United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > TV / Film / Books / Arts
_

Unread 28-07-2022, 10:44 AM
est.1878

Default 1920s Fiat Lingotto building in Turin

The Lingotto building in Turin, had five floors, with raw materials going in at the ground floor, and cars built on a line that went up through the building. Finished cars emerged at rooftop level to go onto the test track. It was the largest car factory in the world at that time

Unread 28-07-2022, 11:00 AM
red red robbo

As made famous...

Great idea!

Unread 28-07-2022, 11:16 AM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
As made famous...

Great idea!
Thought you were going to call into question the nature of their "finished" products....

Unread 04-08-2022, 10:17 AM
est.1878

Default 15,000 tons steam-hydraulic forging press , Essen, Germany 1920

Unread 05-08-2022, 10:15 AM
est.1878

Default soldier rescuing a donkey from starvation, Algeria 1958

Unread 08-08-2022, 08:59 AM
est.1878

Default Windows XP ‘Bliss’ Wallpaper, the Most Viewed Photograph in History

Ask any computer user today and s/he would instantly recognize the green hills, blue skies and the fluffy white clouds — the default wallpaper in Windows XP, Microsoft’s operating system (OS). But not many know that the wallpaper, called ‘Bliss,’ is not a digital creation; it’s an actual photograph of the wine region of Napa Valley, USA. Former National Geographic photographer Charles O’Rear took the photo in January 199

In January 1996, Charles O’Rear was on his way from his home in St. Helena, California, in the Napa Valley north of San Francisco, to visit his girlfriend, Daphne Irwin (whom he later married), in the city, as he did every Friday afternoon. He was working with Irwin on a book about the wine country. He was particularly alert for a photo opportunity that day, since a storm had just passed over and other recent winter rains had left the area especially green. Driving along the Sonoma Highway he saw the hill, free of the vineyards that normally covered the area; they had been pulled out a few years earlier following a phylloxera infestation. “There it was! My God, the grass is perfect! It’s green! The sun is out; there’s some clouds,” he remembered thinking.

Microsoft said they wanted not just to license the image for use as XP’s default wallpaper, but to buy all the rights to it. They offered O’Rear what he says is the second-largest payment ever made to a photographer for a single image; however, he signed a confidentiality agreement and cannot disclose the exact amount. It has been reported to be “in the low six figures.” O’Rear needed to send Microsoft the original film and sign the paperwork; however, when couriers and delivery services became aware of the value of the shipment, they declined since it was higher than their insurance would cover. Instead, the software company bought O’Rear a plane ticket and he personally delivered it to their offices. “I had no idea where it was going to go,” he said. “I don’t think the engineers or anybody at Microsoft had any idea it would have the success it’s had.”

same hill in 2017 :

Unread 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Ask any computer user today and s/he would instantly recognize the green hills, blue skies and the fluffy white clouds — the default wallpaper in Windows XP, Microsoft’s operating system (OS). But not many know that the wallpaper, called ‘Bliss,’ is not a digital creation; it’s an actual photograph of the wine region of Napa Valley, USA. Former National Geographic photographer Charles O’Rear took the photo in January 199

In January 1996, Charles O’Rear was on his way from his home in St. Helena, California, in the Napa Valley north of San Francisco, to visit his girlfriend, Daphne Irwin (whom he later married), in the city, as he did every Friday afternoon. He was working with Irwin on a book about the wine country. He was particularly alert for a photo opportunity that day, since a storm had just passed over and other recent winter rains had left the area especially green. Driving along the Sonoma Highway he saw the hill, free of the vineyards that normally covered the area; they had been pulled out a few years earlier following a phylloxera infestation. “There it was! My God, the grass is perfect! It’s green! The sun is out; there’s some clouds,” he remembered thinking.

Microsoft said they wanted not just to license the image for use as XP’s default wallpaper, but to buy all the rights to it. They offered O’Rear what he says is the second-largest payment ever made to a photographer for a single image; however, he signed a confidentiality agreement and cannot disclose the exact amount. It has been reported to be “in the low six figures.” O’Rear needed to send Microsoft the original film and sign the paperwork; however, when couriers and delivery services became aware of the value of the shipment, they declined since it was higher than their insurance would cover. Instead, the software company bought O’Rear a plane ticket and he personally delivered it to their offices. “I had no idea where it was going to go,” he said. “I don’t think the engineers or anybody at Microsoft had any idea it would have the success it’s had.”

same hill in 2017 :
Always reminded me of the location of the battle at the end of the Phantom Menace.

Unread 11-08-2022, 10:30 AM
est.1878

Default World Fair 1939 new york

The 1939–40 New York World’s Fair was a world’s fair held at Flushing Meadows–Corona Park in Queens, New York

U.S. Marine Corps marching in front of the USSR (Soviet) Pavilion, 1939 New York World's Fair

Unread 11-08-2022, 10:50 AM
Spock

Quote:

I like this

same hill in 2017 :

Unread 14-08-2022, 09:17 PM
thatsfuctit

Brand new 1949 Fords are heading down the Mississippi to the dealers.

Unread 16-08-2022, 06:44 PM
est.1878

Default A B-17 waist gunner

Unread 16-08-2022, 06:46 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Nope.

Waist gunner on a B-17 only had a single .50 cal Browning gun.

That's got 4 belts = 4 guns. RAF tail gunner.

Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling & mebbe 1 or 2 others I forgot.

Unread 16-08-2022, 06:50 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Nope.

It looked to me like one of the wombles, about to even a score.

Unread 16-08-2022, 06:52 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Nope.

Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling & mebbe 1 or 2 others I forgot.
Al

Would like this on a 4 foot canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
It looked to me like one of the wombles, about to even a score.

Fotyness...

Unread 16-08-2022, 07:38 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Al

Would like this on a 4 foot canvas

Fotyness...
Deffo a cool pic. The look in his eyes ....

Unread 29-08-2022, 09:48 PM
thatsfuctit

Kaiser Willhelm II smoking in Silesia circa 1913.

Unread 29-08-2022, 10:57 PM
tatty

Magnificent helmet.

Unread 29-08-2022, 11:16 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Magnificent helmet.
When he takes a drag on the fag, does the smoke come out of the holes in the spike bit on top?

Unread 01-09-2022, 05:39 PM
Fat Al

We've got stuff from the 1970's, so I'm gonna sneak in a pic from 1982 (or possibly 1981)
Building the cityscape for the film Blade Runner.

Unread 14-09-2022, 02:43 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsfuctit
Kaiser Willhelm II smoking in Silesia circa 1913.

Cool smoker here

A young boy lights up one last cigarette before facing the repercussions for breaking into his father's automobile and crashing it. 1974