United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > News, Current Affairs & Politics
Closed Thread

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:07 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Still up after being corrected, thousands of retweets (for Murray's). All deliberate.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status...ZWWdbVWkloIHkA

https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/s...ZWWdbVWkloIHkA

And with that, suddenly partygate is out of the news.

Meanwhile the ECHR is an integral part of the Good Friday Agreement, the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU and the devolution agreements with Scotland and Wales.
They'll all just have to go then.

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:12 PM
redhegemony

Patel can barely string a coherent sentence together

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:33 PM
silv

This country is heading in a terrible direction.

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:38 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
This country is heading in a terrible direction.
Talking about the possibility of leaving the Convention on Human Rights...just astonishing...

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
I only read the brief write-up on the Guardian, I'm assuming there's something more to the below initial exchange. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't though...

it's probably poor reporting (but the maths could support the report as written, even if it were not).

what is a bit of the "more" is project keir's somewhat selective focus. added to boris not answering the question he was asked.

you can compare apples with oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
They'll all just have to go then.
would love to see sturgeon's face.

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:48 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
would love to see sturgeon's face.
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which that would be true.

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:53 PM
jem

Quote:
I cannot imagine any circumstances under which that would be true.
well... no. perhaps not to be taken too literally.

the standard of parliamentary debate..... jesus christ.

Unread 15-06-2022, 12:57 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
well... no. perhaps not to be taken too literally.

the standard of parliamentary debate..... jesus christ.
You voted for them.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Still up after being corrected, thousands of retweets (for Murray's). All deliberate.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status...ZWWdbVWkloIHkA

https://twitter.com/DouglasKMurray/s...ZWWdbVWkloIHkA

And with that, suddenly partygate is out of the news.

Meanwhile the ECHR is an integral part of the Good Friday Agreement, the Trade and Cooperation Agreement with the EU and the devolution agreements with Scotland and Wales.
Easy way for people with any sense of what is right and wrong to counter this sort of bullshit, and that's to start referring to the ECHR as 'Churchill's ECHR'. A couple of weeks of that being thrown about the airwaves and the outrage will calm down.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:12 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
You voted for them.
I would get more sense out of lord buckethead.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:24 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I would get more sense out of lord buckethead.
Maybe you should have voted for him instead.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:43 PM
jem

Quote:
Maybe you should have voted for him instead.
I would have given it serious consideration. but the point was (quite clearly) that they are all shit. so it doesn't matter whether you vote labour, tory, snp or waste your vote. it's the standard of debate that's shit.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:52 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I would have given it serious consideration. but the point was (quite clearly) that they are all shit. so it doesn't matter whether you vote labour, tory, snp or waste your vote. it's the standard of debate that's shit.
It's not so much that they're all shit, they aren't, just a lot of them.

The point is that people who make themselves slaves to a particular political side are frankly nuts.

There is little, if any, meaningful difference between the policies of Boris and Starmer.

In fact, there has been little in the way of divergence from the consensus since Thatcher departed; Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Boris...it's all the same.

Look what happened when a genuine change was on the ballot (Corbyn) that would have upended the appearance of choice by delivering a genuine non-establishment manifesto.

His own side piled in on him to make sure he wasn't elected.

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:54 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
They may all seem shit if you have plenty of income, savings, use private education, and have private health care - at the other end of society, they certainly aren't.

10 years of Conservative Governments have wreaked havoc on so many people. We have teachers and nurses having to rely on food banks. Are you not ashamed?

Unread 15-06-2022, 01:58 PM
tatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
10 years of Conservative Governments have wreaked havoc on so many people. We have teachers and nurses having to rely on food banks. Are you not ashamed?

Well Jem? What have you got to say for yourself about this hysterical nugget of anecdotal hyperbole?

Unread 15-06-2022, 02:05 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Well Jem? What have you got to say for yourself about this hysterical nugget of anecdotal hyperbole?
Plenty of evidence - are you not ashamed?

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/work...uggling-staff/

and even the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-droves.html

Unread 15-06-2022, 02:06 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
They may all seem shit if you have plenty of income, savings, use private education, and have private health care - at the other end of society, they certainly aren't.

no, I'm not ashamed. well, I am, but not for the reason you are suggesting.

I am not responsible for governing the country. if I were, things would be very different. you wouldn't have dared make that last comment, for starters.

as for the (not new, but still) slur about not really being affected, as I'm not a pov, it is baseless. I do not vote in my own interests. nor do a lot of poor people.

Unread 15-06-2022, 02:08 PM
red red robbo

Even if they are all shit, I'd still rather have the ones in charge who are less in the pockets of big business and tend to what to make things better for the majority rather than maintain the privileged position of a tiny minority.

At least then when they manage to do something they are trying to do it will be beneficial for a larger number of people.

Unread 15-06-2022, 02:15 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
or maybe the evidence of the President of the RCN to the Health Select Committee?

Quote:
Dr Chaffer:
We cannot get away from the pay issue. I am quite sure that you have seen the pretty comprehensive evidence that we gave the pay review body on the scale of the problem. We have nurses who are unable to pay their rent, unable to afford petrol to get to work and unable to get a mortgage. We have spoken to a number of members who cannot get a mortgage. They rely on food banks. Clearly, pay is absolutely critical. Wecannot move away from that.

Unread 15-06-2022, 02:20 PM
tatty

f*** off is he called Dr Chaffer.

Iím not having that.
Closed Thread