United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:28 PM
jem

the point is that we should never have been trying get rid of smalling.

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:33 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
It's not that simple though. Could be wrong but I'd imagine they would've been happy to get rid of any and all of the above in the summer.

If you have a bunch of shitc***s you want to get rid of and someone offers to take the best of them off you, do you decline on the basis that you want to get rid of the worst ones first? We're either having a clearout or we're not. If there is a decent offer on the table for any of the unwanted, we should be taking it.

I think the club have done well in terms of getting rid of the deadwood over the last year. The big problem has been getting players in.
Fairpoint regarding the clear out and have always said Ole has done well getting rid of some of the shit.

However Ole did give Jones a new contract halfway through last season. He must have seen something in him that no £#%&!er in the world has for 9 years.

Id be suprised if any club ever paid money for Jones so we may now be waiting until 2023 to see the back of him.

Hes actually becoming a joke, almost like a cartoon of how not to defend.

Anyway back to Smalling, yeah that was handball

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:34 PM
dunk

Hadn't Ole been at the club about a fortnight when Jones got his new deal?

Edit: 2 months. Reckon that was in the pipeline prior to his arrival?

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:38 PM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Could maybe have had a word and cancelled it, also he choses to play him, albeit not very often.

I actually despise Jones and his lack of ambition. Never plays, doesnt give a £#%&!. £#%&! off to the championship and actually play.

Unread 10-01-2020, 05:46 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger II
It's not that simple though. Could be wrong but I'd imagine they would've been happy to get rid of any and all of the above in the summer.

If you have a bunch of shit@#%&!s you want to get rid of and someone offers to take the best of them off you, do you decline on the basis that you want to get rid of the worst ones first? We're either having a clearout or we're not. If there is a decent offer on the table for any of the unwanted, we should be taking it.

I think the club have done well in terms of getting rid of the deadwood over the last year. The big problem has been getting players in.
Well you could get rid of them all I suppose, but then you have the added problem of being too thin on the ground, as we’ve found out this season.

Unread 10-01-2020, 06:18 PM
goldfinger II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
the point is that we should never have been trying get rid of smalling.
To be fair, he would've made a better partner for Maguire than Lindelof (so would Tuanzebe), but I honestly don't care at all that he is gone.

He did better than them, but I would put him in the same category as Jones and Evans. Players who had talent, but never did enough to get to the next level - even when it looked like they were going to put it together, they would bottle it when it came to the crunch. All 3 are mid-table players with mid-table mindsets, IMO.

I think Smalling and Jones were and are awful examples to the young players in the squad, all the more so because they played in the Fergie era, and so maybe have a credibility they don't deserve. That decision to give Jones a new contract beggars belief.

Unread 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM
AK14

Quote:

Yep and considering Mou was a dead man walking since that summer it makes you wonder who’s making the decisions on who gets new contracts..

Unread 10-01-2020, 08:08 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Yep and considering Mou was a dead man walking since that summer it makes you wonder who’s making the decisions on who gets new contracts..
Owners. Can’t have assets just wandering away.

Unread 10-01-2020, 08:21 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Fairpoint regarding the clear out and have always said Ole has done well getting rid of some of the shit.

However Ole did give Jones a new contract halfway through last season. He must have seen something in him that no £#%&!er in the world has for 9 years.
Still not convinced that was primarily (if at all) the manager's doing.

Unread 10-01-2020, 10:13 PM
utd99

Quote:
Owners. Can’t have assets just wandering away.
Or in this case, crawling.

Unread 10-01-2020, 10:14 PM
dunk

Bailly is playing tonight

Unread 10-01-2020, 10:16 PM
utd99

Quote:
Bailly is playing tonight
Love Earth, Wind and Fire.

Unread 10-01-2020, 10:27 PM
Lok