United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 16-12-2023, 12:18 AM
Hyman_Roth

I think if he’d arrived in a different era, been surrounded by better players, had played under a different manager who managed him differently, had played for a different club and in a different league and wasn’t shit than it might have worked out.

Unread 16-12-2023, 12:20 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Don’t remember anyone complaining about the fee at the time tbf.

Lots of “exactly the kind of signing we should be making” type chat iirc.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
bunks has backed some whoppers, but it's sparky for whom I feel sorry.

turns out merson saged it.

and ziggy, to be fair. but merson is funnier.

Unread 16-12-2023, 12:32 AM
tatty

He was just a lightweight nothing player.

We could have thread just about those.

Unread 16-12-2023, 12:33 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
We could have thread just about those.

Unread 16-12-2023, 01:37 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medlock
And yet was utter shit whichever manager he played for
A literal sin against logic
If you look at it from that angle then yes, he has been bad in the main. I’m talking more about how he was managed in and his formative months with us.

We didn’t sign a poor footballer from what I saw of him.

Unread 16-12-2023, 01:50 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
I think if he’d arrived in a different era, been surrounded by better players, had played under a different manager who managed him differently, had played for a different club and in a different league and wasn’t shit than it might have worked out.
Somebody once told me that they were surprised that I didn’t make it as a pro footballer.

That’s pretty much what I answered.

Unread 16-12-2023, 05:21 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth

I was definitely one of those that thought it would be a great signing. Sadly it was a disaster. Even being reunited with his ex manager couldn't save him. But sure, United ruined him

Think we'll be having a similar thread about Antony in 12 months time.

Unread 16-12-2023, 05:27 AM
believe

So hindsight is that the club has been terribly mismanaged and millions have been squandered on the wrong players, just not Donny.

Will never forget that amazing 45 minutes he had in the 3-1 defeat to Watford.

Unread 16-12-2023, 08:14 AM
westcoastvan

I just feel he was never given the chance to really adapt to the league and shine at the club.

He just pretty much sat on the bench and played short cameos near the end of games for three years of his career.

Unlike Fred, who got an endless runs at the starting 11 with Ole.

Unread 16-12-2023, 09:00 AM
Coracao

Probably because he is nowhere near good enough. One of the most ineffective players I've ever seen in the shirt. He makes Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba look like good signings

Unread 16-12-2023, 09:11 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen

I was definitely one of those that thought it would be a great signing. Sadly it was a disaster. Even being reunited with his ex manager couldn't save him. But sure, United ruined him

Think we'll be having a similar thread about Antony in 12 months time.
Same. I genuinely do think he was badly mismanaged and he also had horrific luck. And of course everything we touch turns to absolute shit as we well know. I even continued to defend him when the evidence was growing. But the evidence was ultimately grim viewing.

Unread 16-12-2023, 09:55 AM
Finport Red

It ended for him fully when he got that bad knee injury. He was in last chance saloon, had his old manager in charge, and that happened.

I think the oddest signing we’ve made in a while, as he couldn’t even get a start when we bought him.

Unread 16-12-2023, 09:59 AM
redhegemony

Looked like a small boy on a primary school trip who had lost the partner he was paired up with.

Unread 16-12-2023, 10:11 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvan
I just feel he was never given the chance to really adapt to the league and shine at the club.

He just pretty much sat on the bench and played short cameos near the end of games for three years of his career.

Unlike Fred, who got an endless runs at the starting 11 with Ole.
Fred's won all 17 games he's played for Fenerbahce.

Makes you think.

Unread 16-12-2023, 01:15 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Looked like a small boy on a primary school trip who had lost the partner he was paired up with.
yup. made me pine for kagawa.

Unread 16-12-2023, 04:59 PM
Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Fred's won all 17 games he's played for Fenerbahce.

Makes you think.
Fred was twice the player. Beeky got no minutes because he was crap. Obviously signed by Woodward after a late night YouTube and Stella sesh.

Unread 16-12-2023, 05:39 PM
Sheik JaBooty

Ajax have done pretty well out of us.

Unread 16-12-2023, 06:00 PM
dinger

They’ve pulled our pants down nqat

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:19 AM
Dr Stranger

Unread 19-12-2023, 10:22 AM
marlo

the man they claimed would replace pogba.

mad ting