United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Ethers

We all hate Liverpool ffs, but I genuinely cannot imaging living my life so utterly petrified of something ‘good’ happening to them, that it influences what you want to happen at United

Unread 22-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
literally not one thing will change other than us improving in all the areas we’ve been praying we’d improve in over the last ten years.

Keith - didn’t you spend two years telling us how amazing city’s youth development was and how amazing the work city had done in the local community under Abu Dhabi?
No. I was concerned about the massive investment city were making in all their off field activities whilst united were doing absolutely £#%&! all. Most said I was talking out of my arse albeit it seems everyone is now saying Carrington needs re-building and our youth system has been overhauled.

What I find amazing is that so few local players have so far successfully emerged from city’s giant investment. An abject failure. But city’s system is like a trawler net - I know because my son got caught up in it for a period - and I think that’s unhealthy for United and the north west.

City’s investment in the city at large is incredible - they’re just about to open a new arena facility next to the ground that will drag people away from the city centre. I thinks it’s disproportionate, misplaced and a bit ugly but there’s no doubt it will have a positive regenerative effect on east Manchester. United, meanwhile do nothing - seem unarsed where they sit in relation to their surroundings, their standing in Manchester etc. it’s a missed opportunity but I’m not advocating city’s approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
he’s got you there

Only if you’ve got the iq of a slug.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Bunker Buster

Wtf has Liverpool FC got to do with it ?

Absolutely nothing will change, apart from everything....

You're stupid to think they won't put their prints over every aspect of the club and march day...

Some are ok with this and chucking ludicrous amounts of money at superstars...

I'm a little more wary...

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:06 PM
Ethers

Big Jim has talked about the club being a community asset, deepening the ties with the local area, pursuing a fan-centred approach to football governance etc, and he’s been laughed at.

But apparently it should be taken as a given that the City model of throwing money at everything, including the local area, is the only way it can be done.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:10 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Big Jim has talked about the club being a community asset, deepening the ties with the local area, pursuing a fan-centred approach to football governance etc, and he’s been laughed at.

But apparently it should be taken as a given that the City model of throwing money at everything, including the local area, is the only way it can be done.
Yep, what has stunned me during this is importance of the local area and the training facilities to a bunch of online football manager nerds, that ;

A) never go the game or visit the local area
B) don't train or work at Carrington training centre...

But as we've heard for years, the ground is barely standing, Trafford is a dump and needs help and the absolute state of the kitchens at Carrington....

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:16 PM
believe

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:16 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Yep, what has stunned me during this is importance of the local area and the training facilities to a bunch of online football manager nerds, that ;

But as we've heard for years, the ground is barely standing, Trafford is a dump and needs help and the absolute state of the kitchens at Carrington....

So true. Amazing how much the Twitter Qatari Reds crew care so much about investment in an area that they couldn’t find on a £#%&!ing map.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:18 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
We all hate Liverpool ffs, but I genuinely cannot imaging living my life so utterly petrified of something ‘good’ happening to them, that it influences what you want to happen at United
Its not JUST Liverpool though, is it?

We're already light years behind £#%&!ing City who have mopped up since the Glazer effect has really hit home. Chelsea have won 2 European Cups and leagues and only Leicester and a covid tainted Liverpool have broken the City/Chelsea dominance of leagues in the past 10 ish years.

Whatever, my point is, and just answer this:

Would you rather Qatar/Middle East at United or Qatar at another club to go with City, Chelsea and Newcastle? Its not ideal, far from it but it is what it is. I don't want another 10 years of this shit, let alone another 20 years of it.

At the end of everything, I want United back at the top - not to be an eternal joke in a world dominated by cash.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:19 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:

Exactly, the glazer model is at the other extreme - do absolutely nothing do the bear minimum. A point I was making all those years ago that was largely ridiculed at the time.

No club needs to do what city have done but all clubs can do more than what the glazers have done.

Big Jim seems to have got the right balance tbf.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:21 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Exactly, the glazer model is at the other extreme - do absolutely nothing do the bear minimum. A point I was making all those years ago that was largely ridiculed at the time.

No club needs to do what city have done but all clubs can do more than what the glazers have done.

Big Jim seems to have got the right balance tbf.
Shame he's going to get blown out of the water

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Its not JUST Liverpool though, is it?

We're already light years behind £#%&!ing City who have mopped up since the Glazer effect has really hit home. Chelsea have won 2 European Cups and leagues and only Leicester and a covid tainted Liverpool have broken the City/Chelsea dominance of leagues in the past 10 ish years.

Whatever, my point is, and just answer this:

Would you rather Qatar/Middle East at United or Qatar at another club to go with City, Chelsea and Newcastle? Its not ideal, far from it but it is what it is. I don't want another 10 years of this shit, let alone another 20 years of it.

At the end of everything, I want United back at the top - not to be an eternal joke in a world dominated by cash.
Yep been shit ain't it, light years behind we are...

You are spoilt by others success, jealous of filthy cash and pretty looking tunnel clubs ...

Premier League Runner-up 2005-06
Football League Cup Winner 2005-06
Premier League Champion 2006-07
FA Cup Runner-up 2006-07
FA Community Shield Winner 2007
Premier League Champion 2007-08
UEFA Champions League Winner 2007-08
FIFA Club World Cup Winner 2008
FA Community Shield Winner 2008
Premier League Champion 2008-09
Football League Cup Winner 2008-09
UEFA Champions League Runner-up 2008-09
Premier League Runner-up 2009-10
Football League Cup Winner 2009-10
FA Community Shield Winner 2010
Premier League Champion 2010-11
UEFA Champions League Runner-up 2010-11
FA Community Shield Winner 2011
Premier League Runner-up 2011-12
Premier League Champion 2012-13
FA Community Shield Winner 2013
FA Cup Winner 2015-16
FA Community Shield Winner 2016
Football League Cup Winner 2016-17
UEFA Europa League Winner 2016-17
FA Cup Runner-up 2017-18
Premier League Runner-up 2017-18
Premier League Runner-up 2020-21
UEFA Europa League Runner-up 2020-21
Football League Cup Winner 2022-23

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:25 PM
silv

Quote:

You are spoilt by others success, jealous of filthy cash and pretty looking tunnel clubs ...

FA Cup Runner-up 2006-07
FA Cup Winner 2015-16
FA Cup Runner-up 2017-18

£#%&!ing hell

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:29 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
£#%&!ing hell
98% of British football clubs would bite your hand off to be involved in any of those years.....

It's ridiculous to say "oooooo please buy us, I don't want Liverpool to get bought and they get good again"

Like we have some god given right to be on top every year fighting for all four cups (currently are)

Keeping up with the Jones's is a horrid human trait ..

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:33 PM
believe

Looks like bunks has been a glazer inner all along.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:33 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Looks like bunks has been a glazer inner all along.
Bullshit, but you know this....

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:34 PM
silv

Quote:
98% of British football clubs would bite your hand off to be involved in any of those years.....

It's ridiculous to say "oooooo please buy us, I don't want Liverpool to get bought and they get good again"

Like we have some god given right to be on top every year fighting for all four cups (currently are)

Keeping up with the Jones's is a horrid human trait ..
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:36 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Genuinely doesn't sound like it.

£#%&!ing hell. Standards at an all time low if you're happy with the last 10 years.

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:36 PM
Ethers

An eternal joke ffs.

I’m surprised some people still support United tbh given how difficult it’s apparently been during these ‘barren’ years.

I remember seeing my Dad cry when we finally won the league after 26 years. Some fans have become so spoiled that they think ten years without a league title is reason enough to abandon their principles and chase whatever owner has the most money available to buy the bestest players and win the league as soon as they can

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:40 PM
believe

Quote:
I assume you’ll be giving up your three games a season if the Qataris get in?

Unread 22-03-2023, 02:42 PM
red red robbo

Quote:

I fit into both those categories, but I agree with you, the whole thing feels a bit icky.

Quote:

So true. Amazing how much the Twitter Qatari Reds crew care so much about investment in an area that they couldn’t find on a £#%&!ing map.
Literally just did this to get a bird's eye perspective of options around redeveloping OT. It really is a bit tight isn't it

Quote:

FA Cup Runner-up 2006-07
FA Cup Winner 2015-16
FA Cup Runner-up 2017-18

I know why you included runners up spots, it's indicative of the level we are operating at, but it feels a bit Didier Drogba, vice championsish (it was him who had that on his "CV" for years they finished second wasn't it?)

Quote:
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
If I hadn't been so poor, I wouldn't appreciate such riches
Closed Thread