United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: VAR - Where Do You Stand?
"£#%&! VAR!" - Get rid. It's destroying the Beautiful Game. 46 76.67%
"Needs some tweaking". - On balance it will be good, with tweaks. 11 18.33%
"I don't like it. I LOVE IT!" - Needs to stay. It's been a great addition. 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM
MrBishi

Stand by my assessment of it last year, it's pointless when it gets used for subjective decisions; and trying to make things objective (like 'any part of the arm touching the ball = handball') just adds a host of other problems when the whole point of the original rule was to be open to interpretation, i.e. did the offender intend to interfere with the path of the ball using their arm.

There is plenty of room for technology in the game - the addition of goal-line cameras has been near-universally popular - but the current implementation of VAR needs binning off & re-thinking about what it should be there to achieve.

Unread 06-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBishi
Stand by my assessment of it last year, it's pointless when it gets used for subjective decisions; and trying to make things objective (like 'any part of the arm touching the ball = handball') just adds a host of other problems when the whole point of the original rule was to be open to interpretation, i.e. did the offender intend to interfere with the path of the ball using their arm.

There is plenty of room for technology in the game - the addition of goal-line cameras has been near-universally popular - but the current implementation of VAR needs binning off & re-thinking about what it should be there to achieve.
The fact that the ball is either 100% over the line or not makes goal-line cameras a no-brainer. It’s impossible to argue with. But with tackles and dives, you can have 12 different replays and five different people and there can still be arguments- he could have stayed on his feet, there was minimal contact, he was holding, etc. As robbo says, all it’s done is transfer the focus of controversy from refs to VAR.

Unread 06-12-2019, 05:25 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
Stupid over complication, open to interpretation again.

If you can be played onside by a defender who has no hope of getting near the ball then an attacker in a similar position should be offside.
whilst your second point is moderately interesting, this has always been the case.

it's not really that complicated to work out if someone is interfering with play, unless, maybe, it is martial. then, there is always a case for a call of inactivity.

no one... and I mean no one (you're totally on your own here).. wants a 30-yard screamer taken away by someone picking his nose near the corner flag. soz.

the only time that seems harsh is if defenders step up and the stranded man isn't deemed active, because he has affected the game. but we've lived with that.

Unread 06-12-2019, 05:29 PM
Fat Al

While we are on shitty rule changes, this new one about an uncontested drop ball if the ball hits the ref - another load of shite.

Last week, I saw a cracking 85th min equaliser for Hannover ruled out after a ball deflected off a defender, onto the ref, then onto a striker who then rifles into the top corner from 30 yds out. Bloody stupid.

Poor sod was then booked for dissent & still in a mard a few mins later got a second yellow for a foul,

Unread 06-12-2019, 05:31 PM
otbarney

I love it when it goes our way and hate it if it goes against us.

Unread 06-12-2019, 08:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Anti football shite.

Went under the radar a bit because it was our opponent, but Tyrone Mings scored a scissor kick volley against United to earn Aston Villa a point at Old Trafford and he didn't even bother celebrating because he knew it would be going to VAR.

How anyone can think this improves football overall is beyond me.

Unread 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Anti football shite.

Went under the radar a bit because it was our opponent, but Tyrone Mings scored a scissor kick volley against United to earn Aston Villa a point at Old Trafford and he didn't even bother celebrating because he knew it would be going to VAR.

It’s the Football Manager stat £#%&!ers. Let’s just get rid of footballers and feed everything into an algorithm to decide which team is the most powerful fashion accessory.

Unread 06-12-2019, 08:53 PM
red in cumbria

In the minority here with thinking it is a good idea in principle. However it has also been executed incompetently, which was extremely predictable.

Unread 06-12-2019, 09:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Anti football shite.

Fact.

Unread 06-12-2019, 09:36 PM
d_knight

VAR - Where Do You Stand?
Offside

Unread 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Buck

I liked it when it was used in the Champions League last season. The Dalot shot/handball vs PSG, Llorente's goal vs City, the scenes when Sterling's goal was ruled out right at the end...

But the Premier League in typical "best league in the world" fashion had to try and be different for the sake of being different. It is a ridiculous idea to get rid of the pitch side monitor for the referee to see for himself and decide for himself having received a consensus through his earpiece.

Unread 06-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Stickman

Hate it. Don’t even know when it’s supposed to be used.

For example in the Liverpool Everton game the other night there were penalty shouts a stamp and an elbow not even reviewed.

Also great goal and all, but going by the new handball rule against attackers, Deles goal would also have been chalked off on Wednesday night.

Football rules are a complete cluster £#%&! just now. Imo only goal line tech is needed and use VAR for things like mistaken identity.

Also, refs and linos pay should be reduced now as they’re don’t have the same responsibility Anymore.

Unread 07-12-2019, 12:09 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Hate it. Don’t even know when it’s supposed to be used.
This is, indeed, the main problem.

Unread 07-12-2019, 12:18 AM
armchair

it would be so bad but they seem to have put idiots in charge of the video review.

i think it should be a challenge system but even then it doesn't solve the poor decisions from var officials.

I was honestly surprised they didn't disallow Dele's (legit) goal v us.

It seems to be a terrible decision over 50% of the time

Unread 07-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
it would be so bad but they seem to have put idiots in charge of the video review.

i think it should be a challenge system but even then it doesn't solve the poor decisions from var officials.

I was honestly surprised they didn't disallow Dele's (legit) goal v us.

It seems to be a terrible decision over 50% of the time
Why ? Because of the handball ? It was used quickly and effectively, great goal.

You lose 2--1

Unread 07-12-2019, 01:00 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Why ? Because of the handball ? It was used quickly and effectively, great goal.

You lose 2--1
no need to even consult for that goal.

can understand why nerds like it. but real footballing people less so.

Unread 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
no need to even consult for that goal.

can understand why nerds like it. but real footballing people less so.

I can’t understand how they’ve managed to £#%&! it up so much but it’s a shining example of British mentality. Instead of using it to its advantage we’ve let it completely control the game and allowed it to over haul any kind of common sense.

Best example I’ve seen of it wasn’t football but cricket and as soon as I seen it I knew VAR was gong to be a shambles. I was watching Lancs a couple of months ago and there was a run out, clearly by about six feet and the umpire was stood at the wicket end that was taken down and he still turned to the video ref.

Unread 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM
believe

Love it

Unread 07-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Cream

Thumbs up

All for it.

Unread 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM
dunk

That was just cowardly refereeing tbh.
Closed Thread