United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-11-2019, 02:31 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
captaincy achieved
I’ve given Smalling so much shit over the years, but I admire anyone who reinvents themselves. Good for him.

Unread 29-11-2019, 07:21 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
captaincy achieved

Unread 29-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Stickman

He’s at least as good as the Swede though isn’t he?

Unread 29-11-2019, 09:03 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
He’s at least as good as the Swede though isn’t he?
Very much so. At least Smalling can head a ball.

Unread 29-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Macca1990

Smalldini > Lindeloaf

Unread 29-11-2019, 10:32 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot
Very much so. At least Smalling can head a ball.
A better defender yes, but Smalling’s deficiencies also leave him (and by extension, us) exposed during games. There was a period in time in which he was being hailed as a revitalised player for us, but after a few games of his supposed ‘dominance’ on the pitch it became clear that teams would intentionally sit off and let him have the ball, knowing he’d eventually come unstuck and leave an opening.

So yeah, he’s probably better at being an overall defender, but they both have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither are good enough to be here as starting centre backs.

Unread 29-11-2019, 01:40 PM
utd99

As of the filming of the video I was watching last night on YT he’d won 100% of the tackles he’s gone in for so far this season.
5 heading duels per game too. He’s obviously playing very well.

Unread 29-11-2019, 02:04 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
As of the filming of the video I was watching last night on YT he’d won 100% of the tackles he’s gone in for so far this season.
5 heading duels per game too. He’s obviously playing very well.
Probably helps having an actual midfield in front of you and full backs in the full back roles

Maybe, just maybe, it was the lack of midfield that was the problem with the CB's/defence as some sages might have suggested..

Unread 29-11-2019, 02:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Probably helps having an actual midfield in front of you and full backs in the full back roles

Maybe, just maybe, it was the lack of midfield that was the problem with the CB's/defence as some sages might have suggested..
Those are individual stats, not team stats. No matter how good or bad your team is, or how they’re set up, all you can do is win the challenges in front of you and apparently Smalling is; handily.

Has Lindelof won five headers since he’s been here?

Unread 29-11-2019, 02:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Those are individual stats, not team stats. No matter how good or bad your team is, or how they’re set up, all you can do is win the challenges in front of you and apparently Smalling is; handily.

Has Lindelof won five headers since he’s been here?
If you're having to attempt to win more tackles, the likelihood is you'll miss a few, the fewer tackles, and the circumstances in which you have to make them surely helps?

Smalling was always decent in the air tbh.

Unread 29-11-2019, 02:32 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
If you're having to attempt to win more tackles, the likelihood is you'll miss a few, the fewer tackles, and the circumstances in which you have to make them surely helps?

Smalling was always decent in the air tbh.
That’s true of course, and while I don’t know the actual numbers it’s Roma so I think it’s safe to assume at least average. Anyway, I think the one thing we can agree on is that, if you need a four man CB rotation to cover for injuries, Smalling is probably a safer bet as your 3rd or 4th man than either Jones or Bailly, and probably even Rojo.

Unread 29-11-2019, 06:50 PM
armchair

He's a vegan too. Probably the best country in the world to be a vegan.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:17 PM
Clownbones

I spent much of this summer insisting there isnt much between him and Maguire and I have nothing to change my mind.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:18 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
I spent much of this summer insisting there isnt much between him and Maguire and I have nothing to change my mind.
are you serious? Maguire can pass with both feet and doesn't grapple like Hulk Hogan.

Quote:
He's a vegan too. Probably the best country in the world to be a vegan.
egg pasta and pizza?

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
are you serious? Maguire can pass with both feet and doesn't grapple like Hulk Hogan.
He did at the weekend.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:31 PM
dunk

Quote:

egg pasta and pizza?
He doesn’t grapple because he’s too slow to get near anyone

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:

egg pasta and pizza?
Yes, I am.

All the concerns and Maguire have been realised.

He's slow, gets caught napping a lot and generally looks and seems better than he actually is.

Leicester hardly missing him

And Maguire can pass it. Who to? Pereira? Yaaaaay!

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Yes, I am.

All the concerns and Maguire have been realised.

He's slow, gets caught napping a lot and generally looks and seems better than he actually is.

Leicester hardly missing him

And Maguire can pass it. Who to? Pereira? Yaaaaay!
Maguire is the least of our worries and miles better than Smalling.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Maguire is the least of our worries and miles better than Smalling.
He is not our biggest problem by any stretch, but would you say we are any better defensively this season?

I wouldn't.

He isnt miles better. He's marginally better, at best.

He isn't a top class defender. Which is what we paid for.

Comparable in fee with De Ligt and VVD and not a patch on either.
Closed Thread