United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Only on Fred can a manager be lauded for spending hundreds of millions on nine new players then pointing out they're bad

He signed Lukaku and Matic ffs, players he already knew

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
He wanted new defenders because the ones he bought weren’t good enough. He buys Bailly and Lindelof and plays Smalling and Jones. Buys Dalot and plays Valencia. Buys Pogba and benches him because -surprise surprise- he’s an immature, preening #@&%!. Buys Fred and doesn’t play him. Buys Mkhitaryan and the because he’s shit swaps him for Sanchez, who’s shit.

We bang on about Guardiola because he was able to ditch a bunch of past-it players and replace them in short time, including his own duff buy of Bravo, but the players he brought in performed. Big difference.

How many players would Mourinho have wanted before he was satisfied with the ‘support’, 20? 30? Would anything have been his fault?
Good post. The answer to your question is no, Mou by that stage was incapable of accepting blame. He resented everything while he was here from the media coverage he received, the players he inherited or bought, the players he didn't buy, the coverage other managers got etc etd ad infinitum. He was a busted flush but while I can understand why someone as clueless as Ed would hire him in the first place I can't understand how after two years he saw fit to renew his contract, not back him in the following window but then wait until our season was effectively over to sack him.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:18 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie
No offence but, as I said, I'm not arsed going over this again. He failed, he got sacked, end of!

I was just pointing out to blame him for all of this is ridiculous and nonsensical. Everyone at the club played their part in this
I don’t think I’ve seen any reasonable poster suggest everything is his fault.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:19 PM
AK14

Quote:
Dun...

Oh wait.

Brucie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Only on Fred can a manager be lauded for spending hundreds of millions on nine new players then pointing out they're bad

He signed Lukaku and Matic ffs, players he already knew
I don't think anyone wanted us to sign Lukaku

Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Everything Mourinho did took us in the opposite direction to the one we needed to go in, now here we are.
Here we are, where we were before mourinho.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Brucie

Quote:
Ah now come on.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:20 PM
messhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:22 PM
elhombre

Quote:
true that

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Did he do a good job then?
I think the glazers would have settled for second place and an fa cup final this season tbh.

Quote:
Why does it have to be all this one or that one’s fault. Woodward hired him and van Gaal so it’s on him, but that doesn’t mean they get a free pass on doing a shit job. VG and Mourinho bought these shit players, but that doesn’t mean they get a free pass on playing shit either.

Truth is, it’s on all the £#%&!ing clowns; and poor Ole is getting lambasted.
Mourinho and van gaal would argue most of the shit players ‘they’ bought weren’t anywhere close to being their first choices.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:24 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
Good post. The answer to your question is no, Mou by that stage was incapable of accepting blame. He resented everything while he was here from the media coverage he received, the players he inherited or bought, the players he didn't buy, the coverage other managers got etc etd ad infinitum. He was a busted flush but while I can understand why someone as clueless as Ed would hire him in the first place I can't understand how after two years he saw fit to renew his contract, not back him in the following window but then wait until our season was effectively over to sack him.
Because he’s out of his depth. I believe he has good intentions, but as soon as things turn south he simply doesn’t know what to do for the best; and why should he? It’s like asking an accountant what to do about your impacted molars.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:27 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
He wanted new defenders because the ones he bought weren’t good enough. He buys Bailly and Lindelof and plays Smalling and Jones. Buys Dalot and plays Valencia. Buys Pogba and benches him because -surprise surprise- he’s an immature, preening #@&%!. Buys Fred and doesn’t play him. Buys Mkhitaryan and the because he’s shit swaps him for Sanchez, who’s shit.

We bang on about Guardiola because he was able to ditch a bunch of past-it players and replace them in short time, including his own duff buy of Bravo, but the players he brought in performed. Big difference.

How many players would Mourinho have wanted before he was satisfied with the ‘support’, 20? 30? Would anything have been his fault?
I’d say Mourinho’s biggest issue with ‘backing’ is woodward undermining his authority with the players by not allowing him to take a stand against, nor sell them. I’m still waiting for martial, Pogba and shaw to turn into these world class players that mourinho was holding back.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
I think the glazers would have settled for second place and an fa cup final this season tbh.
Possibly. How do you think they would have felt about being 16 points out of 4th by January and getting worse by the week though? Let’s not make it sound like the guy got sacked 5 years ago eh? Those halcyon days.

Quote:
I’d say Mourinho’s biggest issue with ‘backing’ is woodward undermining his authority with the players by not allowing him to take a stand against, nor sell them. I’m still waiting for martial, Pogba and shaw to turn into these world class players that mourinho was holding back.
Plenty of blame to go around. I just don’t like to see any of it diluted to suit our preferences.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:30 PM
utd99

Quote:
Mourinho and van gaal would argue most of the shit players ‘they’ bought weren’t anywhere close to being their first choices.
You can’t possibly know if that’s true. If there’s anything worse than excuses, it’s excuses based on utter conjecture.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Because he’s out of his depth. I believe he has good intentions, but as soon as things turn south he simply doesn’t know what to do for the best; and why should he? It’s like asking an accountant what to do about your impacted molars.
But Mou was miserable almost from the minute he got here, Ed was in direct contact with him for 18 months at the point he decided to renew the contract. Did he not think to himself that the remaining 18 months on his contract was sufficient with such a miserable #@&%!? Or at the very least to wait until the end of the second season? We are talking the basics of Ed's job here.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
And then keep asking the accountant for 6 more £#%&!ing years.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM
utd99

Quote:
But Mou was miserable almost from the minute he got here, Ed was in direct contact with him for 18 months at the point he decided to renew the contract. Did he not think to himself that the remaining 18 months on his contract was sufficient with such a miserable #@&%!? Or at the very least to wait until the end of the second season? We are talking the basics of Ed's job here.
Correct. A job he shouldn’t be doing because he’s utterly out of his depth in it, and which has very little to do with his area of proven competence. I really think he thought a combination of money and simple assessment of ‘best available’ were enough. When they weren’t, I don’t think he knew what to do. Just my opinion of course.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Plenty of blame to go around. I just don’t like to see any of it diluted to suit our preferences.
Plenty of blame, but it’s pointless blaming others whilst the root cause remains. We can have 10 more managers. £#%&! all would change.

Quote:
You can’t possibly know if that’s true. If there’s anything worse than excuses, it’s excuses based on utter conjecture.
They’ve both said as much.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM
utd99

Quote:
And then keep asking the accountant for 6 more £#%&!ing years.
Agreed, but good luck waiting for the decision makers to remove or replace the decision makers.

Unread 05-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Like you say, take one approach or the other. Woodward both gave him a new contract and then £#%&!ed him over a few months later. It’s utter mismanagement. Whether that comes from the glazers constantly moving the goalposts, or Woodward himself, who knows.
Closed Thread