United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:09 PM
signed dc

RIP Sad news, great player, cool £#%&!er too. Thoughts go out to Jordi.

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Terrible shock when a 60 a day smoker dies of lung cancer.

My mate Phil and I met him when we blagged UEFA hospitality badges in the CL years ago. We were chatting up and having Euro bantz with his Mrs at the sumptuous buffet - even then she was some way past her prime and Johann got the hump. Moody.

Anyway RIP Maestro and feel free to share your intimate Cruyff stories on here.

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Quicker than yours it seems.

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:26 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Once met Jordi, he seemed like he couldn't be arsed talking to a few United mad kids. I thought it was a dutch thing until I met Jaap Stam who was much more pleasant.

RIP Johan.

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Arnold Muhren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Looks like he's had a Cruyff turn for the worse

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:30 PM
suedeshoes

Saw him play when I was on holiday in Holland when I was about 12. 1984 it will have been. He was way into his 30's then but still won the league and was Dutch player of the year. My dad was a rugby man but he took me just because it was a chance to see Cruyff. One of 4 or 5 actual geniuses to play the game.

P.S. Anyone made the 'He'll be turning in his grave' gag yet?

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:42 PM
tatty

The tackles that 'dribblers' had to put up with in the 60s and 70s was ridiculous.

Him and Best in today's game would look even better than they did then.

Unread 24-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Jethro

Christ Genuinely shocked.

RIP Totaalvoetbal

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:19 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Actually, £#%&! him, the scouse bastard (etc, etc, etc)

Always about them isn't it?

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:20 PM
MonkeyOnMyBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Looks like he's had a Cruyff turn for the worse
Cruyff turns in his grave.

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:25 PM
wee man

Sad news. Seen him play once - Windsor Park in 1977. Best and Cruyff on the same pitch. Was George's last international cap - and close to being Cruyff's as well. Having helped get Holland to 1978 World Cup he decided not to go to the tournament itself. Strange one.

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:39 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee man
Sad news. Seen him play once - Windsor Park in 1977. Best and Cruyff on the same pitch. Was George's last international cap - and close to being Cruyff's as well. Having helped get Holland to 1978 World Cup he decided not to go to the tournament itself. Strange one.
Remember hearing a story about Best setting out to nutmeg Cruyff in an international to prove he was the best in the world...apparently called it pre-game and did it straight from kick off before acknowledging the journo in the crowd (with whom he'd discussed it with pre-game.)

here it is

http://www.90min.com/posts/2067463-1...gs-of-all-time

Quote:
​George Best is responsible for so many of the greatest memories for Manchester United and Northern Ireland fans. A pure footballing genius, the Boy from Belfast was capable of conjuring up moments of magic on a regular basis, as he did against the formidable Netherlands side of 1976 in this World Cup qualifier.

The game was an entertaining one, finishing 2-2, but perhaps the most memorable incident came from the boot of Northern Ireland's talismanic winger, when he slipped the ball through the feet of Cruyff, who, at that time, had a reasonable claim to being the greatest player in the world.

Some would perhaps be forgiven for thinking it was a gloriously impulsive piece of brilliance from Best, but it was pre-meditated. 'You're kidding aren't you? I tell you what I'll do tonight... I'll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get,' ​Best told Bill Elliott before the game. What a playboy, ey?

In fact, he nutmegged Johan Neeskens too, and he wasn't a bad player either.

Unfortunately, the camera didn't capture Best's craftsmanship, but the rest of the highlights from that game are included in the clip.

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop
Aww, £#%&! that. My dad said he was the best he's ever seen. Better than Maradona, Pele, Messi, all of them.

This is mesmerising...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe3YcIVW4Lg
Beautifully simple. So many of the great dribblers share that quality, no need for stepovers and flashy tricks when your balance and change of pace is so good.

Unread 24-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Grimson

Lots of videos out there. This is the best one.

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:09 PM
forzagarza

Been crying all afternoon and playing Jimmy Nail - Cruyffodile Tears on repeat

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:16 PM
ziggyman17

My all time favourite non Utd player..

RIP..

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:22 PM
denis lawless

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Bowie, Cruyff, Daniels.

RIP lads.
Holy trinity.....nqat

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Terrible shock when a 60 a day smoker dies of lung cancer.

My mate Phil and I met him when we blagged UEFA hospitality badges in the CL years ago. We were chatting up and having Euro bantz with his Mrs at the sumptuous buffet - even then she was some way past her prime and Johann got the hump. Moody.

He quit years ago didn't he?

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:38 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis lawless
Holy trinity.....nqat

Great pic of Daniels

Unread 24-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Remember hearing a story about Best setting out to nutmeg Cruyff in an international to prove he was the best in the world...apparently called it pre-game and did it straight from kick off before acknowledging the journo in the crowd (with whom he'd discussed it with pre-game.)

here it is

http://www.90min.com/posts/2067463-1...gs-of-all-time
Better version here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...sport.comment4

In 1976, Northern Ireland were drawn against Holland in Rotterdam as one of their group qualifying matches for the World Cup. Back then the reporters stayed at the same hotel as the team and travelled with them on the coach to the game. As it happened I sat beside George on the way to the stadium that evening.

Holland - midway between successive World Cup final appearances - and Johan Cruyff were at their peak at the time. George wasn't. I asked him what he thought of the acknowledged world number one and he said he thought the Dutchman was outstanding. 'Better than you?' I asked. George looked at me and laughed. 'You're kidding aren't you? I tell you what I'll do tonight... I'll nutmeg Cruyff first chance I get.' And we both laughed at the thought.

A couple of hours later the Irish players were announced one by one on to the pitch. Pat Jennings, as goalkeeper, was first out of the tunnel to appreciative applause. Best, as No 11, was last. 'And now,' revved up the PA guy, 'Number 11, Georgie [long pause] Best.' And out trotted George. Above him, a beautiful blonde reached over with a single, long-stemmed red rose.

Given his nature, his training and his peripheral vision there was no way he was going to miss her or the rose, so he stopped, trotted back, reached up to take the flower, kissed her hand and ran out on to the pitch waving his rose at the punters as the applause grew even louder.

Five minutes into the game he received the ball wide on the left. Instead of heading towards goal he turned directly infield, weaved his way past at least three Dutchmen and found his way to Cruyff who was wide right. He took the ball to his opponent, dipped a shoulder twice and slipped it between Cruyff's feet. As he ran round to collect it and run on he raised his right fist into the air.

Only a few of us in the press box knew what this bravado act really meant. Johan Cruyff the best in the world? Are you kidding? Only an idiot would have thought that on this evening.

http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showpo...00&postcount=3
Closed Thread