United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:54 PM
denis lawless

Before sailing home on a unsinkable sink

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:04 PM
dodger

I can't remember ever seeing him play so I'm no getting too misty eyed about it. Terrible shame for those that knew him of course.

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:31 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron
Big JC was the %@#$&!s & the single most important person in football ever in my opinion. A wonderful player, & a free thinker.
Nqat.

What a legacy to leave

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I can't remember ever seeing him play so I'm no getting too misty eyed about it. Terrible shame for those that knew him of course.
I can, just about; the 1974 WC is perhaps the first major football thing I recall properly - was gutted when Holland lost

Can also recall Pele playing come to that (in the US admittedly, not "proper" football)

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Sapien

Thumbs up

https://twitter.com/bondvigilantes/s...37110115241984

A fitting tribute to the man I'm sure you will all agree.

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:47 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I can, just about; the 1974 WC is perhaps the first major football thing I recall properly - was gutted when Holland lost

Can also recall Pele playing come to that (in the US admittedly, not "proper" football)
How old are you Riccers? Just as a point of reference? A mate of mine has described him as a childhood hero which sounds like revisionist %@#$&!s to me.

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
How old are you Riccers? Just as a point of reference? A mate of mine has described him as a childhood hero which sounds like revisionist balls to me.
when i was a kid i had cruyff stuff out of cereal packets. there was a sticker that i stuck on the pantry door, and there was one of them ones that moves when you wobble it of him doing the cruyff - think it was out of shredded wheat

Unread 24-03-2016, 05:59 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
How old are you Riccers? Just as a point of reference? A mate of mine has described him as a childhood hero which sounds like revisionist %@#$&!s to me.
Born in 1966 - thought you were about the same?

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:03 PM
no fun

Quote:
Born in 1966 - thought you were about the same?
1966 was a great year for English chess

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:19 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Doesn't take much to be a childhood hero though does it? He retired before I was even born and I grew up doing his skills, fully aware of where they came from etc

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:21 PM
no fun

Popped his clogs

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:21 PM
red in cumbria

LvG didn't get on with him did he? Certainly his somewhat perfunctory tribute suggests as much

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:24 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
LvG didn't get on with him did he? Certainly his somewhat perfunctory tribute suggests as much
Do any eccentric Dutchmen get along?

They had footballing disputes, but when LvG took over Ajax intent on inplementing his own vision, he was always going to bump heads with the Big Man

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Zorg

Wasn't there sone story about LVG leaving a dinner party at Cruyff's house early because his wife was ill and Cruyff never forgiving him?
Or am I getting mixed up with a 1989 episode of Neighbours?

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:36 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Wasn't there sone story about LVG leaving a dinner party at Cruyff's house early because his wife was ill and Cruyff never forgiving him?
Or am I getting mixed up with a 1989 episode of Neighbours?
LVG was having dinner at Cruyffs and got a phone call telling him his sister had died, so left the dinner party. Cruyff took offence at this.. Mad moody bastard..

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:43 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
LVG was having dinner at Cruyffs and got a phone call telling him his sister had died, so left the dinner party. Cruyff took offence at this.. Mad moody bastard..
Or at least, LvG said that Cruyff took offence to it. £#%&! knows with these lads. They don't need much of an excuse to dislike each other. Of course when Van Gaal took over Ajax they initially resented him for not being Cruyff.

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Tiberian

One world is not enough for two such overpowering ego's to co-exist without friction.

Red Al

RIP

Loved that Dutch team 74-78 and rooted for them both tournaments

Since then they've always been a sort of second international team for me

S/Side.Red

Quote:
Bit harsh btw pal:

On hearing today's news, United manager Louis van Gaal told ManUtd.com: "It is a very sad day for the footballing world, to lose one of the true legends of the game. My thoughts are with Johan's family at this difficult time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
One world is not enough for two such overpowering ego's to co-exist without friction.
Especially treading the same Ajax-Barca paths in the '90s

When LvG was at Barca he couldn't exactly count on Cruyff's public support

Unread 24-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Bit harsh btw pal:

On hearing today's news, United manager Louis van Gaal told ManUtd.com: "It is a very sad day for the footballing world, to lose one of the true legends of the game. My thoughts are with Johan's family at this difficult time."

Especially treading the same Ajax-Barca paths in the '90s

When LvG was at Barca he couldn't exactly count on Cruyff's public support
The Dutch, their excessive mardiness is really part of the charm.

There was a piece on here recently about their different approaches, both influenced strongly by Michels, but while LVG interpreted it in a very systematic way, Cruyff was more about individuality and expression. The latter is much easier to love of course, no doubt contributes to the chip on the shoulder
Closed Thread