United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:17 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
Gotta say, I’m impressed that you managed to ignore the two paragraphs after that
Thanks
My point though is that’s the one argument people always start with it fall back on. Take away this ‘natural talent’ or ‘big potential’ defence and you’re not left with very much

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:22 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Thanks
My point though is that’s the one argument people always start with it fall back on. Take away this ‘natural talent’ or ‘big potential’ defence and you’re not left with very much
See I also find Martial incredibly frustrating, but I still disagree with you. I really do think since his return to the side we have improved massively up front. Would love to know how many goals we scored with him in the side compared to how many we scored without him.

Yesterday aside, I’ve watched him play some lovely stuff with Rashford and James since his return. He’s also probably a more clinical finisher than Rashford, and right now is a more complete forward than Greenwood (who I’m hoping will be our main man up front within the next 5 years). Do I think he is a 10/10 player? No. Are there other players and positions that concern me far more? All day long.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:24 AM
believe

His average of 10 goals a season certainly backs the clinical tag.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:26 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
His average of 10 goals a season certainly backs the clinical tag.
Put him in a City or a Liverpool and he’d be hitting 20+ with ease. Stats aren’t always an accurate representation of what actually occurs on the pitch. HTH.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:27 AM
believe

Quote:
Put him in a City or a Liverpool and he’d be hitting 20+ with ease. Stats aren’t always an accurate representation of what actually occurs on the pitch. HTH.
Ah right, he’s another of those that need better players around him.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:28 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Ah right, he’s another of those that need better players around him.
Do you read peoples posts properly?

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:32 AM
believe

Quote:
Do you read peoples posts properly?
Next Wednesday

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:35 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Next Wednesday
You’ve got the wrong guy if you think I won’t call out Martial’s deficiencies; at the beginning of the season I wanted him gone. Genuinely think he’s had a positive impact since returning from injury, has looked a much better player at points and deserves the chance to continue. My big concerns are not Martial, but rather our non-existent midfield which will cost us a lot more points this season than any of our forwards.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:36 AM
believe

Quote:
You’ve got the wrong guy if you think I won’t call out Martial’s deficiencies; at the beginning of the season I wanted him gone. Genuinely think he’s had a positive impact since returning from injury, has looked a much better player at points and deserves the chance to continue. My big concerns are not Martial, but rather our non-existent midfield which will cost us a lot more points this season than any of our forwards.
Why do you keep typing with small letters?

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:38 AM
shenwen

Quote:
See I also find Martial incredibly frustrating, but I still disagree with you. I really do think since his return to the side we have improved massively up front. Would love to know how many goals we scored with him in the side compared to how many we scored without him.

Yesterday aside, I’ve watched him play some lovely stuff with Rashford and James since his return. He’s also probably a more clinical finisher than Rashford, and right now is a more complete forward than Greenwood (who I’m hoping will be our main man up front within the next 5 years). Do I think he is a 10/10 player? No. Are there other players and positions that concern me far more? All day long.
We have played better with him in the team. We’ve also played just as bad. I’m not sure if the advantage is necessarily Martial himself, or just having an additional forward player.

Unread 25-11-2019, 09:40 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
We have played better with him in the team. We’ve also played just as bad. I’m not sure if the advantage is necessarily Martial himself, or just having an additional forward player.
It might even just be genuine appreciation on my part that I don’t have to watch Lukaku any more. I’ve been beaten down and I didn’t even know it. The glazers

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:11 AM
suedeshoes

He's shite.

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Bunker Buster

Inconsistently brilliant....

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:22 AM
sweetleftfoot

"Put him in a City or a Liverpool and he’d be hitting 20+ with ease"

Guardiola/Klopp would drag his laconic arse off the pitch after 20 minutes after he meanders aimlessly in the general direction of the centre half as said centre half takes all the time in the world to play out to midfield from the back. Unfortunately Solksjaer has to put up with it as his options are so limited.

The better teams (and some less so) play a pressing game that allows them to gain possession back time after time. Martial can undoubtedly play. His pass to James for the 3rd goal yesterday was perfectly weighted into the run. Unfortunately he doesn't work hard enough and that will stop him become a top, top player.

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetleftfoot

Guardiola/Klopp would drag his laconic arse off the pitch after 20 minutes after he meanders aimlessly in the general direction of the centre half as said centre half takes all the time in the world to play out to midfield from the back. Unfortunately Solksjaer has to put up with it as his options are so limited.

The better teams (and some less so) play a pressing game that allows them to gain possession back time after time. Martial can undoubtedly play. His pass to James for the 3rd goal yesterday was perfectly weighted into the run. Unfortunately he doesn't work hard enough and that will stop him become a top, top player.
Preach

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:26 AM
NedKelly

Quote:

You criticise his work rate and yet what is he meant to do when the midfield is non-existent? Plenty of times I see Rashford’s head go down and he’ll stop making the runs, is he lazy?

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:47 AM
sweetleftfoot

Quote:
You criticise his work rate and yet what is he meant to do when the midfield is non-existent? Plenty of times I see Rashford’s head go down and he’ll stop making the runs, is he lazy?
At times yes very much so, he will hide. But he doesn't lead the attack, which is where the press stems from. Also scores more and contributes more assists than Martial, and doesn't get bullied like Martial. How many times did Martial get mugged by Jagielka when he did get a ball to feet yesterday with his back to goal? He wants to be a number 9 but isn't physical enough and isn't willing enough to put in the hard yards and get in defenders faces.

Making runs for non-existent balls from a terrible midfield and chasing down defenders would make for a very frustrating afternoon, but watch Vardy do it in good sides and bad. Horrible little rat? Yes. Would I take him over Martial? In the short term definitely yes.

Completely agree about the midfield by the way, but this thread is not about that can of true despond.

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:54 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
At times yes very much so, he will hide. But he doesn't lead the attack, which is where the press stems from. Also scores more and contributes more assists than Martial, and doesn't get bullied like Martial. How many times did he get mugged when he did get a ball to feet yesterday with his back to goal. He wants to be a number 9 but isn't physical enough and isn't willing enough to put in the hard yards.

Making runs for non-existent balls from a terrible midfield and chasing down defenders would make for a very frustrating afternoon, but watch Vardy do it in good sides and bad. Horrible little rat? Yes. Would I take him over Martial? In the short term definitely yes.

Completely agree about the midfield by the way, but this thread is not about that can of true despond.
Yeah I think we are pretty aligned on how we view the squad right now. Can’t disagree with you on Martial’s lack of physicality but it’s not uncommon to have one forward be more about the nuanced stuff and the other to do the physical toiling. I definitely see a bright future for Rashford and Martial together but can appreciate why people have lost patience with him. Worth noting though that he was shunted out wide for several years and this is his first season back as a centre forward.

No point thinking about canning him now anyway, even if we get another forward in Jan, we still couldn’t afford to move him on yet simply because we have such a lack of squad depth. Just want us to sign a midfielder; anyone would do at this point.

Unread 25-11-2019, 10:58 AM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Absolutely shite yesterday, looked even less arsed than usual. Really hoping Erling is coming in January
This.

Quote:
Next Wednesday

Unread 25-11-2019, 12:50 PM
utd99

Martial’s like the bird in the club who looks better and better the longer the night goes on. Unfortunately it’s inevitable that at some point the lights go on and you sober up.
Closed Thread