Arsenal drawing 4 in a row and losing what looked like a huge lead - its that anything can very easily happen. Making predictions is just too hard, we're as likely to crush Liverpool 4-0 as we are to lose or draw to Bolton.

One thing I'm thinking is that in recent weeks, Arsenal have started to look like a young side at the end of a hard season, nothing surprising about their form tbh. And we've looked like a side who is over relying on our own young players and our experienced players are either the wrong side of 32 or are relatively new to the club. Disjointed, sloppy, jaded, inconsistent, unsettled.

How many new partnerships have we seen this season? we've done remarkably well to be top. Tevez-Rooney. Anyone + Saha is hardly a settled duo, Ronaldo up front a bit. Hargreaves, Anderson mixing it with Carrick and Scholes, how many times has our league winning midfield actually played this season? Again, our form isn't surprising (unless you mean surprisingly good).

Chelsea however are very settled. There's a good amount of experience there and not much youth or older players at all. That means they're going to be a major force.

Chelsea are like pure efficiency and very little flair while we're almost all flair and raw talent and have a distinct lack of efficiency borne from the problems above.

will be interesting how it plays out, very hard to call. I do think we deserve it and we ARE the best squad in Europe, lets hope our boys deliver.
Good post Luffy.
Closed Thread