View Poll Results: erik ten hag
in 55 55.00%
out 45 45.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:06 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
what style exactly are you looking to play with Lindelof, Evans, Amrambat, The Scottish Player, Rashford etc?
Against the best team in the world, no less.

Our first 11 would have struggled to beat that lot.

Expecting that cobbled together mob of kids, malcontents and just plain not good enoughs to suddenly pitch up and give City's once-in-a-generation team a run for their money is just daft tbh, no matter what you think of the manager.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:10 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

Expecting that cobbled together mob of kids, malcontents and just plain not good enoughs to suddenly pitch up and give City's once-in-a-generation team a run for their money is just daft tbh, no matter what you think of the manager.
Careful pal. Can't be having sensible posts like this.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:19 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

The current treble holders, winners of the league the past 3 years, and 1 point off the top of the table this season (having won 4 of their last 5 games) aren’t THAT good, apparently.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
The same style no matter who steps in - the quality reduces giving you less chance of winning but the first team squad should all know what to do, where to be on the park to receive the ball etc way too hard for us though.
I mean, we defended superbly for the majority of the game. What's largely considered the best team in the world were struggling and we ran out of legs, and had absolutely no one to turn to on the bench.

I'm all for sticking it to the manager when it's due but I really don't know what people were expecting yesterday with what we have available.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:35 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley View Post
I mean, we defended superbly for the majority of the game.
not really. we had to thank onana mostly and haaland for being too stupid to use his head from inside the six yard box. we packed the defence narrow and there were a couple of good challenges. superb might be a stretch. it is odd to see united being competent, but it was more a case of not playing stupid, open, risky football and losing the ball with everyone out of position. superb would have been pushing the fullbacks out a bit to stop the wingers getting the ball. superb would have been having a left back who could stop foden cutting inside.

10h is kind of right about the margins. we created three good chances in the first half on top of the goal and failed to make the best of them. rashford and nacho's failure to control simply, run faster and be more confident cost us. is that margins? they also only came back into it when rashford fell over instead of trying to score. is that margins? rashford doesn't believe in himself. certainly not more than he believes in walker. is that margins?

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:42 AM
MUFC One Love

Yes, city are a great side but we should be offering more, simple as.

That was like watching Stoke going there in the cup.

Unread 04-03-2024, 11:52 AM
shenwen

At no point were city struggling. It was just a matter of time. They do this every week. I’m not fussed about the result but would have preferred us to be able to hold the ball for longer than four or five passes. I’m pretty sure other teams have gone to the ethiad and managed that at least.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:14 PM
The taste of...

It was a bobbins team available but I reckon we
We’re a Rasmus away from getting something out of that

He’d definitely have worked the keeper on those three chances Rashford got

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:16 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
At no point were city struggling. It was just a matter of time. They do this every week. I’m not fussed about the result but would have preferred us to be able to hold the ball for longer than four or five passes. I’m pretty sure other teams have gone to the ethiad and managed that at least.
Agreed. Even without injuries the squads not good enough, and I don't think anyone is going to argue otherwise. But it should be better than what we saw yesterday in terms of performance, even with the injuries we have. Other than an outrageous strike we offered absolutely nothing. Brentford gave them more of a game a couple of weeks ago.

Don't see how he'll still be at the club next season, which is probably a good thing. At this point I'd happily see him go before the Liverpool game and let someone else, anyone else, have a go at it.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:18 PM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Agreed. Even without injuries the squads not good enough, and I don't think anyone is going to argue otherwise. But it should be better than what we saw yesterday in terms of performance, even with the injuries we have. Other than an outrageous strike we offered absolutely nothing. Brentford gave them more of a game a couple of weeks ago.

Don't see how he'll still be at the club next season, which is probably a good thing. At this point I'd happily see him go before the Liverpool game and let someone else, anyone else, have a go at it.
It's not just yesterday, we are dog shit in general. Yesterday was better than expected. Which says its all.

Unread 04-03-2024, 12:28 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen View Post
At no point were city struggling. It was just a matter of time.
they weren't struggling, because of the way we played. they were, however, losing. it was not inevitable.

Unread 04-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Baron

In for the rest of the season, but frankly we're a 5-0 loss in the cup from him getting potted at this rate.

You simply need to buy better players than the ones he has in order to progress. & then you need the good ones to stay fit.

He's not bought well, and his best players can't stay on the pitch long enough to pull him out of the shit when we need them.

Finding it hard to warm to him, he doesn't communicate well & we don't play attractive football.

Might end up as BJR's statement of intent - like Orson Welles on set, you need to fire someone to make them respect & fear you. Unless we get our best players back & start winning a lot more games we're much more likely to see a change.

I'm not averse to a big £#%&! off Ineos based reset at this point but he deserves to stick it out to the end of the season & get some momentum back.

Unread 04-03-2024, 01:52 PM
armchair

Starting to remind me more and more of Christian Gross at Spurs.

Unread 04-03-2024, 01:57 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
they weren't struggling, because of the way we played. they were, however, losing. it was not inevitable.
we needed to be perfect. we weren't. we held on and did well for a while - could see the organisation throughout the team. Then The Scottish Player did his usual half arsed cover, Foden had a gap and they scored. That for me was always going to happen.

Ultimately though, that game changes nothing. We didn't look any worse than we've looked all season. That's the standard the manager has us at right now. Rasmus and Mainoo the only bright spots in one of the worst seasons I can remember.

Unread 04-03-2024, 01:59 PM
Chris Quayd

We’re shit against top teams, we’re shit against middle of the road teams, we’re shit in Europe, we’re not completely shit against League 1 sides. Conclusion: we’re mostly shit

Unread 04-03-2024, 02:08 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd View Post
We’re shit against top teams, we’re shit against middle of the road teams, we’re shit in Europe, we’re not completely shit against League 1 sides. Conclusion: we’re mostly shit
Progress

Unread 04-03-2024, 02:18 PM
ZiggyStardust

The problem isn't that we didn't get a result at City, it's how we played and the fact that it felt this was the only way we could play

We played like at best a relegation placed team would going to City
That's not acceptable IMO

Most on here think Chelsea are shit but they went there and took the game to City
Even the likes of Brentford and Everton put up better showings at the Eithad than we did yesterday and you can't be telling me that the side we had out yesterday don't have better players than those two teams

Let's be honest we've been shit even when our best team has been available this season

There's just no way of playing or structure to how we try to play
Every match feels like the first time these players have ever played together before

It's kinda of pointless talking about ETH's future as he's clearly gone in the summer
Has only one year left on his contract and INEOS are smart enough to know it's a waste of time having a lame duck manager for next season so either you give him a new contract or sack him and after such a diabolical season the likelyhood of ETH getting a new contract is next to zero

Unread 04-03-2024, 03:34 PM
croady26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
not really. we had to thank onana mostly and haaland for being too stupid to use his head from inside the six yard box. we packed the defence narrow and there were a couple of good challenges. superb might be a stretch. it is odd to see united being competent, but it was more a case of not playing stupid, open, risky football and losing the ball with everyone out of position. superb would have been pushing the fullbacks out a bit to stop the wingers getting the ball. superb would have been having a left back who could stop foden cutting inside.

10h is kind of right about the margins. we created three good chances in the first half on top of the goal and failed to make the best of them. rashford and nacho's failure to control simply, run faster and be more confident cost us. is that margins? they also only came back into it when rashford fell over instead of trying to score. is that margins? rashford doesn't believe in himself. certainly not more than he believes in walker. is that margins?
Yeah then much like the majority of big games we completely fell off in the second half. Very lucky they went easy on us in stoppage time. Erik will probably still survive even when scousers knock us out of cup

Unread 04-03-2024, 05:58 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post

I think it's the shit we see every week regardless of opposition that people have most issue with.

Yesterday was just another inept performance

Unread 04-03-2024, 08:26 PM
Stickman

Definitely feels like a good idea going into next season with the manager in last chance saloon.