United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:30 AM
Hyman_Roth

I’m struggling to see past his limitations and how they will be resolved in later seasons. There are qualities to his game no doubt - he’s direct, a risk taker, works hard - all stuff we need. his decision making and final ball are shocking at times but granted, those are areas he might be able to improve although I’m not convinced (Nani). But his inability to use both feet, in how that limits his game and that of everyone around him is £#%&!ing ridiculous. Struggling to see how he’s going to resolve that one overnight and I’m amazed he’s considered as highly as he is given he’s basically disabled.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:38 AM
dunk

He made the goal yesterday with his right foot

I will not accept any Nani slander either. Be gone.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:40 AM
believe

Yeah I think the Nani comparison was a bad one, he developed in to a fine player. It makes you wonder what the forum would think of him if he played for the dippers. (Antony not Nani)

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk View Post

The Antony narrative.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Coracao

Nani would probably be our best player now tbf.

Our standards are not what they were.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:44 AM
dunk

There's been plenty of wingers who are frustrating and make bad decisions when they're young, it's part of the learning curve.

As mentioned earlier, at the start of the season he was flitting in and out of games, not attacking/running past players, not using his right foot at all etc. Now we're getting the ball to him more, supporting him better and he's varying his game more. Pretty clear he's improving all the time imo, despite the rest of the team struggling at times.

Plenty of improvement still to come, of course, not sure what the problem is.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:48 AM
AK14

Quote:
There's been plenty of wingers who are frustrating and make bad decisions when they're young, it's part of the learning curve.

As mentioned earlier, at the start of the season he was flitting in and out of games, not attacking/running past players, not using his right foot at all etc. Now we're getting the ball to him more, supporting him better and he's varying his game more. Pretty clear he's improving all the time imo, despite the rest of the team struggling at times.

Plenty of improvement still to come, of course, not sure what the problem is.
I think you could say that for literally every winger that’s ever played the game tbh, it’s what they do.

Agree with the rest too.

Unread 14-05-2023, 10:57 AM
NedKelly

Iirc Salah was deemed not good enough at a similar age, got sold by Chelsea for peanuts before coming back to Liverpool and turning into one of their most important players.

Some of the mini-Mourinhos on here don’t know what to do with raw talent. Thank God they aren’t running the club.

Unread 14-05-2023, 11:08 AM
shenwen

Quote:

Basically disabled.

That missed header was tragic but he made up for it. Should have had a goal - deserved one. Got to say though, Garanacho showed in 10 mins the level Antony should/could be at if he is to be a generational talent (he isn’t)

Unread 14-05-2023, 11:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post

Basically disabled.

That missed header was tragic but he made up for it. Should have had a goal - deserved one. Got to say though, Garanacho showed in 10 mins the level Antony should/could be at if he is to be a generational talent (he isn’t)
That's just nonesense Garnacho £#%&!ed a 5 on 3 with his only other meaningful touch while on the pitch. He had a run into an empty half pitch, fresh as a daisy, against a £#%&!ed opponent in the 94th minute or whatever. Not knocking what he did, but let's not be daft.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:07 PM
Hyman_Roth

Sorry, my mistake, thinking about it, his right peg is very similar to Beckhams now that it’s been pointed out to me that his right foot has once or twice touched a ball.

Genuinely, the Nani comparison is off. Nani was far better than Antony - just the decision making bit is similar.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:09 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
Sorry, my mistake, thinking about it, his right peg is very similar to Beckhams now that it’s been pointed out to me that his right foot has once or twice touched a ball.

Genuinely, the Nani comparison is off. Nani was far better than Antony - just the decision making bit is similar.
Beckham's left peg being on a par with Antony's, of course.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:29 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
That's just nonesense Garnacho £#%&!ed a 5 on 3 with his only other meaningful touch while on the pitch. He had a run into an empty half pitch, fresh as a daisy, against a £#%&!ed opponent in the 94th minute or whatever. Not knocking what he did, but let's not be daft.
Pretty much his first touch, ffs. That’s why players have a kick about before kick off.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell View Post
Pretty much his first touch, ffs. That’s why players have a kick about before kick off.
Not knocking him, just saying that the statement that Antony needs to be where Garnacho is based on a 10 minute cameo isn't right or fair.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:37 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Correct.

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:40 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Not knocking him, just saying that the statement that Antony needs to be where Garnacho is based on a 10 minute cameo isn't right or fair.
Fair enough. Early days for both. Not entirely convinced by invented wingers, all seems a bit binary. Nobody worried about Giggs/Beckham etc. All appears a bit rigid to me. A bit more interchanging wouldn’t do any harm during the course of the game

Unread 14-05-2023, 12:42 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth View Post
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell View Post
Fair enough. Early days for both. Not entirely convinced by invented wingers, all seems a bit binary. Nobody worried about Giggs/Beckham etc. All appears a bit rigid to me. A bit more interchanging wouldn’t do any harm during the course of the game
Would love a Lee Sharpe or Andrei Kanchelskis type, personally, but they don't seem to exist anymore

Unread 14-05-2023, 01:04 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Would love a Lee Sharpe or Andrei Kanchelskis type, personally, but they don't seem to exist anymore
Never know. We seem to have a few up and coming wide players. Depends how they are deployed.Get a proper striker in and that adds Rashford to the list

Unread 14-05-2023, 01:18 PM
Jethro

Thought he was fantastic yesterday. He's almost there.

That header though £#%&! me.