United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Food and Drink
_

Unread 15-10-2022, 03:06 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
Right, summer is over the harvest is past, so how did we all get on?

For me, big successes -

Potatoes - I think I have enough to see us through to January or February.
Courgettes - plenty of these from June to last week
Cucumbers - again loads, end of July until now
Cherry tomatoes - loads
Beetroot - plenty of them, nice roasted
Rocket/romaine - both great early on but bolted when we got that one week of nice weather in July.

Failures

Onions - ok but not very big. Again, some bolted when the weather turned Tomatoes - disappointing, really late In ripening, think they got the blight.
Peas/mangetout - very nice but took up too much room for all we got back. Wonít do again
Peppers - got one decent size green pepper and a few small ones
Chilli peppers - waste of time, probably started them too late.
Aubergines - nice flowers, but thatís all.
Carrots - tasted nice but there werenít an awful lot of them and they werenít very big. Didnít even get an amusing one I could send to Esther Rantzen

All in all, a good first year. I know the things Iíll redo next year and those I wonít bother with, and also what Iíll do in their place.

Still waiting on the parsnips. They get sweeter if you let the frost get at them before lifting.

How did people who live in areas where the sun didnít wait until mid august to appear get on?
Carrots are hard work, I've always struggled to get a decent crop, been a good year for spuds here as well.
Try growing onions from seed next year,I've found I get much better results than from sets.
Chillies and aubergines you need to start them really early, like February, indoors to get a good crop, and feed them weekly with tomatoe feed.

Unread 15-10-2022, 03:35 PM
Finport Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Carrots are hard work, I've always struggled to get a decent crop, been a good year for spuds here as well.
Try growing onions from seed next year,I've found I get much better results than from sets.
Chillies and aubergines you need to start them really early, like February, indoors to get a good crop, and feed them weekly with tomatoe feed.
I did some onions from seed, some from sets. Both red varieties. It was the set ones that bolted. Subsequently read theyíre prone to that.

Iím not sure aubergines will work in this drab and colourless place. Too wet, too cold. Will try again with the chillies though, and start them off in Feb. Cheers

Unread 15-10-2022, 05:49 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red
I did some onions from seed, some from sets. Both red varieties. It was the set ones that bolted. Subsequently read theyíre prone to that.

Iím not sure aubergines will work in this drab and colourless place. Too wet, too cold. Will try again with the chillies though, and start them off in Feb. Cheers
I've grown them here in Lancashire. They don't get assigned as shop bought ones but I ended up with 6 off 3 plants. I grew sweet chillies this year for the first time, have had a bumper crop.

Unread 15-10-2022, 05:55 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
I've grown them here in Lancashire. They don't get assigned as shop bought ones but I ended up with 6 off 3 plants. I grew sweet chillies this year for the first time, have had a bumper crop.
Nice one. Might give them another whirl.